Author Topic: No more sloppy steering!  (Read 5458 times)

Offline EVIL72

No more sloppy steering!
« on: January 09, 2006 - 01:30:18 AM »
 Well after installing a smaller steering wheel so I'd have more leg room, I decided to adjust my steering box because it had a bit too much play.
 What a difference that made!! I guess it was looser than I thought because it drives so much better now, it's not even funny. Very responsive just how I like it.  :bigsmile:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: No more sloppy steering!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006 - 02:14:48 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006 - 06:47:51 AM »
Well after installing a smaller steering wheel so I'd have more leg room, I decided to adjust my steering box because it had a bit too much play.
 What a difference that made!! I guess it was looser than I thought because it drives so much better now, it's not even funny. Very responsive just how I like it.  :bigsmile:
How did you adjust it to get the play out? I have to do it to my cuda.
Thanks

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006 - 10:14:46 PM »
 This isn't exactly text book, but I just centered the wheels, loosened the 5/8's jam nut on the steering box, then I tightened the allen head just until it started to feel a little snug. Then I tightened the jam nut and took the car for a spin. If the wheel has any tight spots just past center, or the steering feels strange back it off until it goes away. If it's still smooth turn to turn and it doesn't feel like it's starting to drag, then maybe try it just a tad tighter, just don't go overboard.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006 - 08:30:35 AM »
This isn't exactly text book, but I just centered the wheels, loosened the 5/8's jam nut on the steering box, then I tightened the allen head just until it started to feel a little snug. Then I tightened the jam nut and took the car for a spin. If the wheel has any tight spots just past center, or the steering feels strange back it off until it goes away. If it's still smooth turn to turn and it doesn't feel like it's starting to drag, then maybe try it just a tad tighter, just don't go overboard.
I'll give it a try!

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006 - 08:34:31 AM »
Thanks.. good post. I'll have to re-adjust mine. I think it's too tight. I'll center the wheels and back it off some.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006 - 05:36:24 PM »
I had a guy at work tell me that his steering had too much play in it and I told him just what you have done to your car. He didn't belive me and took his truck to a garage , they adjusted the play out of his steering  exactly the way I had told him. It cost him $85.00, my advice was free.
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006 - 05:43:06 PM »
the trick is to do the adjustment with the wheels centered , if the wheels are not centered you can easily adjust too far & have it bind in the center

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006 - 08:46:27 PM »
Actually you are supposed to adjust the worm shaft preload (the input shaft where the coupler is on the steering box) before the sector shaft (the nut on top of the box you can see) If the shop did it right the $85 would be justified because it isn't that simple to do, especially on a P/S box.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006 - 10:29:08 PM »
I have to agree with ntstlg1970. 85.00 bucks is a bargain if both adjustments were done, as u should really do this off the vehical, but anyone with lots of experiance can accomplish this on the vehical ,as I  have many times.
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006 - 02:54:01 PM »
They showed how to do this on a Corvette roadster ('62 or '63, I think) on one of those car shows on cable.  I think it was Classic Car Restoration, I don't think it was dream car garage.  Sorry this doesn't have more info, but if you see the Corvette roadster restoration listed on the program guide, you'll know what show it was.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com