Author Topic: Fastest production car in North America  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Fastest production car in North America
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:17:26 PM »
Sorry.  I don't believe everything I read.

There is NO way a factory "stock" car ran 10.5!!!!  Not with stock tires!  I'll bet ALL my cars on it.

Sorry guys, think about it.  Small tires and to much horsepower to get down.  Now way you can do it. :grinno:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:22:20 PM »

These cars had bigger than stock tyres on them. If I'm not mistaken they had roll bars, windos that were plastic or something which came up with the seat belt and were not "street" legal. This is what I saw on My Classic car series.

:dunno:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Oldschool

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:27:24 PM »
Sorry.  I don't believe everything I read.

There is NO way a factory "stock" car ran 10.5!!!!  Not with stock tires!  I'll bet ALL my cars on it.

Sorry guys, think about it.  Small tires and to much horsepower to get down.  Now way you can do it. :grinno:

The key to your statement is the word "stock".  Look at the list again.  The top cars are factory SS cars.  "Super Stock".  Although they had the blessings of the factory, they were not actually finished at the factory.  They were subbed out to Hurst to get finished up. They were also never intended to be "street" cars, and thus did not have small tires.  They ran 10"-12" slicks. They also had hopped up 426 Hemi engines that were making an honest 500-600 HP and did in fact run mid 10's @ 130 MPH.    :burnout:  They are still regarded as a factory production cars, though never street legal.  Maybe this clears it up somewhat.....     :cooldancing:   ....Oldschool
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006 - 07:29:38 PM by Oldschool »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:32:26 PM »
Stock cars = Street legal cars excatly how they came from the factory.  NO MODS

Everything else is a tuner car either from the factory or not.

That list is very incomplete if they are comparing turner cars.  The list looked like a lot of "Stock" cars compared to a couple factory race cars.  Apples to Oranges.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:40:33 PM »
I think what Cody was saying that there its hard to belive that they ran 10.5 with polybias tires. Maybe with newer tires, but then it wouldnt be stock. The superstocks shouldnt even be on that list, the cars were not built by Chrysler and they werent even built for the public. No doubt that they are some of the fastest cars around, but if you allow one tuner shop to be on that list then I feel that it is only fair to allow Hennesey or Lingenfelter....they have build more vehicles than Hurst Superstockers.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Oldschool

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:43:06 PM »
Stock cars = Street legal cars excatly how they came from the factory.  NO MODS

Everything else is a tuner car either from the factory or not.

That list is very incomplete if they are comparing turner cars.  The list looked like a lot of "Stock" cars compared to a couple factory race cars.  Apples to Oranges.

Whole bunch of "Modded" cars on that list.  Seleens, Mclaren modded Benzes, AMG modded Benzes, 64 Ford "T" Bolt,Shelby's, SVT's  etc.........  Lotsa apples AND oranges.    :cheers:    :cooldancing:   ...Oldschool

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006 - 07:50:01 PM »
Whole bunch of "Modded" cars on that list.  Seleens, Mclaren modded Benzes, AMG modded Benzes, 64 Ford "T" Bolt,Shelby's, SVT's  etc.........  Lotsa apples AND oranges.    :cheers:    :cooldancing:   ...Oldschool

The AMGs and SVTs belong on that list because they are truly built by their manufacturer and are sold to the public. The McLaren is in the grey because it was a joint venture by two manufacturers. The way I feel about it is if the car was sold to the public exactly the way it left the manufacturers assembly line then it is a production vehicle. If the car was sent to a tuner shop to receive upgrades it is no longer a production vehicle. So the Saleen mustangs, Roushs, Hennesseys, Heffners, RSIs, and Lingenfelters should be omitted.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006 - 08:45:38 PM »
The AMGs and SVTs belong on that list because they are truly built by their manufacturer and are sold to the public. The McLaren is in the grey because it was a joint venture by two manufacturers. The way I feel about it is if the car was sold to the public exactly the way it left the manufacturers assembly line then it is a production vehicle. If the car was sent to a tuner shop to receive upgrades it is no longer a production vehicle. So the Saleen mustangs, Roushs, Hennesseys, Heffners, RSIs, and Lingenfelters should be omitted.
:iagree:

Oldschool

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006 - 08:58:44 PM »
If the car was sent to a tuner shop to receive upgrades it is no longer a production vehicle. So the Saleen mustangs, Roushs, Hennesseys, Heffners, RSIs, and Lingenfelters should be omitted.

But alas, we did not compile this list.  IF the Saleens et al, ARE going to be included on this list, then so should the factory SS cars.  There are as many different "supposedly" official lists of the fastest cars as there are cars.  Every list has different cars ranked differently. It depends on who's list you are viewing.  It just so happens that the owner of this list chose to include these cars.  If 10 randomly selected folks on this board were tasked with compiling a similar list, you would have 10 different lists of cars and their rankings.  To each his own about what cars belong on what list and who's research you want to believe concerning performance.  The bottom line is this---the owner of THIS list included the cars HE thought belonged on the list, and posted times accordingly.     :cheers:    :cooldancing:   ....Oldschool
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 - 12:27:32 PM by Oldschool »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006 - 09:01:51 PM »
The comp coupe has been out for years and it's not on the list?  It a Dodge too!

cudahob

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006 - 07:10:20 AM »
The quest is for production cars, not "stock" cars. S/S Cuda was a production factory race car. Out of the factory they had only pizza cutters, because the racers would change them later. Not talking about street legal cars either.

The car was so light and so powerful, they needed the big slicks, or they would probably do 14s. What a joke that would be.

Your way off base, this is about the quickest car not the tires.

By far the scariest ride you would ever have in an automobile.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 - 07:44:05 AM by cudahob »

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:15:51 AM »
 Koenigsegg CCR
 Pagini Zonda
 Mosler MTS

I'm thinking one of these three.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline common 27

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:55:24 AM »
I haven't looked at the list yet but when my son was in school he did a paper on this and the fastest car was a 1965 Cobra with a 427 I believe.Claimed it would go from 0 to 100 back to 0 in 6 seconds.I'll go look at the list now
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:59:02 AM »
Anyone know how much the Barracuda SS weighed in at?

I could never understand why so many people get hung up on the worlds fastest stock car. I say what ever, no matter how kewl your car is, there is always someone faster! Guess what, once you have had someone pull away from you once, you will be updating something on your car.

Unless you have had one of these cars from day one in a garage and has never had anything done to them, they are no longer stock. Having something completely stock from the factory is great for some. However, even those guys always seem to find their way to a over sized cam, maybe even some head work or something as simple as a high flow air cleaner. Why you ask? So their stock factory car goes just a little faster than the next guy with the same stock >looking< car.

I say what ever to the "hay that car isn't stock" and bring on the mods~!!!   :working:

Offline common 27

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006 - 09:02:42 AM »
Well i got spanked on that one! They sold a 68 S/S Dart on Barret/Jackson for 300,000 .Only 50 made I wonder how many are still around? Old School is your car a drag car,exdrag car or pro street? Awesome!
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible