Author Topic: Foure wheel power disc brakes.... where and how?  (Read 5569 times)

Offline asm74

Foure wheel power disc brakes.... where and how?
« on: January 30, 2006 - 12:22:09 AM »
While Im rebuilding this 73 challenger, I want to replace the tired (rusty) old rear drums and front discs with sexy new discs at all four wheels.  Noone seems to sell a 4 wheel disc kit for e-bodys, and before I go calling SSBC and MP Brakes, I wanted to ask what peoples experiences with this setup have been, and what I should look out for, expecially in teh way of booster/master cylinders and proportioning valves.

Thanks in advance!

73 Challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Foure wheel power disc brakes.... where and how?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006 - 11:26:36 AM »
for the front discs I would use the Magnum/ Cordoba caliper adapters & rotors & just step up to 12" disc , it is the cheapest way to upgrade the front brakes , for the rear you need to go aftermarket ,Wilwood , Baer, SSBC all offer good stuff
 The complication comes in with the master cylinder , you will either need a large cylinder & have the residual pressure valve removed from the line to the drums or get a specific master designed to work with 4 wheel discs , you may also have to experiment with the bore diameter of the master as a large bore May create to hard pedal feel & a smaller bore may travel too far 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline xblade

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006 - 08:23:05 PM »
Where do we get the Magnum/ Cordoba caliper adapters ?
asm74, you may want to consider 11x3 drum upgrade. Not as "sexy" as a rear disc but still an upgrade.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006 - 12:08:13 AM »
Wreckers or I can get new ones & or find out who is making them

Offline xblade

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006 - 07:21:35 PM »
I'd buy the hardware new but who makes the adapter?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006 - 09:50:31 PM »
I will have to find out

Offline asm74

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006 - 12:26:02 AM »
Thanks for the leads.  Can I assume that my current (original) 73 power booster will work with a 4 wheel disc cylinder?  I just found that Baer is making a $2k 4 wheel disc setup for e-bodys but theres no indication of power assist. urk.

73 Challenger

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006 - 12:37:02 AM »
I just found that Baer is making a $2k 4 wheel disc setup for e-bodys.

Kind of steep, what calipers are they including in the kit??
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Bamakx

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006 - 06:19:30 AM »
I have Wilwood front and rear and for power assistance I have an Hydroboost system ( www.hydratechbraking.com ).  Easy for me because I had power steering but not power brakes.
73 Challenger 440 727 with Over drive

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006 - 08:02:20 AM »
Kind of steep, what calipers are they including in the kit??

Description of Year One's kit.

"1973-1974 E-body Sport 4-wheel disc brake kit, Baer. Baer Racing Sport front/rear brake system for 1973-1974 E-bodies with OE front disc brakes. This kit includes two aluminum PBR 2-piston front calipers, two aluminum PBR single-piston rear calipers, two 12" x 1.1" slotted, drilled, zinc-washed front rotors, two 12" x 0.81" slotted, drilled, zinc-washed rear rotors, an updated master cylinder, adjustable proportioning valve, stainless-steel brake lines, all necessary installation hardware. $2089.00 "
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006 - 11:46:36 AM »
"1973-1974 E-body Sport 4-wheel disc brake kit, Baer. Baer Racing Sport front/rear brake system for 1973-1974 E-bodies with OE front disc brakes. This kit includes two aluminum PBR 2-piston front calipers, two aluminum PBR single-piston rear calipers, two 12" x 1.1" slotted, drilled, zinc-washed front rotors, two 12" x 0.81" slotted, drilled, zinc-washed rear rotors, an updated master cylinder, adjustable proportioning valve, stainless-steel brake lines, all necessary installation hardware. $2089.00 "

Ouch, that is pretty steep for a system that isn't much better than stock. For that money, I would go with SSBC Force10s (4-piston) in the front and the SSBC Rear Disc conversion. If memory serves me correct the rear conversion is $750, while the fronts cost $1100-$1300 for the Force 10s and less for the regular kit. If this would have been 2 weeks ago I would have said that it was your lucky day because Summit Racing had the Polished Force10 kit for $830....normally lists for over $1200. They discontinued the sale after I bought the last one ;D I wasnt a big fan of SSBC untill I recieved the kit. I was surprised that it brought all the hardware to install it and even brought a bench bleeder kit for the master cylinder.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006 - 03:43:42 PM »
Those SSBC's look sweet, but they won't work for his application. He needs a disc upgrade on the front, not a drum-to-disc conversion.  As far as I know Baer is the only one that offers a matching upgrade kit for this application.  (Wilwood isn't a matching kit and Master brakes appears to be the stock Kelsey-Hayes which came on the 73's)  Funny thing about the price, I talked to Baer directly and their pricing is about $200 less than Year-One, but they don't sell to the public.  :stomp:

I would disagree with your statement that the Baer isn't much of an upgrade.  The system described uses the same parts that PHR used on it's Project g-28 1974 Camaro, which came stock with single piston K-H calipers and drums out back. They showed it to be a substantial upgrade.

Check out the article. http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0506phr_g28/
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline asm74

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006 - 10:02:09 PM »
Im really glad to have started this thread, learning a lot  :clapping:.  I take it that the Hydratech Hydraulic assist kit for B-bodys would be interchangeable since the `73 boosters on challengers are interchangeable with the `73 B-bodys booster? 
The one question I really have, and its  anew bie one, is that rae all calipers and rotors equal, weather you have power assist or not? I know fittings to spindles and axles differ, but can I take a set of calipers, and a master cylinder and just drop my power booster behind them?  If not, whats the mechanical difference between a manual caliper versus a power caliper?  :dunno:

Thanks
73 Challenger

Offline asm74

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006 - 10:04:32 PM »
P.S.  Sorry for the spelling errors.  It was late.
73 Challenger

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006 - 06:59:50 AM »
I have the Baer Sport kit that Year One sells.  I can't comment on the performance yet, but the install was pretty easy.  As for the price, I know the kit lists at over $2000, but there is a automatic 10% discount on the item.  At least there was.  That gets the kit down to pretty close to what other news ones would be (front+back).  Be aware it might be a while before you receive the kit though.  It took about three months to get it all.  In the end you get a new master cylinder, braided lines, front rotors, front hubs (already built), rear rotors, the calipers, adjustable proportioning valve, and all the brackets and hardware to get them on.