Author Topic: Slotted mags by dealer??  (Read 1886 times)

Offline highspeeddirt

Slotted mags by dealer??
« on: February 04, 2006 - 03:00:11 PM »
My car originally came with ralleye wheels, but has the aluminum slotted mags on it now.  The guy I got it from said that the previous owner before him knew of the car since it was bought new and could only remember those wheels ever being on it.  He said he heard of some dealers changing them out.  Has anyone else heard of this happening?  :dunno:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Slotted mags by dealer??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006 - 06:41:02 PM »
No, I have to believe they are after-market. Other than Rallys, it could have had Magnums, or the plain old steel wheels with hub caps.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006 - 01:22:02 AM »
dealer did offer different incentives & modifications to make a sale , Mr Norms cars were notoriuos for having headers , being properly tuned & other options added , so it is possible 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006 - 03:38:14 PM »
I agree, I know of a Mr. Norms T/A with dealer installed AC, and he would add alarm systems too.

Without paperwork there is no way to prove the mods were done at the dealership though.

Barry

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006 - 03:46:56 PM »
I agree, I know of a Mr. Norms T/A with dealer installed AC, and he would add alarm systems too.

Without paperwork there is no way to prove the mods were done at the dealership though.

Barry

Thanks Barry and Chryco, I was sorta kinda trying to say that, but it didn't quite come out that way.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006 - 04:08:26 PM »
Thanks ya'll!  I'm planning on putting ralleys back on it, I was just curious about it.  The dealership that sold it new was HINSON AUTOMOBILE CO. in Thomaston, GA.  Looked it up, but theres not a HINSON AUTO in Thomaston.  There is a chrysler dealer.  Don't know if its the same one and changed names or not.  I doubt if they would have any records that far back anyway.  :dunno:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006 - 08:09:13 PM »
Ok, here is something else I can't figure out about My "wheel" situation.  My original window sticker shows W21 RALLYE ROAD WHEELS -4- STD. SPARE  My build sheet also shows W21 but the print out from a book I got off these forums shows a W21 to be RALLYE WHEELS  for 1970-1971 and a W22 is RALLYE WHEELS W/TRIM RINGS  (no dates) and my build sheet shows a 24 in wheel cover which is suppose to be a 14" trim ring.  Also, My window sticker shows T22 TIRES-7.35X14 WHITE SIDEWALL. My build sheet shows T22 and the pages show T22 to be 7.35x14 BSW.  I can be pretty sure that I had rallye wheels, only descrepincy being the 1970-1971 dates, but my build sheet shows trim rings, should my window sticker? And if it did have trim rings on rallye wheels, why didn't they just put W22 on the build sheet? Unless the pages from the book are wrong?  On the tires, If white side walls, was that solid white stripes, or white letters?  :pullinghair:

BTW my car is a 72. build date 9/14/71 if that makes any difference? :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006 - 08:11:10 PM by highspeeddirt »

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006 - 10:07:07 AM »
Here's my 2 cents...

I'm making an assumption that the '72 Challengers and Barracudas were optioned the same as far as wheels go as the info I have pertains to '72 Challengers from my own personal original documentation (build date 8/17/71) and the '72 Challenger Illustrated Facts and Feature Manual (Will be refered to as "The Manual") (Supposedly a reprint of an original DaimlerChrysler Corporation Manual, or so says the sticker!).  *** Keep in mind that this is not official gospel, just what I see written in front of me in the Manual and papers I have!

Let' see, where to start...

Wheel options:  For '72, I don't see a W22 code in the Manual.  I see:

Base dogdish style center hubcaps (No code given in Manual.)
W21=Rallye wheel with trim ring
W11 Full wheel cover (Says Dodge x2, not sure what Plymouth had.)
W23 Styled Road Wheel with chrome trim ring (Magnum 500 style)

The W22 code I'm not familiar with but I do see it listed on other sites that offer Mopar option codes.  Was it a '72 code?  Since your car was an early '72 I wouldn't be surprised.  Do they have the '71 (sombrero) or '72 (acorn) style centercaps?

Tires:  According to the Facts Manual, the 7.35 x 14" tire is Polyester, meant for a 225ci or 318ci car, with or without AC.  There is no mention of "whitewalls" or "raised w/letter" next to this size where as other sizes available for that year does have either one of these designations, so it MIGHT be ASSUMED that they were black wall tires, but your window sticker says they were white sidewall.  May be they were upgraded by the dealer? 

The Manual states they were mounted on 4.5J rims.  Those sound like plain steel wheels to me.  I would think Rallyes are wider but then again if the dealer put on white sidewall tires (if they did) then they could have put them on the Rallyes but that would look strange to see Rallyes with white sidewall tires, but not impossible.

I would assume that if your window sticker said "white sidewall tire" it meant a solid white stripe as they might designate RWL meaning Raised White Letters if you had them, as that was the jargin used in the Manual.  Also, the RWL tires I have listed are F70 x 14" bias-belted tires.  Your tire size says polyester while this tire size designates bias ply, if I'm not mistaken.  Just as how a metric size designates a radial tire (ie=P215/70R-14).

I have T-86 on my build sheet and on the dealer invoice it says these are F70-14 WSW tires, assuming the dealer didn't change the tires.  My car originally had the W11 wheel covers.

What size engine did you car have originally?

Like Chryco said, the dealers did stuff to the cars back then so who knows for sure!  I say go with the window sticker as that would most likely show any mods done by the dealer. 

Hope this was helpful!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 - 10:08:48 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006 - 10:45:40 AM »
Thanks,  My cars a numbers matching 318 car.  I don't know if the pages I got cover 72 like yours does.  Sounds like yours is a lot more acurate.  From what my window sticker shows, I'm just gonna assume that it was Ralleyes with white sidewall tires, and with trim rings since thats what my build sheet shows.  I plan on puttting ralleys back on it, and I'm not concerned about the white sidewall, cause I'll have white letters.  I was just curious since it seemed like things didn't jive.  But thanks for all that info, it was helpful and interesting!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 - 10:52:51 AM by highspeeddirt »

Butte, MT

Mike