Author Topic: Anyone use these Intake manifold gaskets?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline EVIL72

Anyone use these Intake manifold gaskets?
« on: February 11, 2006 - 10:58:42 PM »
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=18035&parentCategoryId=10199&langId=-1
They say they make more horsepower, more torque, better throttle response, and 10%-15% more fuel economy.
Are these worth getting? Is there a bad side to using these?
 I'll be using these with an Edelbrock Air Gap RPM if they're the real deal.
 Thanks for any input.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Oldschool

Re: Anyone use these Intake manifold gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006 - 11:13:38 PM »
Evil,

I can't speak to these particular gaskets, but I CAN relay some similar info from back in the day.  There were similar devices available back in the muscle car heyday that were tiny screens that mounted under the carb.  They made exactly these same claims.  More HP, more torque, and better MPG.  Here is what REALLY ended up happening.  The devices MIGHT have made a tiny difference at the very lower end of the rpm spectrum, but they absolutely killed the overall flow going into the engine at mid to high rpm.  Also there were pieces of the devices that would eventually separate from the frame and get into the combustion chambers.  Usually blew out the exhaust without incident, but I don't want junk like that getting into my engine. Bottom line,  folks spend a lot of time and money getting optimal flow velocity for their application.  These devices end up impeding that flow you worked so hard to attain. Especially as the rpm climb higher.  Ended up killing overall high performance.  Might work A LITTE BIT in a tow vehicle or something.  As for helping a high perfomance street engine like yours, I say it is just another gimmick that doesn't work as well as regular intake gaskets. Just my 0.02.      :cooldancing:    ...Oldschool
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006 - 09:15:36 AM by Oldschool »

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006 - 11:32:40 PM »
 Thanks OS that's kinda what I was wondering about.
ROB

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006 - 12:13:16 AM »
I made some for my truck engine , didn`t seem to make much difference & I hate junk going through my engine , of course the good part is it keeps some junk from getting into the engine if you run without an air cleaner , which is a bad idea

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006 - 07:18:59 AM »
Evil,

I can't speak to these perticular gaskets, but I CAN relay some similar info from back in the day.  There were similar devices available back in the muscle car heyday that were tiny screens that mounted under the carb.  They made exactly these same claims.  More HP, more torque, and better MPG.  Here is what REALLY ended up happening.  The devices MIGHT have made a tiny difference at the very lower end of the rpm spectrum, but they absolutely killed the overall flow going into the engine at mid to high rpm.  Also there were pieces of the devices that would eventually separate from the frame and get into the combustion chambers.  Usually blew out the exhaust without incident, but I don't want junk like that getting into my engine. Bottom line,  folks spend a lot of time and money getting optimal flow velocity for their application.  These devices end up impeding that flow you worked so hard to attain. Especially as the rpm climb higher.  Ended up killing overall high performance.  Might work A LITTE BIT in a tow vehicle or something.  As for helping a high perfomance street engine like yours, I say it is just another gimmick that doesn't work as well as regular intake gaskets. Just my 0.02.      :cooldancing:    ...Oldschool
:iagree:
I understand the theory behind it, but I also think of it being at least a little restrictive, and why would someone want ported and polished heads, then put these on em?  :dunno: I could be out in left field, but thats just my  :2cents:

HSD  :cheers:

Butte, MT

Mike

kudakidd

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006 - 10:42:48 AM »
All they do is to create more turbulence.. :nono: Forget them.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006 - 10:51:41 AM »
The add makes them sound fantastic, but I have to agree with the others on this one , I spent about $4500 on my 440  and the last thing I want is to loose it to a    my-nute  piece of debris entering my combustion chamber, possibly damaging a valve, seat, or even piston top. $ 4500 don't sound like a lot, but I'ze po folk and its quite a bit of hard earned cash for myself !I'll stick with the stock gaskets !   :undercar:
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline matt63

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006 - 10:41:27 PM »
I ran into a guy who had a flow bench and was doing some testing on combustion chamber swirl (too much/too little).  I think that the newer heads with the quench designs already realize the benefits of proper swirl velocity, fuel atomization, etc.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006 - 10:54:44 PM »
evil, when can we see a pic of the duster? :popcorn:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006 - 01:18:09 AM »
  Thanks for the input guys, glad I didn't waste my cash.

Believe me Chevyconvert it's got a long way to go, it's very rusty, dusty, and missing a firewall due to the previous owner deciding to cut up an original 1970 340 Duster...sigh
 It still needs to be backhalfed to fit the Fred Flinstone tires which are taking up half of my shelf space.
 I'll get some pics of the Duster as soon as I find it in my garage LOL
 Somewhere I have some pics of when I first got it home.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006 - 01:29:20 AM by EVIL72 »
ROB

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006 - 11:09:14 AM »
I was suckered into trying them.  Had bolt alignment issues with the intake because of the gasket thickness.  Ended up stripping a bolt and trashing one gasket.  Never got to run them.  IMO they're junk.  Don't waste your money.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline plumkrzy3

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006 - 10:38:50 AM »
I have never used them in a Mopar application but I did try them in my 67 442, they really put a dent in the upper end power so I took them back out.  I think they would probably be great for a tow vehicle, etc. where you were trying to get a little more lower end, but definately not for high performance applications.

Keith
Rapid City, SD
1970 Challenger, 340 6-pak