Author Topic: PINKS!!!  (Read 5329 times)

Oldschool

PINKS!!!
« on: January 24, 2006 - 03:59:16 PM »
I know most of us have seen the tv show PINKS!!  I am wondering if I am the only person that thinks it is done unfairly.  I can't believe that a person would give away their car on a race started by the drop of hands.  I know the show is a ratings success, and I know that both parties agree to the format, but it seems like there is a better way. I have seen more than one episode where the combatants are pi$$ed off saying the other guy left the line early.  They should use electronic starting, just like a "real" race.  That way there is no doubt about jumping the start. It's simple that way---you jump the start--you lose the race.  If the show dude wants to control the start like he does now, he still could.  Let him stand where he always stands, but with a button to press to begin the timing tree.  Also, the "spotting" of car lengths should be switched to "spotting" a time period instead. That way, both cars run exactly the same distance. Example:  after a prelimenary pass, it appears that 1 car is 1 second slower than the other, the slower car would get a 1 second head start.  Easily done by programming the starting tree.  Also, if you go faster than you say you will, you lose the race. That eliminates "sandbagging".  I know this sounds like "bracket" racing and it is, but this has been worked out over the years by racers and it has been proven to be about the fairest way to do it. The show would still be a success, and no one would give up their ride on a judgement call.  I know I would not give mine up on an argueable judgement call. Whew!  I feel better now.  Any thoughts?   :cooldancing:  ...Oldschool
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006 - 04:16:58 PM by Oldschool »

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: PINKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 - 04:28:58 PM »
The premise of the show is to simulate street racing so that is why they start without lights and walk off car lengths-just like the street racers would have to do.Using the tree would just be bracket racing except if you lose,you lose your car.It wouldn`t elimninate sandbagging though as there are plenty of bracket racers who are pretty good at it.The one thing that would make the show better is to have a hot babe for a starter instead!  :woohoo:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 - 04:30:19 PM »
I haven't watched that yet. I plan to. Have there been any Mopar episodes?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline pandamarie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006 - 05:11:16 PM »
Watched the show a few times and theres alot of whiners and complainers  racing lots of sandbaggin goin on too. make then race heads up no car lengths, if you bring your car to a street race its heads up if you need lenghts go to the track, I thought the show would be race what you brung heads up and if you didnt bring enough you were walking home.
Dont bring a knife to a gun fight and dont complain when your shot.
1938 packard 120
1948 lincoln convertible coupe(1 of 16)
69 charger
70 challenger R/T 440 6 pac
71 challenger 340 R/T 4 speed
2-1961 nash metropolitans
forgive wifes 75 vette
2002 dakota 4.7

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006 - 05:24:47 PM »
I havnt seen the show, how much are these cars worth and what 1/4 times are they running?

Offline 70Challey340

• I'm just Plum Crazy over mopars
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006 - 05:25:13 PM »
There was one episode where a Corvette was racing another car.  The guy lost the race by a couple of car length.  He went heads up the following races and ending up losing.  The host asked him why he didn't want car lengths and he said "that not racing, it should be heads up".  He lost the car in the end, but he was defiantly old school.   :ylsuper:
1970 Challenger 340

Offline xblade

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006 - 06:44:02 PM »
I'll watch it but I'm not crazy about it.
They are at a drag strip, set up the tree turn the power on and race.
I think the whole show is bullsh-t.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006 - 09:35:58 AM »
I haven't seen it yet.  When does it air and on what channel?

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006 - 10:02:20 AM »
The big problem I have with the show is that they don't give enough info on the cars. I would like to know more about how much horsepower, what rear gears, what shot of NOS there using, and what ET. the cars run. Also the weight of each car.
All this info should be available to the viewers of the show. All PICKS mentions is, 68 Camaro, big block and spray. Sometime they will tell you cubic inches.
Also I've never seen a street race for money that wasn't heads up. They need to pick cars that are more evenly matched. Racing a full race prepaired Camaro against a stock Firebird is just plain stupid. The guy in the way more porwerful Camaro can sand bag every race.

Offline bluecuda

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006 - 11:32:59 AM »
April it is on the speed channel. Not sure what day :eek7: I agree with oldschool. Needs a christmas tree.

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006 - 12:52:02 PM »
 It airs on Wednesday nights, new season should start tonight !
  It is on Speedvision channel

They have done a video replay of disputed "jumping the start"
Half the show is about being a good negotiator, when it comes down to it.

If it were bracket racing I wouldn't watch, I can see that nearly any weekend at the local 1/4 mile.
I've seen cars that I'd value at anywhere from $500 to $30,000. Running from probably 14's  down into the 10's

If the show was strictly heads up, why would anyone attempt to race ?  1 dude in a current dragster or Pro-stock would win every race.
On the street a person can decline a race, here, contracturallly if you refuse to race you lose your ride.

Seems to me it takes confidence in your abilities + car to get on this show....

74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006 - 03:07:01 PM »
I'm with Oldschool.  I wouldn't put my car up for grabs with such a loose format, but that format is the whole point.  It's an organized street-race, nothing more and it's main draw isn't even the racing, it's really about the smack-talking and either backing it up, outfoxing the other guy or possessing enough BS skills to take the win if it's close.  Just my  :2cents:
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Lancerlady03

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006 - 03:34:42 PM »
I've never seen the show. i dont even have TV.  So yeah, i dont really have an opinion that is credible, but from the sounds of it, it doesnt seem like its very legit. but i dunno

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006 - 04:47:12 PM »
Street racers use lengths to match up cars and negotiate them just like the show.Street races can also be started from the dig or the roll and there is also lots of sandbagging with street racers.If you want to win on the street you don`t tell the other guys what et you are running or they will know if they can beat you or not.There is some BS on the show but it does simulate street racing pretty closely and it`s a hell of a lot better than some other shows Nasca-I mean Speed Channel has had on lately! Anyone watch that totally stupid biker show Texas Hardtails?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

daves70

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006 - 06:47:37 PM »
I agree. this show needs some kind of electronics to keep it feesable and close. Texas hardtails is a f---ing joke!!!!!!!! :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: