Author Topic: Dash Pad removal  (Read 7179 times)

Offline dawgs 73

Dash Pad removal
« on: February 10, 2006 - 02:07:20 PM »
I bought a Just Dashes pad for my 73 Cuda. I will be removing the old and installing the new pad with the windshield in place. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove and replace the dash, then the pad? By the way, I know it would be easier to do this without the windshield, but that is not an option at this point so I have to go this route.
Thanks

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Dash Pad removal
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006 - 03:01:01 PM »
My opinion would be to pull the dash and replace it out on the work bench!   :worshippy

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006 - 04:44:50 PM »
The bolts in the front vents under the window are nasty to get out, but it can be done, swivel joint on the socket to break it loose, then anything goes(I tried a nut driver on one of those spring shafts) broke one, but finally got em out, I think you have to drop the steering colum too, have fun! Rich.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006 - 05:05:11 PM »
Your gauges have to come out(disconnect the battery first), then the glove box liner, and the ashtray assembly. They are all 3/8 inch speed nuts.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006 - 06:00:36 PM »
I think that this sounds a like a really ugly job. I am planning on pulling the whole dash out, taking it into my much warmer basement and installing the new dash pad. Only problem is that my wife will be home and able to hear me cussing and hollering for this, so I'll probably get grief from that as well.

Am I to assume that the instrument cluster has to come out before I pull the dash? Or can I just pull it out still in the dash? I'm not concerned about adding time to the job, just want to do it right and without damaging anything in the process.

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006 - 10:15:17 PM »
Its not that bad of a job.  I did it on my challenger in a day.  you have to take off the A pillar trim, take out the glove box, radio, light bar, and ash tray.  I didnt need to  take out my gauges.  I did because I wanted to clean them, but just taking off the light bar seemed to work.  To get to a lot of the nuts I used a real flat open ended wrench or a 1/4 inch socket on a long extension.  The job is a pain, but definately doable.  If you do take out the whole dash a plus side is u can sand and paint all under there since I know my car had a lot of surface rust there that I never got to.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006 - 04:34:12 AM »
dawgs 73,

If you are removing the complete dash frame, then no, the gauges don't have to come out. I thought you were talking about removing just the dashpad.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006 - 06:26:49 AM »
mine came out pretty easy. Had to drop the steering wheel, remove the two bolts on each end at the lower side and the 4 bolts in the vents. I went ahead and gutted the underside removing the glovebox, ashtray, AC plenum, guages and switch panel.

FYI, you will need to remove the guage cluster out to loosen the large wire harness just behind the guages. Unless you want to pull the wiring with it, in which case you would need to remove the firewall plug.

All things considered the removal isnt too bad but all the little things will drive you batty. While you have it out you may want to consider refinshing it. Theres isnt very much exposed surface to finish and its a simple task. Good luck with it 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006 - 12:06:03 PM »
Thanks all.......... Appreciate the help and will get to work here in a bit

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006 - 10:31:33 PM »
I use a flex extension to get the dash vent bolts , your girlfriend or kids can be a big help in reinstalling the vent bolts , my hands definatly will not fit in there !! 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006 - 02:05:18 PM »
Dawgs,

You bought a dash or had yours restored? 

Dan

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006 - 06:51:18 PM »
   When I ordered my dash pad, I didn't have access to my car to remove my old core. I bought mine, using their core. Cost me an extra $200, but that will be refunded on my sending my old one back to them. So, I guess I bought a new one, but did that to have mine restored.
I hope that makes sense.................

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:44:28 PM »
I've been searching and I see a few post saying you can remove the dash pad without taking the whole dash out, anyone know the steps you take to do that? pulling the whole dash looks like an oh my god amount of head ache but is it really the best way?
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007 - 10:09:06 PM »
The pad is held on by 11 nuts in various locations (may have missed one or two that I can't see in the pics). I have a A/C dash with threes speakers so it might be slightly different. I'm not saying that it can't be done but I think it would be very frustrating. Some of the nuts on mine were bhind A/C vents others behind the guages.

Here are some pics of the various locations of the studs that the nuts go on.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:20:00 AM »
You also have to remove 2 screws in each of the defroster vents.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda