Author Topic: Advice on Headers  (Read 1555 times)

Offline 71chmark

Advice on Headers
« on: February 01, 2006 - 09:44:42 AM »
Looking for some advice on headers for my mild street 440 4-speed. Not sure I want to spend for the TTi's (what's the word on them anyways?). Trying to keep it around 500$. Prefer not to have to modify my shifter linkage which it states in the Headman Elite ad. I now have 15 year old (low miles) Hooker Competition (cheap) which I had to "modify" to get around my steering box (power). Looking to upgrade.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

kudakidd

Re: Advice on Headers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006 - 10:33:18 AM »
TTI's are a great header, but big bux. Hooker super comps are much less expensive, but they may require a few 'dings'. Whatever brand you get, go with a ceramic coating. They'll keep the engine and under hood temps way down, plus they always look good. :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006 - 11:33:03 AM »
My experince with TTi has been Awesome , they are top quality & fit perfectly & yes you pay too much for them BUT over the life of a header what is it worth Not to burn spark plug wires & replace them , not to have to replace gaskets & have constant leaks , + not having to fight to change the plugs ??

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006 - 02:54:29 PM »
Another factor to consider as far as fit goes, is what size primary tubes are you wanting to get? I know people say they put 1 7/8 inch on 440's, but I don't know what shoe horn they used.  :lol: I had enough trouble with 1 3/4 inch. I bought the regular Hedman's from Jet-Hot, so I got the ceramic coating on them.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline matt63

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006 - 10:13:57 PM »
My experince with TTi has been Awesome , they are top quality & fit perfectly & yes you pay too much for them BUT over the life of a header what is it worth Not to burn spark plug wires & replace them , not to have to replace gaskets & have constant leaks , + not having to fight to change the plugs ??

I think that cutting corners on the headers is usually regretted.  For my small block I found that TTIs were not much more than Hooker Super Comps. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006 - 02:35:07 AM »

tti
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006 - 05:55:08 PM »

tti

x2 and I dont even own a set yet....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Oldschool

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006 - 06:46:34 PM »
TTI's.   They are proven superior performers on Mopars.   Do a little research and verify it yourself.  They have demonstrated that they are superior and you pay for that.  In whatever product you are buying, you pay more to get the best and this is no different.  Each person's needs and budget are different.  Weigh it out and decide what works for your application.    :cooldancing:   ....Oldschool

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006 - 03:35:35 PM »
I bought the tti headers and the money I save on burnt plug wires payed for the headers...lol

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006 - 05:37:58 AM »
I ordered my set of TTI's on Friday 2 1/4 primaries 3 1/2 collectors - 3" x pipe system with mufflers from mancini - 3" steel tips off ebay.

Was told by Mancini that my 11" bell housing may pose a problem tho'.

I have not yet bought clutch as I may change to 10 1/2" housing for better fit - have 4 speed tranny to be installed.

Any thoughts?
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006 - 01:32:51 AM »
we used the 2" 440 headers with no problem on a Charger with a blast sheild
 2 1/4 is Huge must be a Hemi !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t