Author Topic: Does Anyone on Board have a Gear Vendors Unit?  (Read 20236 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Does Anyone on Board have a Gear Vendors Unit?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006 - 12:19:52 AM »
I have one and I love it  :burnout:
I got the unit mounted under the radio and engage/disengage it by pressing down on hibeam switch. Hibeams are now used with another switch under dash edge. 28 inch tall tires, 3.55 gears, foward pattern 727 w/ 3,800 stall. When I get a new rear I'm getting 3.91 gears and lowering stall speed. I'm in search of good top end power  :bigsmile:

So, do the 3:55's offer a good launch? If you are upgrading to a crown & pinion set of 3:91's I guess your not entirely happy with it. What engine do you have, hp and torque outputs? Have you got the 6 forward ratios smooth and precise yet? Is there anyway to get rid of the dip when you shift to 2nd or 3rd and click OD off it dips a bit, have you got that down to a tee so there is no dip (just makes it feel like 3rd or 2nd gear hitting).

Thanks.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006 - 06:52:09 AM »
Hey guys, what size tire diameter you runnin? I got 33" tall M/T Sportsmans, 486 gears (spooled) and I go 50 mph revvin about 3,000 rpm. I been considering an overdrive too cuz I love the launch I get with my gears but I can't get comfortable on the freeway buzzin that high.

That's a sweet looking Cuda FNC, I'm a little partial for the Plum but it would look sweet any color! I like the 6pak hood too.

That's the problem though Glen.....

I forgot to mention that GV needs to know what ratio you have before they send because they set it up for those gear ratios, so changing ratios later on will be putting the GV unit off and basically making the system useless.

That's why I'm pulling my hair out...I need to make the right decision, now.  :pullinghair:

I've emailed Gear Vendors help line asking if this is true if they make the GV unit, or set it up for the gear given by the customer. I also asked if we can change gear ratios later down the track, will it wreck or void the GV...etc?
So when they reply I will let you know, if I knew that I could change the ratio later on if 4:10's were too much I'd get 4:10s! But 3:55's are where I sit at the moment...2:76 cruiser and no slouch from the line.....

Cheers,
Carl

:dunno: I didn't know the GV unit would need to be modified if the rearend ratio is changed. I don't like that too much, I want a little flexibility and don't want to hastle with pulling the GV unit if I do decide to change ratios. The OD isn't a set ratio then? I need to visit the site again and dig a little deeper. Not considering changing my mind just need to know the whole story. Have they written you back yet?

I have one and I love it  :burnout:
I got the unit mounted under the radio and engage/disengage it by pressing down on hibeam switch. Hibeams are now used with another switch under dash edge. 28 inch tall tires, 3.55 gears, foward pattern 727 w/ 3,800 stall. When I get a new rear I'm getting 3.91 gears and lowering stall speed. I'm in search of good top end power  :bigsmile:

Hey 73cuda426, what do you know about the need to have the GV modified if you change rearend ratios? Sounds llike this is a sweet addition to any performance car.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006 - 05:39:17 PM »
:dunno: I didn't know the GV unit would need to be modified if the rearend ratio is changed. I don't like that too much, I want a little flexibility and don't want to hastle with pulling the GV unit if I do decide to change ratios. The OD isn't a set ratio then? I need to visit the site again and dig a little deeper. Not considering changing my mind just need to know the whole story. Have they written you back yet?

Yip this is their response copied below:

Carl,

The reason we ask for your rear gear ratio and tire size is to get the proper gear to drive your speedometer correctly. You can put any gear you want into your differential. To drive your speedometer correctly we need to know the ratio, and the tire size.

Jeff Kubizna
Gear Vendors

So it's all good!!!  :bananasmi

Offline 73cuda426

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006 - 07:19:58 PM »
Jeff answered it. It's to correct speedometer.
I have an Indy 426 wedge stroker w/ 515 hp and 505 torque.
I put in GV unit b/c I was redlining at 130mph and wanted to go faster.
Also my average speed at 80 mph had the engine revving to loud w/ 3 inch TTI exhaust. Since installing GV unit I also went with 245/45/17 front and 285/40/18 back. Taller tires w/ GV unit in overdrive did the trick. I hit 140 etc and car was completely stable w/ sway bars, HD 6 leaf springs, welded subframe connectors, Edelbrock IAS shocks, .960 torsion bars, firm feel stage II steering box, aluminum parts and griffin radiator w/ 2 Be cool electric fans. Car has been lowered for lower center of gravity. I had to slow down b/c I need braaaaaakes :angelwings:
So I'm waiting on Bear 13' rotors w/ hydrotech booster. Just placed dynomat throughout car and it's finally quiet....so now I can deal w/ 3.91 gears even though revs will go back up. 3,800 stall is too high so 9 1/2' converter will be changed to 2,500 stall
My 8 3/4 posi rear is on it's last legs so I'm thinking of changing to an updated moser or strange bulletproof unit. Car is currently stripped to metal and body work is almost done. Waiting on an AAR hood, rear and front spoiler.
Car spools up so quickly in 1st w/ foward pattern manual valve body on auto 727 that I don't have time to mess w/ 1st over. I use it after 2nd and 3rd gear. My goal is for car to be a Z06 vette, Ferrari, and porsche 911 hunter. They all know I mean business just by reading my plate....KILRCUDA  :burnout:
You will be so happy w/ this GV unit b/c you can cruise in OD or pound rustangs all day in 3rd  :bigsmile:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006 - 07:50:25 AM by 73cuda426 »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006 - 08:02:49 PM »

Cool thanks mate that helps. I have also heard another GV user say that he doesn't use the 1st-Over either.
After 2nd he does....I will use it, with 400hp and 3.91 gears I'll have a little more time to get set for it.

The guy I was referring to has 4:30 gears. lol
No wonder he has no choice but not to grab it or else he loose time from going sideways.... :eek7: :roflsmiley:

Cheers bud.  :cheers:

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006 - 09:40:47 PM »

IMO with your set up 4:30's may be the way to go. Still a fantastic ratio, you drop a bit of aggression from the line. I have no idea how you hook up now, with those huge fats at the back I would imagine you have no problems with your hook up so maybe 4:56 gears too. Below are what you would gain by going to 4:30's and 4:56's.

4:56 gears would give you an OD gear of 3.55
4.30 gears would give you an OD gear of 3.35

With 4:56 gears @ 75mph in OD = 2710rpm (just a tick over 2700rpm).
With 4.30 gears @ 75mph in OD = 2560rpm

Without the Gear Vendors unit and a gear change to either 4:30's or 4:56's:

4:56 gears @ 75mph = 3480rpm (Over your 4:86 gears is a 200rpm decrease)
4:30 gears @ 75mph = 3280rpm (Over your 4:86 gears is a 430rpm decrease)

IMO  4:30 would be the way to go to see a major difference, 430rpm drop is very good.

3.55 with your set up and or 3.35 are very good for the car you are driving.
Even in stock form (440-4bbl) making stock hp/Trq 3.35 gears offer good mph and mpg on the highway.

The Gear Vendors unit is $2,395 give or take $50 on where you buy it from.
Considering the price of the Keisler products this is one hell of a price, you do it once and that's it.
I have heard they are bullet proof while doing my own searches (from well known car guys on other forums).

Hope that helps.  :thumbsup:

NZ, that's about as thorough as one can get. Thank you! Lots to think about now.
As for not having traction problems, this is not the case. The Mickey Thompson Sportsmans are hard as a rock and spin like mad!
Impresses the heck out of those that believe there's just too much power for even monster meats.
The cars is set to hook up huge slicks with a huge motor. This motor now is big but not huge.
History has it runnin low 9s with the old motor. Honestly don't know what it was but I'm told it carried the wheels easily as it hooked and went straight and very quick.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006 - 09:44:27 PM by F N Cuda »
Got Fatties?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006 - 10:46:02 PM »
NZ, that's about as thorough as one can get. Thank you! Lots to think about now.
As for not having traction problems, this is not the case. The Mickey Thompson Sportsmans are hard as a rock and spin like mad!
Impresses the heck out of those that believe there's just too much power for even monster meats.
The cars is set to hook up huge slicks with a huge motor. This motor now is big but not huge.
History has it runnin low 9s with the old motor. Honestly don't know what it was but I'm told it carried the wheels easily as it hooked and went straight and very quick.

No worries mate glad I could help.  :cheers:
IMO you should get the Gear Vendors and re-gear to 4:30's which is 2560 @ 75mph in OD.

You will give your tires more of a chance to bite and at the same time lower your cruising speed dramatically.
If worse comes to worst you can always re-gear higher/lower to suit. But having the Gear Vendors allows you to choose any gear you wish and not get hard when considering 80mph driving scenarios.

Definitely something to ponder.  :thumbsup:

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006 - 11:23:39 PM »
Is the speedo the only issue with slappin in a GV with existing gears and then changing gears if I tear these up?
Cuz these must be gettin worked with the spool on the street.
Amazingly enough though, the REAR tires are holding up great. I smoke um often, the tires that is, and they bark at every gear change. Hard as rocks though, that'll help em last awhile.
On the other hand, the front skinnies never had a chance! Shredded my first set in a short time due to the rears drivin em right into the ground every time I try to turn this ride goin slow. Camber is off after crankin down the torsionbars but the toe was set to 1/8" as soon as it was lowered. I'm in the suspension thread checkin out upper arms and offset bushings for this.
 Drives very well, straight and true down the road but with the stiff suspension, and extreme sidewall height, it's a bit bouncy. Maybe adjustable shocks and more progressive springs will calm it down a little too.
I love the 4:86s. I shift 3 times before I reach other side of an intersection, and I'm ALWAYS in the torque powerband! I must cruise at 50 though.
I might be able to live with 65MPH  @ 2500 after all.
Got Fatties?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006 - 11:39:00 PM »
Is the speedo the only issue with slappin in a GV with existing gears and then changing gears if I tear these up?

I might be able to live with 65MPH  @ 2500 after all.

Yip, that and tire size is the only thing that would change the Gear Vendor/speedo read out.

If you can live with the 65mph, you might want to consider down sizing "slightly" to 4:56 gears.
That's still a fantastic gear for your set up and get this at 65mph you'll be doing 2350rpm!! 4:30's even less.....

:bananasmi

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006 - 11:46:57 PM »
As you must know, racecars don't need speedos.
I'm gettin jazzed about an OD now and it's all your fault!
New toy could be soon.
Got Fatties?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2006 - 12:35:31 AM »
As you must know, racecars don't need speedos.
I'm gettin jazzed about an OD now and it's all your fault!
New toy could be soon.

LMAO!!!  :roflsmiley: That's how I felt....someone got one and I was like, "Hmmmm"  :swaying:
About 1 week later I have one on order from Year One. Should be here within a week.  :bananasmi

Keep me/us updated if you do decide to purchase the Gear Vendors unit.
That way the GV unit guys can help each other out if any problems, issues or tips arise.

:thumbsup:

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2006 - 06:09:21 AM »
This has been a real informative thread,  :ylsuper: very glad to hear the only changes are the speedo and tire size for speed calculations. Thanks everyone who jumped in here and told their experiences with the GV. Sounds like a real nice addition to an already great Mopar car!! Anyway, I'll order mine just before I'm ready to drop the engine in in about a month.  :cheers: 

:working:  Better go get busy!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2006 - 06:24:47 AM »
Anyway, I'll order mine just before I'm ready to drop the engine in in about a month.  :cheers: 

Yehaaaaw!! Sounds good mate!!!  :cheers: Me and you can be GV buddies.  :lol2: :bananasmi

You seen these gadets? Just ordered mine. $299 for the RR model and $199 for the SS.
G-Tech Pro module.

Measures: 0-60mph, 60ft, 1/4 mile, hp, Torque, G's, rpms, shift light, you can dowload up to 30 readings to computer to see how you've been shifting where your making the most hp etc All of this and it's only 0.100ths +/- or bang on.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006 - 06:26:41 AM »

Forgot....I was thinking about these two locations for mine.  :thumbsup:
I think I like the console option better, no one can see I'm going hard except me....not as "showy".

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2006 - 01:49:29 PM »

Forgot....I was thinking about these two locations for mine.  :thumbsup:
I think I like the console option better, no one can see I'm going hard except me....not as "showy".
Are you going to leave it permanently mounted or temp?  There are screws that hold the light "tray" in place that can be used to mount a bracket for temporary placement in front of the clock.  Wires can be routed through the seat belt light hole to the side. Or there are trim bolts below the radio where it can be mounted permanently.  Both are not easily visible outside the car and there's no messing up your console that way.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger