Does Anyone on Board have a Gear Vendors Unit?

Author Topic: Does Anyone on Board have a Gear Vendors Unit?  (Read 20246 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Does Anyone on Board have a Gear Vendors Unit?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2006 - 01:53:10 PM »
Are you going to leave it permanently mounted or temp?  There are screws that hold the light "tray" in place that can be used to mount a bracket for temporary placement in front of the clock.  Wires can be routed through the seat belt light hole to the side. Or there are trim bolts below the radio where it can be mounted permanently.  Both are not easily visible outside the car and there's no messing up your console that way.

Thanks mate, I've taken note and will run it pass my resto team.
We'll try all possible solutions to find the best spot. It will be permanent, like my radar, head-unit, G-Tech etc....

Cheers.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006 - 11:27:34 PM »
I hope the new GTech is better than the old one.. While it did seem pretty accurate it was extremly fiddly and a pain in the a$$ to setup.

The original one had to be mounted on the windscreen in the middle. You then have to fiddle with it so it's level. It has a guage which tells you when it is. But before that, you need to enter the weight of your car - this is done by tilting the GTech up or down to increase or decrease the weight. The pain is that the device doesn't remember this when it'd turn'd off. So everytime you turn it on you have to do this. PAIN.

I'm assuming that the new one has to be mounted the same but hopefully you won't have to keep entering the weight of your car like the old one.
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006 - 12:03:41 AM »

The new series is well updated. Log your cars weight in once and that's it. All your info is loaded and when switched off resumes when you start up again including what setting you were on. If your talking about the old model that looks something like a radar that thing is nasty!! lol Ancient doesn't do it justice. lol

:thumbsup:

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2006 - 06:36:20 AM »
HRM has an in-depth article of the Gear Vendor unit in the April 06 issue that just arrived in my mailbox.  They talk about a new item which auto-shifts the GV unit so that you can use it easily as a multi-speed instead of just an overdrive. You might want to check it out.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2006 - 04:33:56 PM »
HRM has an in-depth article of the Gear Vendor unit in the April 06 issue that just arrived in my mailbox.  They talk about a new item which auto-shifts the GV unit so that you can use it easily as a multi-speed instead of just an overdrive. You might want to check it out.

Thanks, will do.  :thumbsup:
Does this new piece bolt on or something? Or is it some kind of software?  :dunno:

:cheers:

Offline crcarch

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2006 - 05:23:26 PM »
From the picture, it's a little of both.  There's a mechanical sensor that attaches to the unit with a computer control unit which interacts with the shift control and the tach.  The CPU is housed in a SWEET billet alum. case!  $450.00 MSRP.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2006 - 06:18:57 PM »
From the picture, it's a little of both.  There's a mechanical sensor that attaches to the unit with a computer control unit which interacts with the shift control and the tach.  The CPU is housed in a SWEET billet alum. case!  $450.00 MSRP.

Thanks mate......do you know what else it does? I was hoping it may help the OD off "pause" when changing to the next gear. I heard you "can" get it right but it takes practise. I have kind of worked it out that you push the OD button off then quickly shift into your existing gear ie: 2nd and it should be smooth as silk.

Get it wrong and your engine will try to pull 10,000rpm (NOT good) get it late and it pauses, dips then resumes. But I guess having it pause and sound a little ugly is better than having you engine in pieces in the rear view mirror. lol

I'm searching the Hot Rod site for the article.....

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006 - 06:21:23 PM by NZ440R/T »

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2006 - 09:00:39 PM »
Wow guys, Gettin very techy. I might get scared off. I think I just want an extra gear.
Drove a tow truck with a two speed rear end once, that was fun.
Got Fatties?

Offline crcarch

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2006 - 09:17:50 PM »

I'm searching the Hot Rod site for the article.....

I'll e-mail you a PDF of the article.  Check your mail box.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006 - 12:31:51 AM »
I'll e-mail you a PDF of the article.  Check your mail box.

Got it!! Thanks mate....I will post it for all to see. That new add on saves some major hassle and makes the unit 10 times as good IMO. I was honestly thinking about why they couldn't get a system or even the existing GV unit to shut the OD automatically once the existing gear has been selected, now they do!!  :bananasmi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006 - 01:26:29 AM »
Selecting a GV that's right for you:

For anyone interested there is now a $450 add on that eliminates having to switch the OD button off before/after switching to your next existing gear, eg: 2nd or 3rd. There are two styles of electronics you can get from Gear Vendors: The standard Auto Drive package and the optional, new AutoShift sequencer.

The difference to the standard package is that the AutoShift takes those shifts where you are moving the shift lever and clicking the Gear Vendors and automates the process. So, launch in First and immediately press the button for First-over (like the standard electronics) when you are tached up and ready for Second, move the shift lever into 2nd and when the trans grabs Second-gear the AutoShift sequencer will take out the overdrive without you having to click the button. When you are ready for Second-over just click the button, and when you move to Third the sequencer takes out the overdrive.

When you are cruising and click in the overdrive, it will turn itself off at low speed/rpm (22mph) and when you want it back on just click it in. So you always tell it when you want to shift in to overdrive in any gear which preserves the fun interactive part and still allows you to decide on 1/2 steps in gearing or full steps depending on what mood, acceleration, or who’s watching. The sequencer just automates the deactivation of the overdrive.

With the normal autodrive package you have to turn the OD off manually and even the manufacture stats that no one has got this down to a fine art. You are left with a dip/pause and then it kicks in. It is possible to get it perfectly though get it wrong and your drivetrain will let you know sending your rpms into the teens.

Click here to here the non-synce shift between the existing gears and turning OD off.
It's at about 6 minutes into the video so you may want to fast forward.

http://www.gearvendors.com/videoclips/hotrodnewz_broadband.wmv

The Autoshift sequencer is by far the greatest improvement on an already top notch product.
If anyone is serious about getting a GV unit I HIGHLY recommend you get the AutoShift sequencer package.

I have made sure mine will be updated with this new electronic piece.
Now you only have to split the gears and shift and the GV makes it smooth and precise.

Thanks to crcarch (Cliff) for informing me of the product.
Above information is from tech support, articles and what I have learnt.

NZ440R/T

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2006 - 06:39:25 AM »
That's good info Carl, thanks!   :thumbsup:

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2006 - 03:54:35 PM »
Cool little video. Must be tough to get the shifts right on if the GV dude can't even stick it!
Seems as tho a mechanical off switch near the shift linkage somewhere could work.
Auto off at each shift detent and you push the button for back on after each shift.
I was also thinkin for my B&M prostick shifter, the button/switch could be activated by the trigger/handle cuz it's needed for each shift any way.
Too easy? If it was easy, I guess everybody would be doin it huh?
Pix, post em if ya got em. Here's a blatant shot of a plaque that was made of the 'F 'N 'CUDA article in SuperRod magazine December 2005. I'm so lucky to get in a mag!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006 - 10:03:24 PM by 4cruzin »
Got Fatties?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2006 - 06:37:06 PM »
Cool little video. Must be tough to get the shifts right on if the GV dude can't even stick it!
Seems as tho a mechanical off switch near the shift linkage somewhere could work.
Auto off at each shift detent and you push the button for back on after each shift.
I was also thinkin for my B&M prostick shifter, the button/switch could be activated by the trigger/handle cuz it's needed for each shift any way.

Cool photo shoot and mag article FNC.  :cheers:

It is tough and in one review GV's themselves admit no one has mastered it yet, always getting that OD off lag.
The guy who was driving that car is the president of GV's himself!! (Even he can't do it) He was way off...

Not sure if you read my entire post FN but that is what I am talking about, the new Autoshift sequencer eliminates that OD off. It does it automatically! Driver just engages OD then shifts into the next gear.
Between that shift the Autoshift unit sensors the change via rpm drop and band work and turns itself off.

So you only need the button to turn OD on, that's it.

Yeah, a nice Hurst Pistol grip 1/4 stick would be nice because they come with buttons.
Only problem is, they have cables (yuck) and they don't look stock, far from it, no good for people like me.

So the Gear Vendors is basically a fool proof system.
OD gear, smooth crisp quick shifts and user friendly, Can't wait!

:bananasmi :ylsuper: :jumping: :burnout:

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006 - 04:41:07 PM »
NZ,
How do you like your pistol grip shifter?  How is it actuated and where did you get it?  How much was it? 

Thanks,

PlumCrazyChris
Austin, Tx
70 Challenger 340 Convertible
70 Challenger 340
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org