Author Topic: Gear Question (4:10's or 3:55's)  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Gear Question (4:10's or 3:55's)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006 - 06:09:43 PM »
Good to hear you took my advice!   

:roflsmiley:        :cheers:

Seriously, i think you made a wise choice.

Good compromise gear ratio for your application.

LMAO!!! Soooooo sorry Hemi71!!!! I forgot about your post or when I viewed it took it into my mind but was so caught up in 3:55's vs 4:10s. You knew it all a long eh! I should just ask you next time. lol

Thanks mate I know I will be happy.
From 2:76 gears to 3:91's is a MAJOR step a really HUGE difference, Gear and a 1/4 upgrade!!!

Hopalong - Thanks for your input mate, I'll see how Lucy handles and if there is any flex or strain going on that I can tell of. Also, with this G-Tech Pro RR I ordered I will be able to see what kind of hp I am making.

Evil72 - Thanks mate, I can't wait 3:91's are bang on IMO for my application.
Not too much gear (overkill) and not too little (killing it).

Can't wait. Got some good goodies on the way. G-Tech, TransGo TF2 kit, Gear Vendors....
Lucy is in for one hell of a wake up call..............

Cheers guys for ALL your input,
Carl

:wave:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006 - 06:12:01 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HOTCUDA

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:30:34 PM »
Hey Guys,
               Im a rookie..do can someone tell me what a GV unit is and how it can help me? I have really low gears....example...when doing 65mph my rpm's are in the low 4000's . I have a nice launch but highway driving is insane. How can I identify what gears I have and how to llower my rpms on the highway.  Thanks   AL

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:37:03 PM »
Hey Guys,
               Im a rookie..do can someone tell me what a GV unit is and how it can help me? I have really low gears....example...when doing 65mph my rpm's are in the low 4000's . I have a nice launch but highway driving is insane. How can I identify what gears I have and how to llower my rpms on the highway.  Thanks   AL

Sounds to me like you have 4.11's there as that is about where I use to run when I had them!   :thumbsup:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:54:01 PM »
 What size are your rear tires? If you go with taller rear tire like a 275/60/15 which has a 28" diameter. That should lower your rpms a little.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:17:08 PM »
Hey Guys,
               Im a rookie..do can someone tell me what a GV unit is and how it can help me?

Here's some info on the GV unit - http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=20500.0

To work out how it can effect your rpms use this simply formula:

Rear gear x 0.78 = Over Drive ratio eg: 3.91 x 0.78 = 3:05 gears

In your case with 4:10s you would have an overdirve ratio of 3.20:1.

:thumbsup:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:54:07 PM »
Carl, I would use the 3:55s Most of my driving is above 80 now and the launch with a 440  will spin your tires even more with anything steeper. Your gas milage will suffer.   I can roast my tires off now and my engine combo isn't anything wild. (284-484 Purple cam)

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2006 - 05:56:22 PM »
Hey NZ,

Sorry if i've missed any previous posts but have you got this GV going yet? I'm keen to see what your comments are on it as i'm looking at getting one also.

Cheers!  :cheers:
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2006 - 08:06:17 PM »
Hey NZ,

Sorry if i've missed any previous posts but have you got this GV going yet? I'm keen to see what your comments are on it as i'm looking at getting one also.

Cheers!  :cheers:

Hey mate, yes we have...."sought" of.....

I know enough now on how the system works, everything but hitting the 6 gears under 100% full throttle.
We went trough the gears around 70% to get a feel for it. The autoshift sequencer is faulty and has been returned back to GV's. The autoshift sequencer reads from the rpms unlike the stock unit reading from the speedo.

The autoshift unit was reading the rpms all wrong, I would hit the OD button and if I drop more than 3mph it would kick out, even at speeds of 55mph+ anywhere, 32mph, 47mph if I dropped 2-3mph it would kick out.
So it wasn't reading the rpms correctly and was very inconsistent. This is just a factory fault and was express shipped to GV's in 48 hours to fix and be returned. We didn't want to start going through full 100% tests when the car could kick out of OD anytime....eg: doing 6,000rpm in 2nd-Over and the OD kicks out and we go into 2nd and the rpms go into the high teens.....not good. lol So we are waiting on them to check it and fix the problem then install it and re-test the car. They think it's missing aN average chip for rpms.....we'll see.

As for how it works.....A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!!!!! It will only get better too as it's going to take a little time to get those gears and shift points bang on but once I get it on target it will be real good!

I'll post a thread once the system has been totally finished along with my cars other little resto touch ups.
Parts on back order have been the major hold up.......

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006 - 05:09:19 AM »
RPM reading huh..  I've got a MSD but i'm assuming it'll be compatible as they boast muscle/race car use.

Did you get a chance to see what RPM you were doing at 60mph? I'd be interested to see how accurate the calculators are.

I'll probably run 3.73 gears behind my 340, just to get the revs down that tiny bit more for fuel savings. According to the calculators, i'd be doing around 2200rpm at 60mph so i'm assuming i'd only be able to run a 2000rpm stall converter otherwise it would slip n fry on the highway?

Also, how much did shipping to NZ cost? Guessing it'll be similar to Australia.

I'm glad you like it!  :ylsuper:
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006 - 06:11:37 AM »
RPM reading huh..  I've got a MSD but i'm assuming it'll be compatible as they boast muscle/race car use.

Did you get a chance to see what RPM you were doing at 60mph? I'd be interested to see how accurate the calculators are.

I'll probably run 3.73 gears behind my 340, just to get the revs down that tiny bit more for fuel savings. According to the calculators, i'd be doing around 2200rpm at 60mph so i'm assuming i'd only be able to run a 2000rpm stall converter otherwise it would slip n fry on the highway?

Also, how much did shipping to NZ cost? Guessing it'll be similar to Australia.
I'm glad you like it!  :ylsuper:

You should be fine with the MSD system. The whole Autoshift sequencer module is very new.
I'm the only one with it down under and one of the few worldwide.
They couldn't believe when I called up that one of their systems were in New Zealand.

With 3:91's and an over drive of 3:05 I was running exactly what I calculated, 2200rpms. It was spot on.  :thumbsup:
Shipping to New Zealand was around $200-$300 USD EXPRESS. Not bad really......it was packed really well too.

Definitely worth it my friend......they say it makes the Kiesler manual system look like it's for kids.
It's faster, cheaper and more fun..........

You get 4 different drive selections:

- Your standard stock [1], [2], [D] gears: To engage, select Drive.

- 6 forward ratios (From 1st to 3rd-Over): To engage, select 1st.

- Autolaunch: To engage, drive in 1st and click the OD switch as soon as you hit the throttle, the 1st-O is done automatically. This is good for drag racing or getting on the highway to allow the driver two hand wheel control.

- OD: To engage, Select [D] and drive as normal and when ever you want OD just hit the switch, once it's it kicks out you have to engage it again, it does not come on automatically. OD comes on at any speed over a pre-set factory 26mph and the car must be in it's final drive (3rd/[D]).

With 3:73 gears you'd be cruising at 2,100rpm in OD (2.91 gears) at 60mph. So your converter should be fine.
If you do get it definitely go for the $450 extra cost option of the Autoshift sequencer module unit.

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006 - 08:01:42 AM »

Definitely worth it my friend......they say it makes the Kiesler manual system look like it's for kids.
It's faster, cheaper and more fun..........

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T
Carl, When we talk muscle cars, IMO the manual tranny adds about $2k USD to an e-body. When I see a pistol grip in a fully  optioned car, it completes it. When you put it in 3rd gear, you know it's in 3rd gear, not 3rd gear high or 3rd gear low. Glad you like it but It sounds like that controller is alot of work.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006 - 08:40:12 AM »
Carl, When we talk muscle cars, IMO the manual tranny adds about $2k USD to an e-body. When I see a pistol grip in a fully  optioned car, it completes it. When you put it in 3rd gear, you know it's in 3rd gear, not 3rd gear high or 3rd gear low. Glad you like it but It sounds like that controller is alot of work.

Rob

Thanks Rob for your input. Sure it adds money, less were made making it more desirable.
3rd gear high or low...lol It's either 2nd-Over or 4th what ever you want to call it......
There's always something you have to pick against eh.....if it's not something you like, then it's not good.  ::)

I love autos and am a fully auto man, these aren't 1.8L Honda sloppy trans. TorqueFlites were built with one thing and one thing only in mind - performance, leaving comfort and driveability at the factory doors.
IMO I'd rather have a performance/worked auto over a manual trans, straight line speed & cruising.
But, that's just me.....Yes, we're talking muscle cars that's why autos do so well......

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2006 - 09:32:08 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like Autos. I've had my share of auto e-bodies and have a '74 Chall now with a 727 in it. I also only used autos in my race cars for the stall converters and trans brakes.  But I collect 4-speed stuff at swap meets to put together 4 speed e-bodies.   I think that comment about the Keisler being a kiddy toy could have only come from one place; the Gearvendor's sales guys.

I love the fact too, that you can just push the throttle to the floor and all hell breaks loose, till you decide to let off.
(remember I build my own trannys)

Not to hijak;  IMO 3:55s for a big block, 3:91s for a small block. (I never saw any 3:73)

Rob
Rob

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2006 - 09:33:55 AM »

Sweet.

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2006 - 05:29:26 PM »
Next question NZ!

What size stall converter are you running?
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP