What I did on my winter vacation...

Author Topic: What I did on my winter vacation...  (Read 4710 times)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
What I did on my winter vacation...
« on: January 26, 2006 - 03:43:33 AM »
I had the opportunity to go out west recently. I had never been out there before, so it was all quite a new experience for me. The trip started in Phoenix, where I ran in the P.F. Chang's Rock N Roll half-marathon. I finished 889th of over 22,000 runners.  :bananasmi Then it was up to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, then over to Las Vegas. Here are just a few shots of the Grand Canyon. I hope you enjoy them, but they really don't do it justice. You just can't picture how large it really is. The last 2 pics were taken about halfway down inside the canyon on Bright Angel trail. What a hike.  :lol: I'm also including a picture of the "pink jeep tour" in Sedona. What a bumpy ride that was.  :22yikes:

Mike
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006 - 03:47:41 AM by MEKrunner »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: What I did on my winter vacation...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:19:50 AM »
Wow Mike, that looks realy cool.  :thumbsup:

Wish I could have a vacation.  :pullinghair:

Dave

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:31:56 AM »
That's incredible.  It's also my dream vacation believe it or not. Thanks for the pictures Mike.

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006 - 06:34:49 AM »
 Thanks for sharing. I wonder how long did it take?
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006 - 07:55:49 AM »
Great pics Mike!! Thanks for posting them up for all of us who haven't been anywhere lately (that would be me!). I would love to go camping out there sometime....beautiful scenery, views, and complete peace and quiet!  aaahhhhhh....

Sounds like you finished pretty high up there out of 20,000 people!  Congrats!  So, how long does it take to run a 1/2 marathon? 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

kudakidd

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 - 10:16:51 AM »
What's so 'grand' about it? :roflsmiley: Nice pics. :thumbsup:

Oldschool

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006 - 10:51:35 AM »
Great pics MEK!  Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us.  Also, congrats on finishing so well in the 1/2 marathon!
Wish I could run like that!  But whenever I get the urge to go jogging, I just lie down until the urge passes!   :roflsmiley:    :cooldancing:   ....Oldschool

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 - 11:00:29 AM »
That's cool you made it out there, MEK.  Next time you're out there you should go check out Mesa Verde in Arizona.  It's near the four corners (which isn't anything too special), but it was cool to go into a "city" of ancient civilization. (you'd have to watch it though 'cause their openings to get into other rooms are a little short. :lol:  As for the Grand Canyon, as long as you didn't get pestered by the screwy squirrels that run all over the place, it's a pretty cool place to check out.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 70Challey340

• I'm just Plum Crazy over mopars
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006 - 11:52:28 AM »
We were actually there last summer.  Went to Tuscan to see my parent’s old house and then down to Mesa Verde, then travel the back roads up to Sedona.  It is all awesome country.  Went to the Grand Canyon from Sedona.  We pasted quite a few junk yards on the way and country houses that had cars sitting, I was so tempted to stop and see what they had.   :crazy:  :hyper:  We were on a tight schedule and the wife and daughter could have been  :nono:  We then headed back through New Mexico and back into Texas.  A very fun trip that I want to do again; this time stop by those junk yards and country houses.   :clapping:
1970 Challenger 340

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006 - 02:49:19 PM »
We were actually there last summer.  Went to Tuscan to see my parent’s old house and then down to Mesa Verde, then travel the back roads up to Sedona.  It is all awesome country.  Went to the Grand Canyon from Sedona.  We pasted quite a few junk yards on the way and country houses that had cars sitting, I was so tempted to stop and see what they had.   :crazy:  :hyper:  We were on a tight schedule and the wife and daughter could have been  :nono:  We then headed back through New Mexico and back into Texas.  A very fun trip that I want to do again; this time stop by those junk yards and country houses.   :clapping:

I did pass one junk yard along the way. It was like being in a time warp. Everything was 40 or 50 years old. Not much paint left, but NO rust either!!! Here in Maryland, you can't even find something 20 years old that isn't a rust bucket.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006 - 02:53:40 PM »
Cool pics MEK. Yeah, I've been there too. What a fantastic place. Your timing going there in winter is perfect since the smog is a lot less, giving you a better scenic view.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006 - 03:01:08 PM »
Great pics Mike!! Thanks for posting them up for all of us who haven't been anywhere lately (that would be me!). I would love to go camping out there sometime....beautiful scenery, views, and complete peace and quiet!  aaahhhhhh....

Sounds like you finished pretty high up there out of 20,000 people!  Congrats!  So, how long does it take to run a 1/2 marathon? 

Rev,
  You can camp out at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Just be prepared for some major league hiking. They also have something called the Phantom Ranch down there. You have to make reservations in advance though. They estimate a 9-12 hour hike down and back, so that's why people usually go down, stay overnight, then hike back up the next day.

As for my race... I guess you want to see my time slip???  :lol: It took me an hour and 41 minutes to do the 13.1 miles. That isn't bad, but not exactly world class either. I am still stunned I placed so high. Slow runners out west???  :lol2: :lol:

At the risk of boring everybody, I would like to post a few pictures of Sedona. A beautiful small town, with plenty of red. They say that is actually rust since it was under water some 300 years ago. I'll take their word for it since I'm too young to remember.  :lol: :lol: :lol: Arizona seems to be a hiker's paradise.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006 - 03:05:23 PM »
Cool pics MEK. Yeah, I've been there too. What a fantastic place. Your timing going there in winter is perfect since the smog is a lot less, giving you a better scenic view.

Yeah Topcat,
  I remember you going there. I didn't know they had smog problems. It was nice and clear while I was there. Not too cold either. It's a great place to hike, but I can't see doing it in the heat of the summer.  :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006 - 03:41:15 PM »
I dunno,MEK, I think that you may of mistakenly mixed up your canyons. I was at the Waiamea Canyon last year. On the island of Kauii. Regardless, yes I saw Grand also before. If you could ever get into the Marathon man contest MEK, then you could see the Waiamea Canyon also.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006 - 04:04:35 PM »
I dunno,MEK, I think that you may of mistakenly mixed up your canyons. I was at the Waiamea Canyon last year. On the island of Kauii. Regardless, yes I saw Grand also before. If you could ever get into the Marathon man contest MEK, then you could see the Waiamea Canyon also.

My bad Topcat.  :-[ :-[ :-[

I remembered seeing you riding a bike down some canyon, but with pictures getting deleted around here, I was left to rely on my memory banks in my head.  :banghead: Sorry about that, but at least you know what I'm babbling about.  :lol:
  Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD