Author Topic: Example of BAD Bodywork  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Example of BAD Bodywork
« on: January 25, 2006 - 08:20:46 AM »
Hey Gang,

Picked up one of my doors from the blaster yesterday. When I bought my car, the driver's side door had a big dent...no big deal, I worked most of it out just for fun. In fact, the door looked salvagable. the car had been hit at some point in time and body work/paint was done. Well, this is what the blaster uncovered. This is NOT how you should do bodywork! Go out and buy, "The Key to Metal Bumping" by Frank Sargent and do it the right way!

For those not sure what you're looking at, in the bad days of body work, big dents and dings were pulled out by screwing in screws to the dent, attaching the screws to a slide hammer, and banging out the dent. The rough dent was then filled with lots of filler, including the screw holes. The best procedure is to actually bump the metal out from the backside using hammer and dolly techniques. In some cases, jacks would be used. It's actually quite easy to work a big dent out of a door, even if the door has a safety brace. You can get a set of sthingys used for just such purposes. Also, you can get air bags which can be sandwiched between the skin and inner structure and inflated to pop out the metal. For blind areas, a good bodyman will actually cut an access hole to facilitate metal working from the backside. This is commonly done with paintless ding repair. Many body shops use stud welders to attach studs which can be  pulled on with slide hammers and pullers.

remember, the goal is to get the metal into shape so that 1/8" or less of filler is needed. You can usually do even better with just metal bumping!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 - 09:02:34 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Example of BAD Bodywork
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:32:52 AM »
 :22yikes: This brings back the "good old days" of high school body shop! 
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006 - 08:56:50 AM »
I hate to say this but I went to a trade college for autobody years ago and I use to see this done all the time. It's not the way to do it that is for sure but alot of shabby body work gets done all the time even today. You have to know who you are dealing with or this kind of thing can happen. I have welded the holes up many times and then treated the inside of the door so it won't start to rust where it was welded. Keep us posted on your progress with pictures.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 - 09:03:16 PM by Rev-It-Up »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 - 09:52:54 PM »
Steve, my car and yours must have been brothers. lol
Here's what mine looked like prior to a new quarter panel on the passenger side.  (Note: I didn't leave any of the low spots pictured in the repairs.  A stud gun welder & smaller puller & body hammer helped me out a lot with the slight depressions.) 

I'd assume you'll be reskinning that door now?  It'd be a LOT of work trying to get it back into shape I'd imagine.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006 - 05:55:18 AM »
I had picked up another door for like $125. It's in much better shape! The passenger side door will need some work along with the passenger fender. It's a shame people just can't do good body work to begin with!

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:31:40 AM »
At least they had good intentions.  I'm having my body work and paint redone again and we've discovered some beautiful craftsmanship from when it was repainted last.  They'd simply ground out the rust and filled in the holes, no matter what size.  My rear quarter's were solid bondo.  They'd used scraps of metal, cardboard, scotchbright pads, radiator caps and steel wool in various places as backing material to fill in with cheap bondo.  The shop owner who's reworking it now even saved a piece cut out of the door as artwork in his office.  All the fill oozing out of the back hardened into a neat abstract work of art! No wonder my 15 year old renovation was showing rust-through, even though it had seen rain only twice in it's garaged life since the first renovation.  Now it's all metal repair or new panels where needed with bondo used to smooth it out, not fill it in.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:51:25 AM »
 :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Offline common 27

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 - 04:29:47 PM »
Just a little note to 71340RT  Your car looks incredibly straight!!!! Any other pics? :eek2:
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006 - 04:57:48 PM »
Using dent pullers was common back in the day.  Just the way things were done back then.  No other way of doing them.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:38:18 PM »
Well that was better than mine. There was some rust on the car in the lower quarters before a previous owner had it repainted. The repair was done by pounding the rusted metal in and welding a new piece over top. Guess what rust started showing up fairly soon after.
It doesn't pay to go with the cheapest estimate. You will pay for it in the end.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006 - 08:49:10 PM »
B sure to check back here through the weekend...I'm picking up my 71 cuda from the media blaster tomorrow.  I have a feeling I'll have some great picks of bad bodywork.  I'll be sure to post. ( I think!! ) 

I'm in the process of taking a welding class, I got a grade of 99% tonight on our first welding performance test ( stick weld ) I'm feeling more comfortable about possibly doing the metal repairs myself.  We're covering mig welding in a couple weeks.

Cudaaah

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006 - 11:56:35 PM »
Just a little note to 71340RT  Your car looks incredibly straight!!!! Any other pics? :eek2:
Common 27 Thanks for the complement and the car is pretty straight. I primed and blocked sanded most of the body panels 4 times. If I had known the quality of the new quarter panels was so bad I would of blocked them more than twice as they are the worst part of the car and they even look better than the Cuda did when it rolled off the assembly line. I'll look through my pictures and post some so everyone can take a look at my soon to be 6 year 2 car garage restoration.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006 - 09:08:19 PM »
oh man...i gotta get some pics of some of the panels i pulled off of my car...i think i got ya'll beat=p lets call it a BONDO BUGGY! :misbehaving:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006 - 09:21:37 AM »
I hate to say this but I went to a trade college for autobody years ago and I use to see this done all the time. It's not the way to do it that is for sure but alot of shabby body work gets done all the time even today. You have to know who you are dealing with or this kind of thing can happen. I have welded the holes up many times and then treated the inside of the door so it won't start to rust where it was welded. Keep us posted on your progress with pictures.

Hey 71340rt,nice job on the car.Question I see the inside of your wiper cowl is painted,how did you clean up that area when it so hard to get in there?
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006 - 04:28:38 PM »
This is just what I am experiencing right now. Bad bodywork. Bondo over rust, metal plates just screwed in over the rust and bondo over. Both my lower quarters are bondo. What pisses me of is that I have to be the one that has to pay a bodyshop to fix it.  :swear:

Also the floor had a damage, the plates was screwed together, and hidden under something, looks like black silicone, don't know.

Everyting just hidden away, and not a word when the car was sold to the next owner.  :pullinghair: Good thing is, it's being fixed properly, as the 'ol fish deserves, bad thing is, it's out of my pocket.
Member of The Rapid Transit System