Author Topic: rust on valve springs  (Read 994 times)

Offline justin16440

rust on valve springs
« on: January 05, 2006 - 03:29:02 PM »
?I sold my 440 around a month ago .Before I sold it I kept it in the car so you could here it run before you bought it. I sold it to a kid that brought someone to ckeck it out for him. He checked everything ran it for about 20 minutes. I pulled it out of the car and it sat on a tire  for a couple of weeks before he picked it up. It know been about 4 weeks since he picked it up. He called me today and said he found some rust under the valve cover and the valve spring. And thinks it is a cracked head. I  had the hears redone about 5 years ago.  If it was a cracked head wouldn`t  there be water in the oil smoke out the exhaust.  Could the rust be there from just sitting around for awhile. any opnions

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: rust on valve springs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 - 03:37:01 PM »
I would like to see a picture. I don't think you have anything to worry about. A cracked head??? NO way. As you stated, that would have been obvious in how it ran. Maybe these guys think you are pulling one over on them, but I don't think it's a big deal. I have seen rust on valve springs.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 - 10:11:44 PM »
I doubt the head is cracked , more likely to be condension if the engine is cold stored , if it is cracked it usually crack in a different direction not up into the valve spring pockets unless the pockets were deepened for some reason 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006 - 08:28:10 PM »
   :iagree: 

Offline CudaNut

• She's so fine ain't no tellin where the money went
    • CUDANUT.COM
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006 - 08:55:46 AM »
javascript:void(0);
I Agree

I've never seen a Mopar head crack in the spring area unless it froze or the pockets were cut way too deep. The nearly always crack in the seat or chamber area because thats where the stress and heat are....I think you are ok....unless it's been outside with little or no a/freeze....
"If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber."
  Albert Einstein