Author Topic: Picture of Magnums New Question!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Picture of Magnums New Question!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 08, 2006 - 05:21:51 AM »
I am looking for a good clear picture of a 70 Magnum Wheel.  :picture:
Now the dumb A$$ question. What part of the magnum wheel was painted? and what part was chromed? If I restore a set can you re-chrome just sections of the wheel? In looking for a good restorable set or used set what should I look for?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006 - 12:32:36 PM by Tropicalcats »
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline OzCuda

Re: Picture of Magnums
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006 - 06:22:36 PM »
I haven't got a picture handy at the moment but my 70 Barracuda came with the original 14x5.5 Magnums.  It looks to me (see my posted question) that the centres were a lightly polished stainless steel (not chrome) with the recessed areas painted black and also black around the outer edge of the centres that would be behind the dress rings.  Rest of the steel rims was black.  Dress rings were brushed stainless with the outer edge chromed (I v'e just had these polished and unfortunately didn't quite turn out all that well - beware guys that have been in the business 50 years 'cause they can't see properly).  If this doesn't answer your questions, I can try and get some pics soon.
'70 Barracuda

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006 - 12:33:25 AM »
Chrome Road Wheels

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006 - 05:38:26 AM »
Not sure if the Magnums for Challengers and Road Runners are the same for 1970.  I ASSUME they are.

These are pics of the Magnums on my Challenger before and after refinishing them.  They are from a 1970 Road Runner. 

From what I see, the centers look like they are brushed steel.  There may be chrome Magnums from the factory but I'm not sure.  I spoke to a guy that has a GTX and he said the chrome Magnums were used on the late 60s cars then they used a brushed steel with a trim ring but I'm not 100% sure about that.  The Paddock sells both styles.  The side of the rims look painted (not black though, this was done by someone else previously).  I cleaned up the center sections with steel wool then repainted the black inserts with semigloss wheel black. 

Hope this helps!

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006 - 07:37:28 AM »
Eastwood has stencils for painting 15" Magnum 500 wheels (that can be trimed to 14") and the proper Satin Black paint. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=407&itemType=PRODUCT
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:47:33 AM »
Thanks guys.
Supuer Blue Your wheels came out great!!!!

So we have 2 different Magnums available around 1970 for my Challenger. My build sheet  says...............

Wheels

Road              Color            Spare
63                  TX9              16  

Which ones came on my Car?   
SOLD

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006 - 10:18:39 AM »
Just some of the wealth of information that a parts book contains.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006 - 10:58:14 AM »
Just some of the wealth of information that a parts book contains.

Thanks

Which parts book do you have and how can I get one?
SOLD

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006 - 12:31:58 PM »
Are these the Magnums for a 70 Challenger?
Did AMC use the same Magnum wheels
SOLD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Picture of Magnums New Question!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006 - 06:45:12 PM »
Not sure what those are for.  Any part #s?  The center section and spokes have a different texture than the ones I've seen.  I'll have to check around but that looks kinda unique, but not like the Magnums I have.

Yes, AMC used them on the AMXs.  Chevy, I believe, used them for 1 year (1970) on the SS Chevelles and El Caminos, but I think they were 4 3/4" bolt pattern. Also Camaros.  Mustangs and other Ford products (Couger, etc.) used Magnum 500 style also.  I would think there are subtle differences amoung the manufacturers aside from the bolt pattern (I think only GM)  Summit sells several Magnum 500 Styles for different companies.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006 - 06:56:09 PM »
Wheel Vintiques is one of the largest suppliers of repro steel wheels.  There are lots of pics of the various types of rallye and magnum wheels  on their website (Ford/Chevy/Mopar) http://www.wheelvintiques.com/
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006 - 07:05:39 PM »

Yes, AMC used them on the AMXs.  Chevy, I believe, used them for 1 year (1970) on the SS Chevelles and El Caminos, but I think they were 4 3/4" bolt pattern. Also Camaros.  Mustangs and other Ford products (Couger, etc.) used Magnum 500 style also

hey superblue a couger is a mercury!! not a ford lol!  :lol: just kidding buddy! thats my favorite mercury! i would kill to have a mercury couger eleminator 428 scj 4 speed with 410 gears!  :misbehaving:
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006 - 07:22:12 AM »
Yeah, yeah, I get what your sayin'.  It's a Ford product though, sorta.  Momma Ford belched it out.  Oooo, Eliminator eh?  You know your Mercs!   :thumbsup:

Sorry, off topic:
You do model cars right?, if I'm not mistaken from your "Going to the doc" thread.  I have the models, but haven't done them yet, to make a Trans Am race scene from the '70s (Yes, I'm sorta dreaming.  Like those guys with a project car in the barn, "Yep, one day I'll get to it....") 

So far I have a '70 Challenger T/A, a '70 Boss 302 Mustang, '68 Camaro, '68 Firebird, and an Eliminator but not sure what year, I think '70. (That's why I mention the model car stuff....)  If I see an AAR Cuda for a decent price I'll get it.  These are 1:24 scale.

Sorry, back to your regularly schedualed program.....

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006 - 07:08:58 PM »
yea i do models sound like a nice collection.. I was only kidding you about the couger Its all fomoco! Good luck on the 70 aar cuda model iv been trying to buy one for years you can get them on ebay but the prices are crazy! i bid on one my max bid was 50 bucks i thought id win for sure but i got out bid! I think it went for 100 bucks or something  I refuse to pay that much for a 1/24 scale model car! there where 2 on ebay last week both where higher than 40 bucks! if i where you id try to find a resin aar body and hood and use the 71 cuda hardtop buy revell chassie and engine and interior! thats what i did with revs 70 challenger rt se! i could not find a 70 rt se model so i bought the 70 covertable by revell and bought a 70 rt se resin body! it turn out good Ps sorry I havent mail it yet rev!!  :nono: ! as soon as i mail it to rev il have her post some pics of it!! oh yea il try to find the link for the resin model kits if your interested!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!