Author Topic: POR-15 and the undercarriage  (Read 4690 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
POR-15 and the undercarriage
« on: February 08, 2006 - 12:03:40 PM »
My Cuda is a daily driver.  I'm sure the best way to restore it is a rotisserie, but since this isn't an option, here's how I was thinking of doing the undercarriage:

1. Jack the car up and clean the undercarriage with a drill with a wire brush tip.
2. Paint some POR-15 onto it.
3. Spray some black undercarriage spray over the dried POR-15.

I've talked to several people who are diehard POR-15 advocates.  Is this good to go, or what do you suggest?  If this sounds good, where's the cheapest place to buy POR-15?  Thanks.

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
Re: POR-15 and the undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006 - 12:16:57 PM »
I used por-15, but mine was on a lift. Sand blasted bottom, then used the por-15 acid, then 2 coats of por-15 silver, then 2coats por-15 black. Note: por-15 is to go over bare or rusty steel only, not over undercoating.

Problem will be for doing it on jack stands, maybe. The acid treatment needs to be rinsed off, kind of making a mess if you don't have a floor drain.

In the pic, the surface is dusty from sitting in the body shop, otherwise it looks great. The por-15 is super glossy, so if putting something over the top of it will require it to be scuffed with a 3M pad.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006 - 12:21:05 PM »
I love the stuff. I did the floors, trunk and the underside of the shaker hood in gloss black. Nothing is gonna penetrate it. Only thing is.. surface needs to be free of all oils & residues.. completely. Rough up the surface also goes a long way.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006 - 12:51:47 PM »
I walked out of carlisle with a 4 qts of black, a gallon of marine clean and a gallon of metalready for 125.00, it was late in the day and they were starting to take there display down .  The guy there told me I could wait till its slightly tacky and spray right over without scuffing it up, Havent done it yet though. :feedback: He also told me to buy a good quality laquer thinner, mix it about 25% and spray it instead of buying his thinner reducer.
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006 - 12:54:16 PM »
I like it too, as above, you must follow the instructions, it's not like any other paint, I've used there tie coat primer right after, then you can put anything over it (well that you can put over a urathane primer) & it should stick.Rich.

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006 - 01:35:20 PM »
Here's another question...

Looking through supplies at YearOne, I see they have POR-15 Metal Ready PrePrimer, and recommend that this goes on BEFORE POR-15 Paint.  I knew someone else who, I could've sworn, just applied POR-15 Paint directly to the bare metal.  Is the pre-primer a money scam, or really the way to do it?  Thanks.

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006 - 05:05:09 PM »
Metal ready (phosphoric acid and zinc) is the acid cleaner I mentioned above. It etches the smooth metal and neutalizes the rusty metal. This is required before the application of the paint. Put it in a spray bottle and keep the surface damp with it for 15 min, then rinse. A little will go a long way. Its an easy step to do.

They say this will remove rust, which it will, but it will not completly remove rust. Mostly to neutralize the rust, and leave behind a zinc film on the rust.

I ordered from them direct
www.imperialrestoration.com

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006 - 08:18:39 PM »
You can order direct  www.por15.com   
I'm close, ordered online & sometimes had the stuff the next day, ups ground. Rich.

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006 - 08:39:31 PM »
I found some links on how to apply por-15 and figured you guys may find it an interesting read.

This link had a lot of questions answered: You will need a pdf reader
http://www.por15.com/LinkClick.aspx?link=uploads%2FFiles%2FPOR15ApplicationInfo.pdf&tabid=78&mid=525

Faq
http://www.prp-porstore.com/POR-15-FAQ.html
http://www.ppc.au.com/directions.htm

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006 - 07:52:25 AM »
Thanks for all the good feedback and info, the rust on my Cuda's undercarriage and floor pans is about to face a serious attack of POR-15.  You know, it makes you wonder if the way to do body work, for example on the roof, would be to:

1. Blast it down to the metal
2. Paint on some POR-15
3. Bondo the low spots
4. Primer
5. Paint

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006 - 11:58:01 AM »
No, don't use it like that. unless you will be putting a vinyl top on it. I'm assuming you want the top body color. It isn't for exterior surfaces. The por-15 will not accept a heavy coat of primer on top of it. You will need the primer so it can be blocked flat. The por-15 will lift.

Use an acid etch primer over the pits, in this application.