Auto-Body School

Author Topic: Auto-Body School  (Read 1892 times)

Offline ExCloud

Auto-Body School
« on: February 10, 2006 - 10:39:39 PM »
Anyone know how many years it takes and about the price to go?

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: Auto-Body School
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006 - 11:45:10 PM »
My sister's ex went to autobody school, it took him 18 months full-time and he had already been doing bodywork for over 5 years. I will tell you that he said it was the biggest mistake of his life. Not only did it cost a lot (dont know exact amount but I do know he owed 18k in loans) but after he was done with school he couldnt find a shop that would pay decent wages to someone young. Not trying to discourage you but general autobody isnt for everyone, it can have adverse affects on you health and untill you become reputable you will work long and hard.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline ExCloud

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006 - 12:10:17 AM »
I mainly want to learn it for myself not to work someplace with it.  I really love workign with cars and wish I knew how to restore them

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006 - 01:53:18 AM »
I definitely have to agree with Killer_Mopar on this one.  I knew a couple guys who all went off to Wyo Tech for automotive-related courses. (general autobody/refinishing and hot rod building)  Upon graduation, neither of them could find, or even find now, a good-paying job just to begin paying off the HUGE tuition fees involved with such a school.  I've also had a friend who went to just your typical technical college, did some work, managed to get into the national rankings for his age (#2 in the nation), and is now starting jobs out of his garage. (which at the rate he's going will soon be his own striving business.)  Granted, he took all the automotive bodywork courses the schools in our area offered, but didn't have to go off to some expensive school to learn the stuff he already was taught at the smaller institutions.  Hopefully this gives you some ideas as to what you may do. :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006 - 03:53:01 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize that it was that hard to get into the auto body work.

I don't know if this is a good route to follow but there are lots of books out on auto body repair, even Hot Rod puts out a paint and body special.  Why not just try it out on a car that you have or get a rusty car or even a potential project car and just start to do it?  That's how I learned.  Get the basics and start practicing.  Just my 2 cents.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006 - 07:52:37 AM »
save your money and find a good bodyman that is willing to teach you what he knows.most of the people i learned from were more than willing to teach a young guy that really wanted to learn.Just one piece of advice lots of shops work the new car market (insurance claims) that wont be much help in learning how to restore cars.but i know a few guys that work on the side at home these would be your best chance to learn from.good luck whatever way you decide to go with this.

Offline ExCloud

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006 - 10:10:34 AM »
i have my project already :) its a old Dodge beach Wagon :)  I kno how to sand a car and take out small dents its the welding of new metals I am not to good at.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006 - 02:27:38 PM »
a friend was a little gun shy with the welder.had him practice on some old fenders now hes ready to start the floors in his 77 bandit style trans am.

Offline ExCloud

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006 - 02:54:19 PM »
So you think practice welding on fenders etc might help me to know a little more about welding?  Every time i try to heat a fencer up I end up burning a hole in it :( i suck with it!

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006 - 10:40:53 PM »
Check your local community colleges, some offer an auto body repair class.
Also, check with the local auto repair places and ask them about classes.

I took two years of auto body repair at night school (San Bernardino Community College).  Great instructor and you use their tools and can work on your own car or befriend someone and help work on theirs.  They also taught basic welding and leading.

I’ve been think about going back and taking a refresher course.

Good luck.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline moparguy01

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006 - 12:50:15 AM »
going to an autobody school doesnt mean you'll get a high paying job. well most body guys i know dont make alot of money unless they start their own shop.

I went to McPherson College and got a degree in auto restoration technology. right now i'm working at a shop doing restoration and hot rods, but the pay isnt that great. i figure at the current rate im going, it'll make roughly oh 30 years to pay off my school. for 2 years. so im in school right now trying something else to maybe make me enough money that i can afford to work on my own stuff, and some jobs on the side.

its a tough field to get into. and even tougher to make a living at it. one thing for sure you'll never get rich doing bodywork.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006 - 05:21:47 AM »
Welding and basic bodywork skills just take practice once you know the general techniques.Buy a few books or take a night school course in welding or auto body instead of a full blown tech college and just practice,practice,practice.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006 - 09:29:32 AM »
Welding and basic bodywork skills just take practice once you know the general techniques.Buy a few books or take a night school course in welding or auto body instead of a full blown tech college and just practice,practice,practice.
:iagree: welding is 10 percent technique and 90 percent practice. im a sheetmetal worker and a welder, and i never went to school for either, unless you include the school of hard knocks. lol but the school of hard knocks IMO is the best way to learn. you learn from experienced people and a good teacher will teach you the correct way then teach the shortcuts that make it easier.
70 Barracuda

Offline Silver R/T

• Cardomain personal page
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006 - 09:04:07 PM »
I went through local community college. Course was about 2 years (summers off) Tuition was like $600-$900 per quarter. Then you had to buy tools needed, and a textbook. Its not worth it for someone just starting it, imo. Most shops want you to have experience working in production shops for at least 5 years. So even if you get a job somwhere, you wont be making much at all.

Offline ExCloud

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006 - 09:50:35 PM »
Does anyone have any good books to refrence me to?