Author Topic: Dash Pad removal  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Dash Pad removal
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007 - 01:42:00 PM »
You also have to remove 2 screws in each of the defroster vents.

I thought that the two screws in the defroster vent were holding the dash to the firewall and not the pad to the frame.  :dunno:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007 - 02:49:05 PM »
I've taken mine out without removing the frame. I never touched my defroster vents. The only real pain is the nut that is parked between them. At this point, I just lifted up on each end of the dashpad, and yanked and twisted it until that nut gave it up. At this point I was laying in the back seat with the dashpad in my hands. I only wish someone was taking a video of me.  :lol: You need to disconnect your battery and remove the gauges first. Then the ashtray assembly. Then take out the glove box liner. There are also  screws on each end of the dashpad too.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007 - 09:12:19 AM »
I thought that the two screws in the defroster vent were holding the dash to the firewall and not the pad to the frame.  :dunno:
You could be right, it's been several years since I took mine out, but then I've always done things the hard way! :banghead:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007 - 11:42:31 AM »
Having just put my dash back in.......... again, I can say for sure, that the 4 bolts near the defroster vents are for holding the dash frame to the firewall, not the pad to the frame. One thing to keep in mind though is that, in addition to taking out, or dropping down the steering column, it will make things easier if you actually remove the threaded studs that are used to hold the column up. The studs are just threaded rods, 1/4 x 20 x about 4 inches I think, and with them removed, all you have to do is allow the dash to swivel downward/inward (after removing the upper bolts) on the lower side bolts. You don't have to take out the lower side bolts and in fact, it's much easier if you don't. Just loosen them up.  With the column studs in place, I had to remove the left side , lower bolt to allow the dash to go over the column studs, then move it up again once I got it into the right position. After getting the dash over the studs, I had to fight it back into place, then try to restart the lower bolt. To reinstall, without the studs in the way, just rest the lower dash brackets on the lower bolts, pivot up and then fight the upper bolts in place. Real easy to screw the column studs back in their holes after all that.
One final thought.............. have a flexible magnetic pick up tool handy for when you (and you probably will) drop at least one of the upper bolts while trying  to reinstall them. My fumbly fingers just didn't want to allow me to work in a tight space without a few choice words and some contortions of my body to try to recover the upper bolts before they were lost in the confines of the area between the dash frame and pad.
All in all, I have to finish this by saying that I am REALLY glad that my dash is now in............. for the last time. What a pain in the @#$ that whole mess was.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007 - 10:56:51 PM »
It looks like I am a little late with this, but maybe it will help others that still need to do it;

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007 - 11:10:19 AM »
Thanks Barry!   I need to do this as well,This post has answered many questions!  Sounds like some patience is needed here. My windshield is very scratched from cleaning(very light,but plentiful) can these light scratches be polished out? Or should I pull the windshield/replace the dash pad at the same time?       Good luck man! let us know how it goes!!
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007 - 11:24:57 PM »
 If you tilt it back like that do you think the gauge cluster , glove box, ect. would still have to come out ?
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007 - 02:32:16 PM »
 I found no need to remove the guage cluster or glove box until I got the dash totally out. Again, 4  bolts at the top, pull the retaining studs out of the steering column support, loosen the 2 bottom bolts and let it rotate down into your lap. And it is easier to remove the dash trim while the dash is off. Be careful though, that you don't break the trim while you move the dash around
 Oops, forgot the other various things, heat control cable, speedometer cable, vacuam line cluster (A/C car) and wiring block have to come off to fully pull it out. Also have to pull the wires off of the dome light switches and the console (if you have a console) light. There may be a couple of other small things, but I can't think of them right now...........