Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline highspeeddirt

What should I do?
« on: January 24, 2006 - 05:47:15 PM »
Hope I don't get killed for this question, but.......

I posted these pics when I first joined the forum as a car I was looking into getting to restore.  Well, I've decided against this since its so far gone, and there isn't really even any parts left on it.  (not to mention I couldn't ever get back a hold of the guy) But I  had another idea.... IF I can ever get in contact with the guy, and IF he's not to outrageous, I was thinking about cutting it off right in front of where the back seat would be and make a couch out of it.  At least it would be used and "partially" restored instead of just rotting away in the woods.  I just hate to see it go to waste!

I would like to know what the rest of you folks think about that idea?  Please be honest, I will not take anything said the wrong way.  Heck, I'm wishy washy on it too!
          Thanks,
                                HSD

Oh, I don't expect I'll see anyone from this board choose the last option :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006 - 06:12:51 PM by highspeeddirt »

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 - 06:14:33 PM »
I picked option 3 as I figure that for starters . . . you don't know if you can even secure the car and then it looks to me like the current owner has already picked the last option.    :walkaway:   :swear:

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:16:07 AM »
Well, not many votes, but looks like not a good idea.  Just thought it might make a neat little conversation piece to sit in the shop for those kicking back shootin the breeze times.  Oh well..... :dunno:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:41:14 AM »
I guess it wouls be a shame to see that car to go unrestored.  I'm sure we've all seen cars in worse shape go through a resto.

Looks like there's some parts that could be of use to someone.  I say see if you can get it.  Think if you want to do the resto/save parts for yourself.  If not sell the parts to someone who can use them.  There's only so many parts left on this planet to play with!

As far as the sofa route....

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006 - 08:43:10 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:48:16 AM »
pics didn't show up super....

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:48:54 AM »
sorry nevermind  must be something with this computer at work, they are showing up randomly......lol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006 - 08:51:31 AM by highspeeddirt »

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:52:13 AM »
I wonder if that was used as a drag car as the rear wheel wells are cut out larger?  I wonder what the frame rails look like. 
Would make a cool race car if it's available for cheap money.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006 - 09:21:08 AM »
Yep, my brother in-law said he helped the guy move it out in the woods some 20 or so uears ago, and some guy was trying to make a drag car out of it.  He said the frame rails are all gobbed up with welds underneath where the guy tried to tie them together.  :swear: The part of them you can see are just a little surface rusted, but from what I was told, the underneath is a mess!  The wheel wells are cut, and some rope looking crap is stuffed up under the lip.  I think he was trying to flare them. :dunno:
  As far as the couch...Those pics are kinda the idea I had, just was gonna make it face the other way so the tail section stays in tact. And was thinking about making a cooler in the trunk for sodas, beer ect.  keeping the trunk lid in tact of course.  Right now the trunk lid is bent up from someone trying to pry it open.

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006 - 09:32:33 AM »
There's some good ideas as far as the couch goes.  I like the cooler idea.  It could also be made into a neat sort of roll top desk but not roll top but use the trunk lid to cover up and lock your documents. 

Or you could make a nice grill.  If you saw the end of Gone in 60 Seconds with Nicholas Cage they were barbequing in I think the nose section of a '68 Firebird.  Just an idea....  :)

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006 - 09:39:51 AM »
Yeah I thought about the grill, but thought the couch might be easier to keep clean.... :roflsmiley:  I'm gonna make an "engine" smoker already anyway.  I'll post a pic of that tonight, I think you'll like it!

Here's the pic of that "engine" smoker http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=17080.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006 - 06:39:05 PM by highspeeddirt »

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006 - 12:57:42 PM »
My opinion of the car is to strip it of ALL usable parts and scrap the rest that isn't usable....just make sure to give it a proper Plymouth burial service!

Possible usable parts just from the photos:
Doors
Chrome
Roof (if good)
Door Jams
Cowl
Tail Panel (if usable)
ETC.....
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Rough 71 RT

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006 - 10:25:25 AM »
I'll take the pass side rear frame rail, if your taking orders!!!!!!     Dave
Dave Carlson

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006 - 03:14:14 PM »
Well, I think I decided.......I'm gonna keep trying to get a hold of the guy for the car.  Hopefully he's not been looking at the junk thats been going for a fortune on ebay, and wants a forutne himself!  There are some parts I could use off the car for mine, and maybe some parts I could sell to help out some of you other folks.  I know theres not much left to it, but maybe there is some stuff still useful.  I'll let ya'll know if I ever get in contact with him.  Thanks for all the input on this matter!  :cheers:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline jshoop

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006 - 01:26:56 PM »
I vote for trying to save it!  I hate to see a car that is even remotely salvageable get crushed!  Cut down the tree and try to get it on a trailer.  If the roofs intact I usually think it is able to be saved.  I'm to optimistic I guess.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006 - 01:42:56 PM »
What about if you make like a mini trailer out of it like they had for the prowler?
Mike, Fremont, CA.