Author Topic: REPLACING A QUARTER PANEL SKIN  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Pipefish

REPLACING A QUARTER PANEL SKIN
« on: February 10, 2006 - 10:57:06 AM »
Here is how I replaced my quarter panel skin.The first thing I'd like to say is that if I had to do it all over again I would put the full oem style quarters on. The first thing you'll need to do is determine how much of the quarter you'll need to replace .........On my car the quarters were completely rusted out,so I put most of the skin on.I put a piece of 3/4 inch masking tape right on the top ridge to get a good straight cut ,I did the same thing  on the new quarter execpt I moved the tape up 1/2 inch to allow for the crimping of the new quarter.The next thing was to tack a 2 inch strip of metal on the back of the  front edge of the original quarter.( I did this because I didn't like the way the new quarter was fitting up to the door,so I cut about an inch off the front of the new panel)The next thing was to test fit the panel and make sure ever thing matched up,and once I got everthing the way I wanted I pulled the quarter back off.The next thing I did was shoot some epoxy primer on all my inner structure, and grind the edges and applied weld through primer on all the edges.Now were ready to put the quarter on for the last time.Set your quarter back on the car and tack weld each end,make sure you have your door on the car so you can check your door gaps and body lines.once these are all in place you can start spot welding it inplace,dont get in a hurry or you will warp the heck out of it .Spot weld ever few inches and let it cool down, spot weld every few inches and let it cool  down, you get the picture. I hope this helps out ,I might mention that if your puting on left and right quarters at the same time you'll need to test fit your rear valance panel.

Offline Pipefish

Re: REPLACING A QUARTER PANEL SKIN
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006 - 11:01:27 AM »
I should have put this in the body shop section,Sorry

Offline lemurfart

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006 - 11:06:36 AM »
very nice work
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006 - 11:10:15 AM »
WOW - just like a pro.. wish i could do work like that..

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006 - 11:49:55 AM »
Excellant!  I put the crimp/flange on the old metal,along the top, any future concerns I should have? Rich.

Offline Pipefish

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006 - 12:38:47 PM »
Hey Rusty
 Just make sure you keep your body lines straight.

Swedefish

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006 - 04:07:27 PM »
Great work pipefish.
It`s looking very nice, sooo clean
 :cheers:

Offline common 27

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006 - 05:03:26 PM »
Looks like you did an excellent job !!! Did the seam that was welded warp much? Also what welder did you use ?I've been looking and think I'm going with a Miller 175 although I have used a 135 that worked very well too.
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline Pipefish

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006 - 05:33:27 PM »
I'm not sure what model number my welder is
I know its a miller 110 volt .I had some slight warping in a few spots,but they wern't that bad.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006 - 05:57:53 PM »
Pipefish, you did an awesome job with the quarter panel replacements!!!!!  It all looks great and was done properly.  I had my quarters replaced below the body line on my Chall and I believe he did a similar technique.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006 - 02:53:15 PM »
Great job!  Keep posting pictures!! I'm learning a lot :woohoo:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006 - 05:31:15 PM »
Very nice work!  :cheers:  :drool:

Oldschool

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006 - 05:35:10 PM »
Cool!  This is like taking an online body shop class.  Great job Pipefish!    :cooldancing:   ...Oldschool

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:08:10 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna show my ignorance, but.....  Exlplain what your talking about "crimp"  or "flange" please.  :dunno:  I'll be doing this with mine.  (unless the "FULL" quarters finally come out before I tackle it)  Thanks for the info so far, just like CODY, I'm learning a lot!  :thumbsup:  :popcorn:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006 - 08:25:44 PM »
Glad you asked...   

Ok, I'm gonna show my ignorance, but.....  Exlplain what your talking about "crimp"  or "flange" please.  :dunno:  I'll be doing this with mine.  (unless the "FULL" quarters finally come out before I tackle it)  Thanks for the info so far, just like CODY, I'm learning a lot!  :thumbsup:  :popcorn:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.