Author Topic: Fastest production car in North America  (Read 4509 times)

Offline 70Challey340

• I'm just Plum Crazy over mopars
Re: Fastest production car in North America
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006 - 09:36:34 AM »
If you read the article on the Super Stock cars, it could be purchased from any Plymouth North American Dealer.  This means that anyone that could fork up the money could go buy one.  It came from hurst with the street tires and low profile oil pan.  Once bought, people that would be racing them would put slicks on and change to the deep pan.  The buyer would have to sign a disclaimer that the car was sold without warranty and didn't meet Federal Vehicle Safety Standards, but this doesn't mean people didn't drive them on the street.

I would say that if you can buy the car directly from a dealer that it should qualify.  It doesn't meet Federal Vehicle Safety Standards, but how many cars of that era did.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 - 10:04:52 AM by 70Challey340 »
1970 Challenger 340

cudahob

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006 - 10:00:21 AM »
If you read the article on the Super Stock cars, it could be purchase from any Plymouth North American Dealer.  This means that anyone that could fork up the money could go buy one.  It cam from hurst with the street tires and low profile oil pan.  Once bought, people that would be racing them with put the slicks on with a deep pan.  The buyer would have to sign a disclaimer that the car was sold without warranty and didn't meet Federal Vehicle Safety Standards, but this doesn't mean people didn't drive it on the street.

I would say that if you can buy the car directly from a dealer that it should qualify.  It doesn't meat Federal Vehicle Safety Standards, but how many cars of that era did.

:iagree:

Good discussion here.

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2006 - 11:06:36 AM »
 My understanding as to the purchasing of the SuperStock cars -  You had to be connected, either a racer with a long and successfull history of running Mopar,  - or - own several dealerships.

The average Shmuck with cash for the asking price could neither order one , nor buy one off the dealer lot.

There's a difference between buying it "through" the dealer and purchasing it" from" the dealer.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Oldschool

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2006 - 12:40:48 PM »
Old School is your car a drag car,exdrag car or pro street? Awesome!

Thanks Common!    :cheers:  It was built by a very successful NHRA Top Fuel Crew Chief and Head Tuner as his personal Street/Strip car.  It is a SS/AA clone car.  It was built with plenty of foundation to run much faster, but de-tuned for streetablity. Nothing was left undone from drivetrain, to bodywork, to suspension.  It is professionally done front to back. It is VERY docile on the street.  I've driven it 30-40 miles at a time on several occasions, with zero problems.  When you hit the throttle, she goes instantly.   :burnout:  I guess it would be considered a Pro Street.  It's very fun to drive.  She has 775 HP on pump gas and 703 lb/ft of torque and weighs 3250 pounds--less driver.  Here are a couple of pics that are a little different from ones that I most frequently post and an ET slip for ya...........     :cooldancing:    ....Oldschool

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 - 02:24:18 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006 - 12:47:03 PM »
man oldschool,you have one bad machine there,i love it..anyways back on topic..

cudahob

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006 - 07:09:12 AM »
Na, lets just drool on some Oldschool pics.  :drool:

man oldschool,you have one bad machine there,i love it..anyways back on topic..

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006 - 07:52:42 AM »
 :grinyes:  :drool:  :drool:

Offline Silver R/T

• Cardomain personal page
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006 - 09:21:21 PM »
I would definitely go with SRT 10 VIper and Ford GT