Author Topic: Let the Body Work Begin!  (Read 5565 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Let the Body Work Begin!
« on: January 19, 2006 - 05:04:13 PM »
This is a good sign! Filler is going in the engine compartment!
All the other stuff to date has been metal work.

I have the bottom and inside prepped for Zero Rust, but I ordered the new "form fitting" frame connectors from John as US Car Tool and I'm going to weld those in before priming the underside. Soooo, in the meantime, I'm smooting out the pits in the engine compartment with glass reinforced filler. Over that will go DP40. Hopefully, I'll have that done sooner than later. The roof and underside got POR15 epoxy putty to fill in the pin-holes. The roof will get glass reinforced fillers to fill in the pits, then I'll lay down Zero Rust on the roof (it's going back to vinyl).

If all goes well, I'll have the frame connectors in, the engine compartment in epoxy primer, zero rust on the topside, inside, and underside. I also got talked in to putting truck bed coating on the underside, which will then get topcoated with the dip-gray zero rust primer.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:46:35 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
Re: Let the Body Work Begin!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006 - 08:40:56 PM »
Looks good.  At this point, you might want to consider something they said on last weeks Dream Car Garage which was to do the body work between coats of primer.  Meaning, prime first, do body work, prime again before painting.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006 - 05:10:36 AM »
That's been a long debate. PPG changed their recommended procedures, saying to lay down epoxy primer first...BUT, there is evidence to suggest that fillers actually bond better to bare steel than to epoxy primer. In my case, the filler you see is Evercoat short-strand glass reinforced filler. I will lay DP40 on top of that, then high-build primer, then fine fillers, then more primer, block sand, then seal with extra reduced DP40. I'm also able to get zero rust on the back side of all the metal, meaning that the metal is sealed on both sides. So, theoretically, the metal is completely sealed off from oxygen.

Trust me, with some much conflicting advice out there, I'm nervous! But, I've seen so many old timers recommend "heavy" filler direct to metal that I feel like it's likely not a problem.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006 - 07:46:10 AM »
Sounds like a plan, mine was so rusty everywhere I went por 15 on almost everything, one thing I added in was to try it OVER the filler that went on bare metal, the filler soaked it right in & became had as a rock, what i'm hoping for is that moisture will never get through the filler to the welded spots underneath, por tec reps really had no answer, nobody tried it before, so only time will tell, it will either be 98% rust proof (where I'm sure I hit everything)or my paint will be littering the hiway first time I get on it!  :dunno: Rich.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 - 03:19:24 PM »
OK...I picked up my epoxy primer and high-build primer from a local PPG distributor. As 70cuda pointed out, the PPG distributor strongly recommended sealing off the freshly blasted surface with epoxy primer BEFORE filler. So, I'm going to go that route.

Now, the debate over this is long standing and there are lots of guys who swear you should put "heavy" fillers down on bare metal. So, check with someone you trust prior to going either way.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006 - 04:55:26 PM »

Great stuff Steve! I love seeing MoPars (E-Bodies) getting their just deserts.  :grinyes: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006 - 05:05:37 AM »
Thanks NZ!

OK...Did some Zero Rust yesterday. More to do today! This is Resto Rick's Dip Gray Zero Rust. A little dark, but I did lay down some black Zero Rust first since I need to use up some of that.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:47:09 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006 - 06:29:26 AM »

That looks sick mate! Very nice indeed.

Are you going for an all out concur or just a solid restored driver with personal touches?
Just curious as I know you're going to get a Harms Tilt-Pistol grip for the bracket.  :biggrin:

NZ440R/T

Offline sadil340

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006 - 06:38:31 AM »
You're quite a bit ahead of me - I'm just stripping my 70 Cuda 340 now. This will be my first go-around with an E-body. Any tips?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:47:27 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006 - 06:49:45 AM »
You're quite a bit ahead of me - I'm just stripping my 70 Cuda 340 now. This will be my first go-around with an E-body. Any tips?

Be prepared to spend a bit of money on parts.  :smokin: :biggrin:

Welcome to the board you should officially introduce yourself in the "Newbies" forum.  :thumbsup:

If I was moderator I would adjust your photo, it's HUGE!! lol  :lol2:
One will be along soon to do it for you.

Cheers,
NZ440R/T

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:47:45 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006 - 07:06:13 AM »
NZ...Thanks!
It's just a daily driver. I don't ever want to see rust again, hence the zero rust. I figured I might as well go with Rick's dip gray. BTW, I would encourage anyone doing a restoration to check out Rick's site (www.restorick.com) for tips and information on restoration. I have emailed him questions and he has been very helpful. Yes, I plan to get the pistol grip handle for the shifter!

For Sadil, I recommend reading and researching e-bodies voraciously. Also, I recommend really thinking through your goals prior to starting. If you plan to go full-tilt on a concours restoration, there's a lot of research to be done and your strategy will be different than if you're doing a general restoration. My general advice is to take the car completely down to bare metal, fix all the rot, and put it back together better than new. These cars were built poorly and the fit and finish was garbage. You will find that few of the panels are square to each other and you'll find a lot of welding slag and thick layers of seam sealer. Get a rotiserrie and go to town. Tag and bag everything and keep an inventory list so you can find the parts later. Most, if not all of the hardware is available in reproduction, though these fasteners may not be suitable for a concourse restoration. Get everything off and out of the car, store everything in a safe place, get the car on the rotiserrie, and have it media blastic at a shop specializing in cars.

Does this help? Good luck and welcome!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006 - 07:14:23 AM »
Yes, I plan to get the pistol grip handle for the shifter!

Awesome stuff Steve, you know what your doing so that car is going to be kick-ar$e and solid.  :grinyes:
One suggestion, you should look at ordering you www.harmsauto.com grip pretty soon as I have emailed the guy Scott a few times and he isn't sure how much longer these grips (custom are no longer) will be going for......

Cheers,
NZ440R/T

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006 - 06:22:34 AM »
OK...got the underside and the roof done in Zero Rust. I now have to wait a couple of weeks for the coating to harden properly, then I can get undercoating on the underside and DP40 the rest of the car.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:48:10 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006 - 11:03:34 AM »
Lookin Good! Your  :ylsuper: Rich.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006 - 06:21:36 AM »
Looking good Steve! You are going to undercoat that baby? If my car looked that nice underneath I would go with body color and Dynamat the inside for sound deadener.  Did you get your dutchman/trunk lid alignment issues resolved?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger