Author Topic: newbe looking to my $ worth!  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: newbe looking to my $ worth!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006 - 07:10:05 PM »
well with the piston .125 down the hole you have approx 7.8:1 compression + with alum heads the effecticve compression drops 1 more point to 6.8 :1 you should have no problems running 60 octane fuel

I spit my pop out when I read that because I was thinking the same thing...would be a good compression if he was running boost and even then it would be a tad low. I am curious to know if you had the piston at top dead center. I only ask because if your engine already has been overbored, then I can't imagine that whoever rebuilt it would keep the low compression.......
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006 - 08:47:13 PM »
you will feel the 6 pack , but with a well designed cam & some head porting it will really turn on even with the low compression
 using either 516 or 915 heads will bump the compression a point as well
I'd still do this, the factory 516 or 915 heads will be ALOT cheaper than those aluminum ones you where going to buy, plus your compression ratio will be higher.
 If you have any more questions don't call the mopar tech guy, just post on the forum. They may mean well, but alot of times they just try to push there parts, and many times there's better options out there for less $$. Besides that, as a tech for mopar he should of known that adding aluminum heads to a low compression motor might not be a good idea.
 Good Luck

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006 - 12:26:50 AM »
I have measured 4-5 383s lately the .125 down the hole is a very common piston , you can fool it a but with a good cam but it stil lsucks , add alum heads & you have  agreat combo should make 5-10 RWHP total

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006 - 05:32:53 AM »
add alum heads & you have  agreat combo should make 5-10 RWHP total
:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
ROB

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006 - 10:28:43 PM »
Obviously I'm new, quite honestly, that's the first time I've seen an exposed piston since about 1980. When I tried to take off the large nut on the crank pulley, my engine turned, that's when I noticed the level that the piston came up, and was told about the problems of trying to beaf up a low compression engine.  Believe me, I feel I've just wasted a whole lot of time going through all of this.   

I agree w/ you about the guys at mopar.  The same thing seems to happen w/ summit and Indy.  I realize they're in the business of selling parts.  I guess I just trusted what they were telling me.

I will get to this motor once I complete my new car.  Blocks are relatively cheap, so i thought I'd spend time looking for a 70 440, block, and build it properly on a stand, from bottom up w/ the 6 pack, obviously w/ help, then swap and toss the one. That way not only do I gain the experience, but I'll Know what I have.

I really appreciate everyones advice and input...I know there's no hidden agenda here.

Cudaaah

Anybody want a motor home engine????  It's got great looking pistons!  Ha

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006 - 12:15:11 AM »
 Good luck with it, Just remember the best way to get good info about mopars is to ask the people that actually own them.
ROB