Author Topic: New Subframe connectors from US Tool  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
New Subframe connectors from US Tool
« on: February 02, 2006 - 06:41:12 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

Check out the new subframe connectors from John at US Tool. They are cut to match the profile of the floor pans. They will require some trimming to fit, but what would you expect. When done, they look slick. Can't wait to get them painted and the undercoating on. They'll totally look factory at that point!

Offline lemurfart

Re: New Subframe connectors from US Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006 - 07:38:04 PM »
there was a thread about these a while ago

great pics they look quite nice

might have to get myself a pair
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

Offline lemurfart

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006 - 03:08:46 PM »
do you prefer those ones over the ones that yearone sells

these ones look more finished, are the strengths about the same?
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006 - 06:01:41 PM »
Steve, those look very nice!!!  I remember seeing the post a couple months back about these things, but only saw the photos they provided on the website.  I may have to look into these as a future upgrade to ensure nothing gets twisted from the mighty 340.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline common 27

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006 - 08:56:27 AM »
 Steve I wish I had your ambition!!Your car is coming along very nicely.I'm also going to check into getting a pair of these.
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006 - 08:59:48 AM »
I bought these directly from John at US Car Tool. Not sure which ones Year One sells. I know that Auto Rust Technicians sells a weld-in connector that is somewhat profiled but isn't welded to the floor pans. The other connectors, like the Mopar Performance ones, are really just tubes. I chose these connectors because when welded in, painted, and undercoated, they will really look "stock". Also, welding the connector to the floorpans has to add some rigidity over just welding a connector to the front and rear subframes. A lot of folks claim that putting in connectors really helps the handling of the car. I won't know because I've never driven this thing!    :grinno:

Common27, I've had the car for 2 years now and it's like most other things....you work hard on it for a while, then you leave it alone! Lately, I've dedicated myself to getting this done. I think my wife wants to have kids! Which means I'll be busy doing other stuff! :roflsmiley:

Offline common 27

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006 - 03:58:28 PM »
 Does US Tools manufacture these? I saw Mancini's Racing has them for 190.00 and was wondering how much from US Tool?I have also welded in the bottom of the rear floor pans could that be a problem if they aren't positioned exactly as original?
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006 - 06:35:41 PM »
I belive the price is the same...I think I paid about $190 or so. I know that John lists them on Ebay.

You WILL have to do some trimming and fitting. But, some work and you'll get it close enough to weld in.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006 - 10:19:10 AM »
OK....here's the final result. Got them welded in, welds ground, and topcoated with Zero Rust. I'm very happy with the result. Once undercoated, they will look totally seamless.

Installation is not easy, especially given that my floorpans were replaced. A lot of trimming and bumping needed in my case. The rotisserie makes this a LOT easier. I can't imagine doing this on my back on a functional car! It can be done, though.

Start by putting the frame connector on a floor jack and moving the connector up into place. Mark areas that need to be trimmed. Try to get the ends well fitted. Expect gaps in the middle.

Once the ends fit nicely, tack weld into place. I had a bit of gap in the middle portions. Have soemone stand on the pans in the car and see how much gap you can get out. Small gaps, say an 1/8" or less, can be filled by the welds. You may have to bump the floor pans down in places to get the gap acceptably small. Weld short sections at a time.

At the rear portion of the connectors, you will have to squeeze the sides together to fit snug against the rear sub-frame. I used a torch to heat up the connectors as needed to get the sides to taper in.

This setup should be very solid.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006 - 09:35:45 PM »
so i'll ask a dumb question; without these aftermarket connectors, the only thing keeping the unibody car from twisting is the floorpans and the roof? :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006 - 06:09:02 AM »
Yes, you are correct!

The factory used 4 torque boxes on hemi and convertable cars.

From what people say, frame connectors make a big difference in handling.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006 - 09:19:34 PM »
as with just about everything there are probably +'s & -'s...whats the down side? stiffer ride? or ?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006 - 09:31:37 PM »
Just so you know, we have been selling correct Torque Boxes for a quite while now (All B&E body cars) and will soon have A-bodies as well.

We just started stocking and offering US Cartools frame connectors so that our customers can have one stop shopping convenience. We sell for the same price as US Cartool sells direct so there's no extra cost to our customers.

:cheers:

www.harmsauto.com

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006 - 10:28:07 PM »
The only down side to sub-frame connectors is extra weight and in some cases, reduced ground clearance, as far as I am concerned.  Otherwise I can see no other down sides.  On the pro side, you get a stronger car with reduced flex.  That minimizes the tendency for the car to loosen and/or fatigue over time.  As far as handling I wouldn't say the car becomes rougher in ride, but instead you get better handling and road feel.  You should also notice that the tendency for a car to rattle over bumps will be reduced.  This is extreamly noticable in cars with t-tops and convertables.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006 - 10:59:55 PM »
Btw, for those of you who might be curious, the US Car Tools E-body Framerail connectors have a shipping wieght of 24 pounds. Not a bad trade off for what you get in added support.