switching VINs...

Author Topic: switching VINs...  (Read 14984 times)

Oldschool

Re: switching VINs...
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:47:30 PM »
Take from someone in the auto biz licensed in 2 states.... Can you say PRISON?

Hey Big,

with your experience in this field, what would a person do if they found themselves owning a car that has been switched.   :swear:   Are they S.O.L?   :stomp:      :cooldancing:  ........................Oldschool

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:51:07 PM »
Old,
I would guess you are.  Be like buying something that is "hot" you wouldn't always know, but at some point it would catch you.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Oldschool

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:56:25 PM »
Old,
I would guess you are.  Be like buying something that is "hot" you wouldn't always know, but at some point it would catch you.

Boy that would suck!   :swear:  Find the car you always wanted, spend a fortune on it only to discover later that you were duped!  :dupe:  Make you want to hunt somebody down.   :pullinghair:     :cooldancing:   ..................Oldschool

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:59:24 PM »
unfortunately it happens more than you think.  Everyone was talking about prison on this thread, THAT IS WHERE I WOULD END UP!

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:03:37 PM »
Consider this................ If an enterprising cop finds a VIN that is suspect, or one that is known to have been changed, it is possible and in fact, probable, that the car would be impounded and torn apart to try to find other VIN's to match or to try to identify from whom the car may have been stolen. It is a big problem if that car had been damaged by either this tear down or the towing or the storage after the fact. It is also not the police's problem to pay for or fix that problem. In fact, the car may sit for an extended period of time, all alone and in a storage yard during the investigation and later to follow court actions of the parties involved.
Don't think it can happen? I am a 30 year cop and know first hand of a restored Vette that sat for at least a year during one such investigation. Just a little side note to that, we had rumor that the tow lot owner was driving the car at times during it's secure storage.
Don't know about you, but I don't want BUBBA storing my car in a yard with wrecks and such, and using that car for his own little pleasures.

Offline gomangoRT/SE

Speaking of switching vins........
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:05:36 PM »
Sorry for the new post but I couldnt take the site to accept the post I had to the other switching vin subject.     After growing up Mopar I went thru a period of being a Corvette lover.    Had a 63 split window and a 69 427 car.    The Corvette more than any other car in the world has fallen victim to vin number changing.    Ever notice now after 40 years there are more  427 cars than ever.    They made a 390HP, a 400Hp with 3x2barrell, a 427 425HP and a 427 with 435 HP.   These cars were scarce from the get go.  Yet so many people have bought burned up, wrecked, trashed out cars or simply titles and made what was a plain 327 300HP car into one of the big block, big $$$$ giants.    Watching Barrett Jackson these cars bring in excess of $100,000.        Now fast forward into the Mopar world and we see the same thing happening.   Find an old big block, particularly a Hemi or 440 Six pack car that is ragged out beyond survival simply because of the title and switch out cowls and/or radiator supports and badda bing badda boop you now have your big $$$ mopar.    Sometimes its the guy who bought the car who finds out after the fact that he has purchased something that is not what it appears to be.    Disturbing or disasturous if you have paid $75,000 for what was originally a $20,000 car.     This poor unfortunate will probably just sell the car under the buyer beware philosophy and pass the sham on.     I looked at a Satellite car being pawned off as not only a Roadrunner but a 440 Roadrunner at that.    This man was very much not willing to say much about the car other than look at it yourself and <you> decide, I am not making statements about the car one way or the other.    Very elusive.    He had bondoed over the radiator support.    Simply up the purchaser to know his vin#s and what they meant.      This is why people including me are very touchy on this subject.    That is the reason that cars with a pedigree bring more money.     

Oldschool

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:11:10 PM »
Dawgs---you by any chance from the southeast?  I knew this guy that had some shady dealings with his corvette in the 70's.  What a jerk he was. I don't know how many trimes that car was "stolen" and he collected the insurance.  Later he would by another one that looked "exactly" like his stolen one, at a very reduced price.  I'm to chicken to try and get away with something like that.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: Speaking of switching vins........
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:11:11 PM »
the Satelite to a roadrunner conversion isn't that unusual, but the vin switch is.  the problem only gets bigger with the amount of dollars these types of cars draw. If i'm correct the chevy corvette doesn't have all that many numbers to be matching?  goes to show where there is a buck, there are bad, bad, bad people.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Speaking of switching vins........
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:18:06 PM »
One of the things that scares me is who among us already owns one of these lies and doesn't even know it???? After paying big$$$$$ I could be real dangerous............
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:27:47 PM »
Old School, no, this incident happened in Missouri. Ugly as anything I'd ever heard of. Courts got involved when the lawful owner sued to get the car back, but that took more than a year. As I said, no BUBBA for my car.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:36:03 PM »
Oldschool, I see two trains of thought on this... keeping in mind different laws/different states but fraud is fraud. You can find yourself in deep   $#!t reaaaally quick. I've already seen problems with cars with "suspect" parts on them, cause this late model stuff has got #'s EVERYWHERE! Title laws are tougher all the time. Years ago I could sell a car on a bill of sale written on a cocktail napkin. You could go and get a title If I did that now I'd ge the silver braclets! Granted I'm taking newer cars and current laws. And believe me people have tried to sell me cars w/suspect or no paperwork...no thanks. And dawgs 73 also has some very valid ad true points! Sometime I will tell you the story of a 69 charger that I hold originall title and state bill of sale too.... but I dont have the car.

Enough ranting-

1. Call your lawyer

2. Ruger 45 cal

[o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Oldschool

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006 - 09:17:27 PM »
Thanks Big,

Lawyer and Ruger----I got em both!  Ruger is a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk though.  It will still work.   :cooldancing:  .............Oldschool

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2006 - 09:50:10 PM »
Oldschool... funny thing about that... I've also got a .44 super blackhawk!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2006 - 10:00:26 PM »
LOTS of passion in this thread ! :stomp: :nono:

We sure love our ebodies ! :cheers:

The main thing is we can discuss these things and still be friends :cooldancing:

Now religion and politics.... :eek4:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 73 challenger 440

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2006 - 10:45:18 PM »
the thought alone disturbs me, I seen many totaly worthless cars, on ebay be sold for several thousands of dollars for bascially nothing usable but the vins... if you can afford to pay top dollar for these cars, would you feel better that you spent this money on the real deal, or somone that took a base model and switched the vins... I know for damm sure I wouldn't want a car that had numbers tampered with...... I am sure a lot of people see some rare muscle cars on ebay, are the the real deal???