Author Topic: Saggy rear end!  (Read 2512 times)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
Saggy rear end!
« on: January 15, 2006 - 03:58:40 PM »
The back end of my car is hangin low. I have decided to replace leaf springs with espo springs-but  need to choose between going with 1" over stock height compared with the 2" over. I dont want the rear end way up in the air---but would like an aggresive stance to the car. I like the way 71340RTs challenger sits with 1" over and was trying to compare it  to MEKrunners with 2"--but its hard to see. Car is 340 AT with 5 leafs per side, battery is located in trunk. Would going to 6 leafs on right side like for a big block  help or hinder ride height-or is it better to stick with the stock 5 leaf setup. One other question about front suspenssion. I am looking at Just Suspensions poly front end kit. Anything yea or nea about this company?  Thanks    Doug

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Saggy rear end!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006 - 05:16:16 PM »
go to the Gym

I use Moog front end parts & Energy bushings

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Oldschool

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006 - 06:48:44 PM »
go to the Gym

Good one Chryco!      :roflsmiley:   :roflsmiley:   :cooldancing:  .........Oldschool

Offline bentpshrods

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006 - 07:09:27 PM »
Funny thing is I just joined the local YMCA. Middle age can catch up to ya real quick. It's getting harder and harder to get up after crawling around under the car.  It's better that I start doing a few squats instead of the cuda---car is going to be easier to fix !!!!  OH WELL       thanks

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 - 11:33:58 PM »
Hi Doug, I have really grown to love my new 1 inch over springs from espo. They have settled down after I have drove it and put gas in the new tank. It is actually about 1/2 inch lower than when I first measured it after putting the new springs on. It had raised my rear end 4 1/2 inches when i first got them installed compared to my old springs. Also the ride has improved greatly as the springs seem to have some movement now and it might have been hitting the rubber stops before. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and post them.
Jeff
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006 - 03:37:43 PM by Rev-It-Up »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006 - 12:25:51 AM »
I just pulled the air shocks off, that came w/ my 70 cuda...I put KYB shocks all around, rear sagged, I replaced leaf springs w/ standard leafs, It still was lower than my front...I then adjusted my front end lower, and the car sits great.  I'm not sure exactly the name, but the bolt just inside of the tires ( Chryco...a little help? )  I then had the front end alligned.  Car has never driven better!  And I think, looks good as well.

Good luck
Cudaaah

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006 - 12:35:12 AM »
T bar adjuster bolt inside the lower control arm

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006 - 01:13:35 AM »

cudaaah

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006 - 05:03:15 AM »
Sorry, wrong room, lookin for my wife.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006 - 10:06:40 PM »
I took some new pictures today of my 71 Challenger RT after the springs have been installed for a little over 3 weeks and drove a few times. They have now settled about a 1/2 inch from when I first put them on but still sit up pretty high compared to before I changed them out. I still like the new look and the ride is greatly improved.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006 - 03:48:32 PM »
I took some new pictures today of my 71 Challenger RT after the springs have been installed for a little over 3 weeks and drove a few times. They have now settled about a 1/2 inch from when I first put them on but still sit up pretty high compared to before I changed them out. I still like the new look and the ride is greatly improved.

Jeff,
  You have the 1" over stock, and I have the 2" over stock, but I think yours might look as high, or higher than mine due to tire size.  :dunno: I have 15" Rallys. In any case, Espo makes both springs at the same time, so you get an even height. I highly recommend them. They also can sell you a new pair of rear shackels that don't seem to be for sale anywhere else.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006 - 11:57:41 PM »
Jeff,
  You have the 1" over stock, and I have the 2" over stock, but I think yours might look as high, or higher than mine due to tire size.  :dunno: I have 15" Rallys. In any case, Espo makes both springs at the same time, so you get an even height. I highly recommend them. They also can sell you a new pair of rear shackels that don't seem to be for sale anywhere else.

Mike
Mike,
You might be right about the tires. I'm running the stock 14X6 rallye wheels but have 225X70 R 14 all the way around on my Challenger. I was trying to fill the wheel wells up and still be able to rotate the tires when needed as I drive my Challenger everywhere it goes. I bought my springs from espo because you do get a matched set made to order and they are priced right and have all the extras you may need.
Jeff

Offline bentpshrods

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006 - 03:35:14 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. I just got off the phone with espo. I ordered a set of rear springs--went with the 1" over stock height. I am also staying with the stock 5 leafs per side. Springs should arrive 7-10 days. Will post before and after pics when its done. Jeff--I printed out your write up on changing your springs as a general help quide. Makes it a bit easier when  members  share  tips  and ideas/problems they have with their own projects. Aprieciate the help.    Doug

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006 - 05:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. I just got off the phone with espo. I ordered a set of rear springs--went with the 1" over stock height. I am also staying with the stock 5 leafs per side. Springs should arrive 7-10 days. Will post before and after pics when its done. Jeff--I printed out your write up on changing your springs as a general help quide. Makes it a bit easier when  members  share  tips  and ideas/problems they have with their own projects. Aprieciate the help.    Doug

Doug,
  When I ordered my springs, they didn't have them in stock, and said it would be a week or so until they shipped. Two days later, they were on my door step.  :clapping: I think you will have them real soon.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006 - 11:55:56 PM »
Hi Doug, I didn't want anyone to get in to deep and end up getting hurt changing the springs even though they are pretty much a straight forward change if you use some common sense. I don't mind helping out when I can and if I would of known the difference it was going to make on my Challenger I would of changed them out several years ago. Keep me posted on when you get them and any problems you have. Send me a e-mail if you have any questions. Mine were ordered on a Monday and came Friday the same week even though they said it would take a couple weeks for me to get them.
Jeff