Author Topic: Grill Repair  (Read 2919 times)

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
Grill Repair
« on: January 27, 2006 - 04:07:26 PM »
Does anyone have a proven method on repairing cracks in grills. ( 71 cuda ).  I bought a plastic repair kit from Eastwood. I tried a small area, found that spreading was sloppy, and when I sanded, the plastic repair area was much harder than actual grill, and found that the surrounding area was sanding down further than the repair.  I didn't go too far, but am concerned about doing a larger area.

any tips would be appreciated.

Cudaaah

Offline willhaven

Re: Grill Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006 - 06:00:26 PM »
Were you sanding with some sort of backing behind the paper? Sanding with just your hand could cause problems.

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006 - 06:16:26 PM »
I was actually using a small sanding block, but the area I was in was small and somewhat tough to get to.  I didn't want my first attempt to be in the center of the grill.  This was a hairline crack around the headlight, where it bends tightly.  I also was working mainly on the back side of the grill. 

again, because testing both the product and myself, I wanted to be careful not to make a mess.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006 - 09:18:55 PM »

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006 - 12:35:44 AM »
Thanks,

That sounds similar to what I got from Eastman...I'll get some and try it and get back w/ results.

cudaaah

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006 - 09:52:46 AM »
I'm currently restoring a 70 grille that was hit in the middle and the center section had parts missing. Luckily all the little slots were there but the middle rib that seperates the two sides was shattered. I tried a two part epoxy that a body guy had recommended and the center had split a few months later. This time i'm trying kitty hair for the center section rebuild. I hammered and dollied a peice of 22 gauge sheet metal to fit the center rib from the inside. I them filled the thing with kitty hair and set the metal reinforcement into it. Them filled the missing portions from the outside and smoothed it out. Been sanding out the rough finish but I can say it feel like this is going to hld alot better. Its getting it to bond to the palstic that is hard.I think the kitty hair has a better chance of boning to it. Also a few if the little ribs had seperated and i tried using Gorilla Glue that you can get from Home Depot. This stuff can bond to anything. I used the kitty hair as a filler and to rebuild the missing areas. I used the Gorilla Glue for the parts that I just needed to glue toghether. Will get some pics if you like.

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006 - 12:19:09 PM »
Ya know, I told my wife I thought our cat was due for a trimming...did you use scissor or shears?  :roflsmiley:

Iv'e seen that stuff @ the local auto paint store.  although I'm only fixing some stress cracks I'd love to see pics and here how the products work.

cudaaah

Offline Pipefish

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006 - 11:25:46 PM »
I just finished repairing my grill that had 5 or 6 cracks with sem product#39767 problem plastic repair material, it works great .

Offline Pipefish

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006 - 11:28:14 PM »
I left out one detail,if its a large crack make sure you use some kind of backing material, I used plastic screen wire I picked up at the local glass shop.