Why did you choose MOPAR?

Author Topic: Why did you choose MOPAR?  (Read 4415 times)

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Re: Why did you choose MOPAR?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006 - 10:53:56 PM »
My father was a Mopar guy, so i inherited it!

Let me say this...if you talk to chevy and ford guys, they are into their cars...but a MOPAR person, it's more than a hobby...it's a passion, it takes over your life and becomes more than just a hobby..it's away of life!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:25:52 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline ReturnofCuda

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006 - 11:10:32 PM »
When I was about 15 I was looking through Hot Rod and came across this 1970 candy red blown Hemi Cuda that made my heart skip a beat. :droolingbounce: I've been hooked on mopar ever since, especially the cudas.
Doug
1973 Cuda 340, TF727, 8 3/4 3.55 posi

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006 - 12:08:18 AM »
I grew up in a Ford family and had buddys that drove Mopar cars in Nebraska. I moved 550 miles away to Illinois and made friends with a few guys that all drove Mopar cars. I had nothing to stop me from buying one and had read about them in magazines for years. Once I bought one I was hooked and soon sold my collection of cars a 71 Mach 1, 68 Camaro RS, 69 Pontiac Firebird Fomula 400. I still like some of the brand X cars but nothing compares to the enjoyment I have got from owning my Mopar muscle cars. I can't see me going with out one or two Mopar cars now. I just wish I could of gotten into the Mopar hobby before 1983.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:26:07 PM by Rev-It-Up »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006 - 01:00:12 AM »
well i was a GM fan for a while in my youner days. i owned a 74 Olds Cutlass supreme and then came a 67 Chevelle, then i slipped to a Fiat   :dunno: i was young and a little convertible was what i thaught would get the girls for me, it did work  lol. then i bought a 88 Toyota 2wd pickup, brand new i took it home the day before my 18th birthday, that i customized into a lowrider with a big stereo and so on. one night i was hangin out with some friends and one of them, Doug, had a friend with him that had his 74 Chally with him that night. both of them are die hard Mopar guys. i asked Al for a ride in the Chally and that was the life changing experience for me. i had not ever seen a Cuda, at least when i knew what it was, til Doug bought a 70 Cuda to restore and i just knew i had to have one. about 14 years later i found my cuda and bought it. now i just have to take the time and get the funds to get her done. :jumping:
70 Barracuda

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006 - 01:51:32 AM »
I didn't even know what a Mopar was untill I was 16.  I got a pretty late start.  Saw some old slides of my dads 69 Roadrunner he bought brand new, and that got me curios.  I started reading up on them, looking at pics, and I became hooked.  Before, I was a Mustang guy.  Now, the only Mustang I would take over a Mopar would be a 69-70 Boss, and that would have to depend on what the Mopar was, and what condition it was in.

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006 - 09:55:49 AM »
My interest is an indirect result of the movie "Vanishing Point." My dad was a Pontiac guy in the sixties, until 1971 when he went to the drive-in and saw Kowalski go postal with a white Challenger. After the movie during the same year, 1971, my dad traded his Pontiac LeMans to my aunt for her new 1971 Roadrunner (my first memory, I was 2 years old, we still have the RR today). A few years later (1974-5?), my dad bought a 1971 Challenger 440 4-speed, blue on blue. I remember the day he obtained that car, too. I always remember the characteristic smell of the interior (standard E-body plastic panel smell, you know), the pistol grip shifter, and the sound, or rather roar, of the engine. He sold the Challenger back in 1980, I was 11, but I had germinated into a true Mopar fan by then. As a result of my dad's enthusiasm, I've never known a period during my adult/driving life when I didn't have a Cuda to drive and/or admire.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006 - 12:18:38 PM »
When I was 5 years old my father built a 1953 Dodge pickup street rod, I worked with him every night in the garage and I remember helping him build a 340 and how he used to preach to me how dodges were the fastest, and he bought me a little jacket that had a ram on it and said "Dodge boys have more fun"..lol.  When I got older he would show me pictures of his old 340 duster, 65 barracuda's, and I was hooked (or brainwashed  :grinno: ). I bought my first mopar when I was 15 (340 Demon), and always wanted a Pistol grip cuda. Now 10 years later I finally have one!!  And as everyone mentioned, they are way more rare then chevys and fords.   :bananasmi

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline rm23j8g

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006 - 02:50:02 PM »
I was 17, and had just bought a new '67 Mustang.  My first car had been a '57  Ranchero that my grandfather had given me.
That Mustang was nothing but trouble, so I was going to sell it and buy a new '68 Olds Toronado.
My dad said..."you don't want a Toronado...that's an old mans' car!".
So he took me to the local Chrysler Plymouth dealership, and pointed to this car on the showroom floor.  "Now that's what you need!". 
I said "You're kidding, right?  A.....uh...Plymouth??" 
It was a burgundy  with white painted top, '68 GTX 440 4 speed.  I humored him and took it for a test drive, and needless to say, I was hooked and I bought it.  I was working two jobs at the time, so I could buy about anything I wanted...luckily.
After a great year with that car, I decided "more power" was in order, so I ordered a '69 T5 4 speed hemi Super Bee.
And the rest is history....Mopar immersion big time!

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006 - 03:03:46 PM »
It all started with a Hot Wheels dicast car in the late 1960's, a '69 Charger. I was about 6 or 7 years old living in New York City, & there was a person in our neighborhood that had a real '68 or '69 Charger. I had always seen it parked nearby & loved it. There was another car, a '69 Mustang Fastback with a scoop & rear window louvers I liked, but the huge chrome gas cap & the recessed rear window got me hooked on the Dodge. At that age I thought they were both race cars, what did I know?  :dunno:

I got the Hot Wheels version of the Charger & it became my favorite dicast of all the ones I had. As I got older, I became a car nut & can't figure out where it came from. Nobody in my family, except for a distant cousin, was into cars. He had a late 60's Corvette he was always washing & waxing. I liked it, what 10 year old wouldn't? I was always told by other family members that "Corvettes are terrible on gas" or "It's not practical, there's no room in it."  :roflsmiley:

In my family, cars were transportation, a way to go to work, a way to carry lots of stuff home easier, & something that was just as important as having toilet paper in the house. Anyway, I bought a '69 Charger when I was 18 & had gotten very familiar with it since I was always fixing it. I had a couple of other non-Mopars over the years, but most cars have been Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler.

I do like the style a lot more than Chebby & Phord, but they have a few I like too. BTW, I still have the Hot Wheels Charger.  ;D
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006 - 04:04:35 PM »
I LIKED THE PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER AND THE LITTLE ORANGE LIGHT ON THE DASH THAT SAID " reverse" ! ! !
The mag rims and dual scooped hood kinda hooked me in, maybe the sound of the 383 when I did my first burner  :burnout:   with it!
Heck , I really can't name any one single reason other than I just fell in love at first sight!   :worshippy
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline pandamarie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006 - 05:42:02 PM »
I grew up in a mopar family, thats all we ever owned, was the first car I learned to drive, when I bought my first car(first dozen) they were all 442s and GTOs but when I raced Mopars they almost always won and my gm crap always broke, My charger and challenger are pretty much bulit proof and proof of me using them for daily drivers for the last 12 years and driving them hard. I will never own another non mopar muscle car. Now classic cars are different.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:26:49 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1938 packard 120
1948 lincoln convertible coupe(1 of 16)
69 charger
70 challenger R/T 440 6 pac
71 challenger 340 R/T 4 speed
2-1961 nash metropolitans
forgive wifes 75 vette
2002 dakota 4.7

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006 - 06:14:08 PM »
I had read your post when you first added it and was trying to think of an answer but for the life of me I just couldn't put an answer to your question. Today I had my Challenger running and I walked around it a few times asking myself "Why did you choose Mopars"? I stopped at the rear of my car and laid my hand on the trunk lid and the answer came to me. I could feel the vibrations of the 440 as it shook the car and feel the blast from the exhaust hitting my leg. All of my senses were being assaulted by that big block Mopar, touch- feeling the vibrations, smell- smelling the exhaust fumes, hearing- listening to the motor talk to me trough the Flowmasters,and best of  all I was looking across the roof of my dream car. Then it had finally came to me "Thats why I had chosen Mopar."  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006 - 07:17:03 PM by 71 r/t »
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
    • American car and truck forums
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006 - 02:33:04 AM »
'Cuz my Dad had two old beat up dodge trucks, and they were the best ones he ever had.................................. :bigsmile:

Offline cudacharlie

• 70 Cuda convert, 70 Charger R/T
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006 - 05:56:01 AM »
Dad always drove Chryslers, big land yachts, and although he also had Buicks (Electra 225 Limited, beautiful yacht) and various Olds and Lincoln oil tankers, the Chrysler New Yorker was always it top shape, hardly ever needed work, and was obviously a much finer car.  That New Yorker outlasted all those other yachts, and on those seldom occasions when a mechanic was under the hood, he'd usually come out wiping his hands, saying, "That's a fine car, fine car.  Just needed a tune-up".

Then, of course, there was 20-year-old guy that still hung out with highschool kids and sold weed out of his bashed-up little house three blocks over, with the dark red 71 Cuda convertible out front.  That freakin' car was as bad-azz as this burnt-out dudes lifestyle. Hi-Jackers, Cherry Bombs, chrome cover on the Dana, slots on the back only, you know the 1973 drill.  That car was always parked sideways on the lawn, and it looked like it arrived there by skidding to a stop at the end of a high-speed chase. 

Cut to: Years later, behind a body shop in Huntington Beach, a mexican guy pulls back a tarp covering a 70 Charger RT.

What a great moment!  In primer, no engine, no interior, but I would have crawled over a row of cars to get to that one.  What can I say?  "It spoke to me..."  Loud and clear!

Clearly, the Mopars are bigger, badder, more out-of-their-minds cars than any of the others.  I love sitting next to a Chivvy or Phord at the light.  In a Mopar, you got everything over these guys!  Longer, lower, meaner, louder, faster, brighter, tougher, man, this car is just plain MORE than yours, dude, and that is all there is to it.  Muscle Mopars are the most extreme example of Detroit TRYING to give us what we want.  Come on, a factory car pupose-built for street racing (a69), with the only lift-off hood ever shipped on a street car from Detroit?  Amazing!  Ridiculous!  What were they thinking? 

Now, we have the SRT series (Street Racing Technology), and Mopar basically says, "Street racing is illegal and dangerous.  Meet me on route 110 at midnight." 

Phords and Chibbys are like hamburgers and hotdogs.  They are everywhere, and if you're hungry and don't have time, you can just grab one and get fed.

Mopars are like elaborate barbecues.  Takes more preparation, money, and time, but the meal is so much more delicious!

:bigsmile:
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

Oldschool

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006 - 03:47:48 PM »
  My 1st "real" car was a 57 Chevy 2 dr hardtop with a 283 powerglide.  Drove it while then traded it in on a '73 Dodge Dart 340 Sport automatic.  The power difference in those 2 cars got my attention about Mopars.  Traded the Dart in on a '78 Dodge "Lil Red Express" truck.  That thing ran ok, but not like a car.  Kept that until I ran across "The Deal"  I found a '68 Hemi RR automatic.  Paid the guy $3500.00 and drove it home.  It was a true (RM21J) car.  Had Barnett Automotive re-work the engine with some good performance mods.  Ended up with roughly 600 HP. That car led to a '65 A-990 Dodge Coronet race car---426 race Hemi.  Campaigned that car for 3 seasons and sold it. There have been other Hemi cars and Mopars, but that is what got me hooked on Mopars and hemi's specifically.  Took a hiatus to raise the kids, but now I'm reunited with the cars I love...........   :cooldancing:  .....Oldschool