Author Topic: Going to London for a week! Any suggestions?!?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Cannibal94

Going to London for a week! Any suggestions?!?
« on: January 12, 2006 - 11:10:41 AM »
Taking a business trip to London on Friday,   :wave: does anyone have any suggestions on what to see? (besides the obvious)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Going to London for a week! Any suggestions?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006 - 11:13:19 AM »
London Ont ??  :roflsmiley:
 I would leave as soon as possible

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006 - 11:55:04 AM »
 :grinno: England  :grinyes:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006 - 12:14:07 PM »
I've never been, so I'm not much help...sorry.  Hope you have a great trip!  Take some pics!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Oldschool

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006 - 12:15:06 PM »
Any auto museums.  I understand there are some great ones over there......... :cooldancing:   .....Oldschool

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006 - 01:01:57 PM »

Dress warm.  :biggrin:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline rich

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006 - 02:49:56 PM »
Make sure you bring an umbrella with you...  ;D

Offline rich

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006 - 02:55:32 PM »
It really depends on what you want to see or do? If you're staying in London itself, then as you say, there's the obvious stuff. Will you have a car to travel around in, and if so will you have much free time?

Offhand, I can't think of any auto museums actually in the London area, many are spread a little way around the country. I'll have a think and let you know if anything inspired comes to mind...  :thinkerg:

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006 - 03:30:24 PM »
I have meetings everyday, but shouldn't last all day.  We are staying right around the Heathrow Airport.  As of now, we are not getting a car, using the tube and/or our contacts for transportation.  The only time going out of London, is to meet with a guy in Reading.

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006 - 05:13:52 AM »
Cannibal94,

Trains & Tubes will get you pretty much anywhere.  Depending on what you are into, there's the Natural History Museum, scads of Military museums, Tower of London, Castles etc.  If you have time and are into Roman cities, Bath is a couple hours away by train.  I liked the Jack the Ripper Tour they have at night in London, http://www.rippingyarns.8m.com/   or here  http://www.jacktheripperwalk.com/

I really liked going to a local eatery or pub rather than the typical tourist spots. 

Here's a good post about tube passes for London  http://www.expatforums.com/t4821.html

Just go and do !  You don't know when or if you'll get to go back.

P.G.

O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

ukneil

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006 - 08:00:07 AM »
http://www.londontown.com/London/Places_to_go_in_London/

you will miss the Chelsea car cruise (Saturdays end of monthly) 28Jan I guess :stomp:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006 - 01:02:16 PM »
Any place with a GUINESS sign out front! :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006 - 01:26:03 PM »
Like PG said, trains and the tube will get you where you want.  Renting a car /driving a car there can be a challenge.  What do you have in mind for the obvious? 

If I remember correctly, in Picadilly Circus there's a place that sells discounted "last minute" tickets and cancellations.  While we were there, (not all obtained from that ticket place) we got 1st row seats to Phantom of the Opera (very good), saw the Mouse Trap (not so ggod IMO), and Miss Saigon (good, but not as good as Phantom)

The most entertaining IMO was Shakespeare unabridged, which is like 3 Stoodges meets Shakespeare.  Very Slapstick humor and casual dress.  Even 1 of the 3 guys did the part of Juliette.

I'm not sure where this is but it's in England somewhere:  http://www.carsofthestars.com/

There's a nice flea market to see lots of different stuff called something like the Portabella road/flea market.  Found an old 1968 Match Box car there like the one I used to have when I was little, with the box even.

Visit the local pubs for fish and chips/beer.  Like BIGS said, Guiness.  I don't drink beer but I hear it's different over there.  Has to do with something like letting rats swim in the vats of beer, so I'm told....

There's some sort of Horror Wax museum, can't quite remember the name but I almost got my wallet pick-pocketed there!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006 - 01:45:09 PM »
Visit the local pubs for fish and chips/beer.  Like BIGS said, Guiness.  I don't drink beer but I hear it's different over there.  Has to do with something like letting rats swim in the vats of beer, so I'm told....

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:  We spent some time in Ireland last spring where we spent a few nights in local pubs (awesome experience!).  Anyway, I'm not a beer drinker, but had to try the Guinness.... :puke:   Couldn't do it!  Red had to finish mine.

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006 - 11:59:04 AM »
Well, I made it here and am still not used to the time change.  We went downtown and saw the Tower of London, and the Tower Bridge.  Very cool.  We used the tube to get around and a taxi a little bit.  Really cool place!!  We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, which is the original one.  I also got a picture of Jimi Hendrix's V guitar.  I saw the Windsor Castle yesterday but it got too dark to go see Stonehenge.  Time to get back to my pint!!  See ya!!