Garage Floor Surface?

Author Topic: Garage Floor Surface?  (Read 5342 times)

Oldschool

Garage Floor Surface?
« on: February 08, 2006 - 05:09:08 PM »
I was wondering if any of you had cleaned and applied any of those liquid garage floor epoxys on your garage floor?  While the Beast is gone, I would like to resurface the garage floor. Any suggestions as to ease of application, expense, and durability of any of these products?  Thanks in advance........      :cooldancing:    ....Oldschool

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Garage Floor Surface?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006 - 05:53:56 PM »
Oldschool,

Have you thought about using the Race Deck system http://www.racedeck.com/.

These look cool, and it a do it yourself project.  Best thing about it IMO, is that you can take it with you if you move. :2cents:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006 - 06:26:30 PM »
I'm doing my floor in the spring with Sherman Willaims hs 1000. little $$$ but good stuff! :thumbsup:

Stay away from the cheap Menards, Lowes ,ect.  that stuff  won't hold up trust me I should know from past projects :banghead:

Just make sure you prep the floor well .....if you don't you will be sorry :2cents:

Good luck Oldschool........

OBH

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006 - 06:53:40 PM »
Just for ideas only, not trying to sell anything but my son does this sort of thing professionaly, here's the link for some ideas. He's going to do something fancy on my garage floor, probably a big ole Mopar emblem or something similar.

www.KyKanCoatings.com

PS, the KyKan comes from two of my grandchildren, Kylee and Kanyon.

This is my son in law's garage floor, there are other examples at the web site.

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006 - 07:22:53 PM »
I used the U-Coat-it Floor product as seen on Speed-TV.  It is holding up great after two years and many spills of oil and antifreeze from motor changes. I actually just finished stripping my cuda with aircraft stripper and what fell on the floor did not even bother it.  Great stuff and realitively easy to apply. Just make sure you add the sand texture mix otheriwse it can get pretty slippery when wet. Hope that helps.
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006 - 07:33:46 PM »
If you want a quick fix you could alway power wash the floor to clean it up and get all the loose stuff out. Then once everything is dry you can epoxy coat the floor and throwdown the little color flakes that dry into the epoxy. The epoxy is usually a solid color and when dry is 2 times stronger that the garage floor. This will probably cost you about 65.00 at Lowes. Look around on their site they have a few different colors and verisons.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=224198-4-50020&lpage=none

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006 - 09:14:50 PM »
Hey JimCuda, do you have any pics of you're floor with the quikrete on it? Do the color flakes come with it or do you buy seperately? Also what about texture, I don't want a floor that is too slippery when it gets wet.

Also, can you buy the black and white checkered flooring at Home Depot/Lowes as well?  I really like that look, but don't want to remortgage my house to have a fancy garage..lol.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006 - 09:25:24 PM »
the previous owner of my house painted my garage floor grey. the leftover paint remained..so i read the label and it says..."don't use on concrete" ! :pullinghair:

what a surprise that it's peeling off. :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006 - 09:27:10 PM »
I actually plan on doing this to my garage floor. I saw the before and after on a home improvement show and thought it was a real nice product for the money. It protects the floor from all the junk that falls on it and doesn't look like plain primer because of the color flakes. I also need to note that this not a paint, it is an epoxy coat and is for concrete floors that haven't been treated with any sealers as of yet.

I spoke to someone at Lowes about it and they say it is really easy to do and is well worth the the cost. I will let you know this spring when I break out the power washer and setup my garage with the stuff.

Here are the instructions:
http://www.jnkproducts.com/images/quikrete/garageinstructions.pdf

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006 - 09:33:23 PM by JimCuda »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006 - 09:41:53 PM »
I was just reading more about it, looks good. However, we don't have a Lowes up here in Canada, and as far as I can see Home Depot doesn't sell it. I'm sure I can buy it off the internet somewhere.

I did a quick search for tiles, but all the black and white tiles I looked at are a thick rubber for about $2/ft2.  Is this the Racedeck stuff 67vertman??

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARAGE-FLOOR-TILES-locking-plastic-lot_W0QQitemZ4437019297QQcategoryZ20604QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure I seen different garages with a simple checkered style flooring.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006 - 10:04:11 PM »
1badfish,

That looks very similar to the Racedeck, and cost about 50 cent a foot less, than I was quoted.  I am just starting to look at doing my floor and really like the looks of the tiles.  They snap in place and don’t require prepping the floor other than sweeping it.

My friend just had his garage professionally epoxy coated, and it looks good but cost a bundle.  I am going over there Friday and will get some pictures.  It was a three-step process 1.  They came out, ground down the surface of the concrete, and filled the cracks. 2. They coated it with the epoxy and let that dry (first coat). 3. They came back, and laid another coat and put down the flakes.

They tell me the tile are resistant to oil, gas, and hold up to 5000lbs per square inch.

Vertman

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006 - 10:52:47 PM »
Here is the stuff I used and it has held up just fine.  And I've dumped just about everything on it!  Oil, trans fluid, gas, rear end lube, kerosene  . . . just wipe it up!  And yes . . Home Depot carries the stuff.  First you use an acid wash to prep the floor and then you mix the 2 liquids  . . .wait 45 minutes and apply.  You can't walk on it for 24 hours and no driving on it for a week.  Here is a link for more info.  You can do the garage for about 100 bucks but I usually got an extra gallon to make sure I had enough! 

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006 - 10:56:15 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006 - 11:29:23 PM »
Hey Thanks 4C and 67, i'll keep this site on hand when I go to do mine. 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline Silver R/T

• Cardomain personal page
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006 - 01:06:18 AM »
Id like to tile mine when I get garage

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006 - 05:50:08 AM »
If you want a quick fix you could alway power wash the floor to clean it up and get all the loose stuff out. Then once everything is dry you can epoxy coat the floor and throwdown the little color flakes that dry into the epoxy. The epoxy is usually a solid color and when dry is 2 times stronger that the garage floor. This will probably cost you about 65.00 at Lowes. Look around on their site they have a few different colors and verisons.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=224198-4-50020&lpage=none

I have use this and this is what I'm putting on my Garage floor and my Basement floor but you got to Remember to add a sand texture to it because it is very slippery