buying wheels within the week need some help

Author Topic: buying wheels within the week need some help  (Read 3267 times)

Offline 73 challenger 440

buying wheels within the week need some help
« on: January 04, 2006 - 08:35:46 PM »
I have pm'd a few people. they were kind enough to show me there 275's but I want to just get some responses on some 295's..  my susspension is tight.. not much room to push the car down by hand more than an inch.. so yea it's stiff.. I would like to hear from the people who have 295's on there cars and some pics, hopefully closeup like I shown on mine.. I know 275/60/15 with 8 inch wheel and 4-1/2 back spacing will do the trick, with out spring relocate kit.. so I dont want to use a reloc-kit for the 295's but I need to know what back spacing to go with.. and what is the bolt pattern for the 73 challenger...
THESE ARE 235/60/15

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: buying wheels within the week need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006 - 09:43:26 PM »
1 pic
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 - 03:12:11 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 - 09:48:31 PM »
 Here's the link that I posted when I put Centerlines and 295's on my Challenger. I'm sure depending on the rims you use, you should be able to get the right offset without having to use the spacers like I did.
 http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=13388.0
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 - 08:27:34 PM »
CHRYCO PSYCHO / EVIL 72

well, I am going with the BF goodwrich tires 295/50/15 for the wheels, I looked at both your cars and where evil72 needed some 7/16 spacers and chryco Psycho you mention having 1/4 space between the body (you mean, and it appears to be inside the wheel well) and 1/2 space between tire and spring.. I am thinking a 4- 4.25 inch back spacing on an 8 inch wheel should be perfect... if you guys were to do this again, what do you believe would be the best back spacing.. got to get this info from you guys. you guys got the 295/s so I am counting on yea..

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 - 09:56:48 PM »
4" backspace will work best , the springs have sagged a little but it fits under the body with about 1/4"  to the outer lip
I would use a better tire than the BFG, Good Year , Dunlop , Cooper etc are all better or at least as good   

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006 - 12:07:29 AM »
my dad said the same thing, he had the Bf GOODRICH, he swapped over to Dunlops and the traction was much better... he's now thinking over swapping the 275/60's's for 295 Dunlops.. but he dont want to loose the  fact he cant light the tires up when doing 30mph....my gad made a page for me and my brother, so check it out........
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/bikesandcars/the_boys_toys/

and thanks for your imput.. I am ordeing my wheels and tires Next friday.. i'll post a pic soon as I get them mounted.. I want hopsters.. hopefully I can get them with a 4 inch backspacing.. by the way whats the bolt pattern?

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006 - 12:22:32 AM »
 I agree with Chryco a 4" backspace on an 8" wheel.
 As for tires, go to the tirerack and bring up the 295/50/15 tires then look at the overview of each brand of tire. The BFG IS a really old design, heck my dad had them on his 68 Nova in the 70's LOL. But I really wanted raised white letters for that old school look and they still rated ok.
 The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's were my first choice though, they rated them #1, but at the time I couldn't get the front tires in the size I wanted with raised white letters. OF course now I see they stock them!  :banghead: :swear:
 Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out looking great.
ROB

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 - 02:26:39 PM »
Chryco...

what brand tire are you using??? I went to the tire rack, and compaired the tires tread width, this is it...

YOKOHAMA = tread width  10.1

DUNLOP     = tread width  10.2

GOODYEAR= tread width  11.0

BF. GOODRICH= tread width 9.5

so it looks like now that I got my wheels squared away, the question is what brand tire ?? will I have problem fitting the 11.0 wide tires? or to be safe stick with the tires in the 10.0 area???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006 - 02:27:59 AM »
the car above is using Firestone Indy but I have never been a firestone fan
I would try a Good Year  or Dunlop first

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006 - 08:41:38 AM »
I looked up the Firestone tires and it goes like this..........

Firestone....  Treadwidth - 9.9

so we have the we have 2 brand tires used.
9.5 wide
and
9.9 wide

I am going to surf around the net, and see if I can get some info on some challengers with the Goodyears...  my quess is the extra inch will be to much...  but I am pretty much set on the Dunlops...

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006 - 01:20:03 PM »
 The tread width will make it look wider but it's really the sectional width that decides if it will fit or not. All three tires are basically the same sectional width
Firestones - 12.2 section width, tread width 9.9" with a 9.5" rim(8" rim will make it a little less)
Dunlops - 12.0 sectional width, tread width 10.2" with a 9.5" rim
Goodyear - 12.1 sectional width, tread width 11" with a 9.5" rim

So out of the three, the Goodyears will look a little wider even though there the same sectional width.
 Dunlops have better wet traction and hydroplaning resistance than the Goodyears, but not as good as the Firestones
 The Firestones rate highest as far as wet/dry traction, hydroplaning resistance, and snow and ice driving.
 So it really depends on what you want and how your going to drive it and where.
 I just replaced the junky Winston tires on my wifes Montero Sport with some Firestones and all I can say is what a difference it made. Not only is it alot quieter and the ride much smoother, it feels like your driving a car.
 It also would spin the rear tire whenever I turned a corner quickly, now even in the rain it just grips and goes.
 Good luck with it.
ROB

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006 - 05:07:01 PM »
EVIL72.

I was wondering if thats what it ment..  now I have a better understanding, so if the car lats say had some sag, it's the shoulders that would hit not the tread, unless it protruded further outwards...  so the tire that has the 11 inch tread compaired to a tire with 10, would be that the shoulder is more cupped... (on a 10inch tire)

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006 - 07:41:37 PM »
 exactly.
ROB

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006 - 11:02:24 PM »
so use the Good years , they will fit the same with a wider footprint

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006 - 02:00:20 PM »
Ok, got my list... going with the goodyears.. what is the bolt pattern on these cars?