Author Topic: Need oil pan advice  (Read 5690 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Need oil pan advice
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006 - 11:51:24 AM »
it's the 31580 pan, I know it's a bunch of money but I'm done with the "dragging parts of the car on the ground" phase of owning this car. Headers, oil pans seems like so much of this stuff was designed for cars with 10 inches of ground clearance. Just my preference that's all. I had to save up and sell stuff on ebay to afford it, but like I said before there are only 3 choices I've found for a decent pan that also doesn't double as a skid plate for every bump in the road
Hemi pan
Moroso u-weld it kit
The oil pan I bought
I haven't decided if I want to scuff the anodizing and paint it the same color as the rest of the motor for the "stealth" factor yet.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006 - 11:59:19 AM »
like I said before there are only 3 choices I've found for a decent pan that also doesn't double as a skid plate for every bump in the road
Hemi pan
Moroso u-weld it kit
The oil pan I bought
I haven't decided if I want to scuff the anodizing and paint it the same color as the rest of the motor for the "stealth" factor yet.

I think I am going to go with the the Hemi pan because its cheaper and I wouldnt be afraid of painting it. I'll probably buy that windage tray though.....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006 - 12:13:56 PM »
Killer Mopar......... how much did you find the Hemi oil pan costs?   I am just wondering because I am needing a higher capacity pan also.     This is a 6 qt pan right?
thanks

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006 - 12:24:14 PM »
Im searching around right now and am a bit confused. I see two different Hemi pans, a 7 qt and a 6 qt. The 7 qt is over 200 bucks, but there are a couple on ebay for a little less. The 6 qt is 150 new at mancini. There is a 6qt oil pan kit made by mopar performance for sale at summit racing for 100 bucks and the picture shows that it brings the pickup and dipstick. Now, if I remember correctly, the stock oil pan size for a 400 is 5 qts....so for only a $100 I can have everything I need to gain an extra qt. Unless someone knows something that I dont....I am pretty sure I am getting the kit at summit......

This is the summit kit

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006 - 01:01:06 PM »
The pan in the picture is for a truck, I know that summit uses the same pictures on multiple components, make sure that the pan you get is a "center" sump type or it won't fit your car, also it should have the acceleration and deceleration baffles to be worthwhile.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006 - 02:43:44 PM »
I too am looking to replace my oil pan.  There are so many choices. I just have a basic 440 with a 780 dual feed Holley and a torquer intake. 4-speed and purple cam. I have a beat up moroso deep sump pan. 3/8" and 1/2" pickup what's the difference? Are the threads the same?  I don't know what pickup I have or if it's even the right length.  Should I replace my stock oil pump?  (I think I have trouble making decisions). I'll probably end up buying a kit.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006 - 08:18:40 PM »
all big blocks ecept the Hemi blocks were drilled with the 3/8 pick up . but can be modified to accept the 1/2" pick up
 I would replace the oil pump with a melling HP pump
 personally I like the wide sump pans to maintain ground clearance 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006 - 08:26:52 PM »
Yeah just noticed that the summit oil pan doesnt have any baffling. Im just going to buy this one on mancini....

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/streethemoil.html

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006 - 08:47:14 AM »
What do you have to modify to use the 1/2" pickup? Is this desireable?
all big blocks ecept the Hemi blocks were drilled with the 3/8 pick up . but can be modified to accept the 1/2" pick up
 I would replace the oil pump with a melling HP pump
 personally I like the wide sump pans to maintain ground clearance 
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006 - 10:59:44 AM »
What do you have to modify to use the 1/2" pickup? Is this desireable?

You have to drill out the 3/8 hole and tap it in the 1/2

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006 - 10:17:08 PM »
there are 2 passages in the block that need to be enlarged
90% of the time this is un-nessisary ,unless you are racing at high rpm

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006 - 08:08:36 PM »
Mancini also offers cusotom aluminum pans that add extra capacity without sacrificing ground cleareance.  Mucho money though.  Has any given any thought to an oil accumulator?  They plumb into the oil system and can provide up to 3 extra quarts of oil on demand.  Moroso sells them.  Plus you can get an electric valve so it will act like a pre-oiler.  Turn the key to on for a few seconds, watch the oil gauge go up, then turn the engine on.  The extra oil goes back into the accumulator until there is a drop in pressure again.  Still not too cheap, but nice insurance.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline pandamarie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006 - 05:01:52 PM »
If all you want is extra oil capacity why not install a dual oil filter set up almost 2 extra quarts right there with the extra filter and the lines, also makes it easy to add an oil cooler for better oil temp and another extra quart of oil.
1938 packard 120
1948 lincoln convertible coupe(1 of 16)
69 charger
70 challenger R/T 440 6 pac
71 challenger 340 R/T 4 speed
2-1961 nash metropolitans
forgive wifes 75 vette
2002 dakota 4.7