Author Topic: magnaflow exhaust  (Read 1669 times)

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
magnaflow exhaust
« on: January 14, 2006 - 03:30:14 PM »
I think this was talked about before, but did anybody ever purchase the magnaflow exhaust system for E-bodys??and if so, how did it fit? any cutting, or welding? I was thinking of getting this for my car if its a bolt in deal like tti. I  have tti headers on but dont know if it would bolt up? Any body out there have any experiance  with this set up??   thanks.   

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: magnaflow exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006 - 08:24:26 PM »
As far as I know, I am the only one that has experience with the Magnaflow system. I gave my feedback on it in one of the threads, but since I dont remember which, I will give you a recap. First off, the system is of excellent quality....the bends are smooth and the tubes are very thick, the mufflers are works of art, the xpipe is pretty nice, but the best feature is that it is stainless steel. Now for the bad news, the system that went on my dads car was a pain in the a$$ to install. Reason being, is that the pipes were simply too short to reach the headers and an extension had to be made on one side. Also the brackets that hold the exhaust up are a little bit of a hassle, however they are better hangers than stock...so its kind of a trade off. I personally did not install the system, but was there to see the hassle it was. I want to emphasize that this isnt a bolt in system, it is a universal kit for e-bods that you have to taylor to your needs. Now with that said I will tell you this, the kit was harder to install on my dads car because he had a small block with shorter uneven headers. If you have a big block(guessin you do my your screen name) with long full length headers then you shouldnt have to make an extension, thus making the kit easier to install. Basically, if you want to know if its "worth it" then I will put it like this. Since the system was installed on my dad's car, we have had a couple of people ask "who made it?" and most of them bend over to look at it under the car. That was never the case with the old exhaust. I will also add that I liked the system so much that I already bought one to put in my car. If I have a chance to get an audio clip, then I will post it....I was soppose to a long time ago and never did. This is the only pic I have of the exhaust on my computer, its not the clearest but you can see the x-pipe and fitment.

70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006 - 09:43:58 AM »
Hey, thanks for the info, chances are, i will get that exhaust, i know they sound great, and look great, I have the same system on my 03 cobra and i love it.  Does anybody else make challenger tips?? tti seem pretty damn expensive,(400.00) I think there is another company (gardner exhaust?) that makes tips, maybe cheaper?  What size exhaust should i run with a 500 horse engine? 2 1/2 or 3inch?   thanks for any info

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006 - 10:20:35 AM »
Hold the phone, you have an 03 Cobra??? I love the terminator cobras, give me some details on the beast......Is it pully'd??? have you had it dyno'd or taken it to the track?? Its safe to say that an 03/04 cobra or lightning will be in my future....I just love the blown modulars. As for exhaust tips, these people usually have challenger tips for sale that look to be of high quality.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZravenaircraftQQhtZ-1

I bought a 2.5" exhaust for my car, but I plan on running cutouts before the exhaust.......

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006 - 10:51:12 AM »
 Oh yea, the 03 cobra, that is one awesome car. I did just about everything to it. longtubes,x-pipe, 2.8 upper pulley 2lb. lower pulley , knN filter pack, throttlebody, and a steigemier ported factory blower, The car was dynoed at 540 hp. at the rear wheels, and 553 ft lbs. of tq. I ran a couple of very low 11 second 1/4 times at 122-125 mph. For the money, u cant beat it , i paid 33 grand for it and put 2500.00 into it still less then 40 grand, and could take on just about any exotic car out there, that is in the $100,000 plus range. if u plan on gettin one, u will not be sorry, they are very reliable, and get good gas milage(22 mpg) on hiway.  handle great, and very comfortable. Let me know if u have any questions, todd383.

Offline matt63

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006 - 08:13:25 PM »
I've been looking at the Magnaflow system too.  The pipes only come to the crossmember so header extensions are required.  My TTI's came with the extensions but  I'm a little concerned as to how much work will be required to mate it to the headers since it is not designed for any specific header.  Also, will the reverse rod hit the pipes? I'm sure the muffler shop will charge me an arm and a leg to finish the install when they see the system! 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 - 10:39:28 PM »
The pipes only come to the crossmember so header extensions are required.  Also, will the reverse rod hit the pipes?

The pipes go past the trans crossmember and pretty much end at the torsion bars. Also the reverse rod doesnt hit at all. I will post a couple pictures in a little bit to show you where it ends......

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006 - 11:14:51 PM »
Here is the picture as promised. You can see the extension on the far right of the picture, it was extended near the x-pipe.....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006 - 10:23:59 AM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006 - 09:55:19 AM »
Was the extension piece which needed to be made, the section which is welded on in the photo above? Looks like it has a mandrel bend in it. Did that piece come with the kit, and you needed to make it the correct length?

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006 - 03:03:13 PM »
The extension is between the mandrel bent piece and the x-pipe, it was done that way because it was easier to line up with the headers.....its not a extremely long piece and that is why I said you shouldnt need it on longer headers.