Author Topic: my first "Muscle MOPAR", the "Green Weenie"....a long, boring story...pix  (Read 5172 times)

Swedefish

Re: my first "Muscle MOPAR", the "Green Weenie"....a long, boring story...pix
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006 - 10:09:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing Daytona  :thumbsup:

These stories are great. Ever thought about writing a book?   Memoirs of My Mopars.
:iagree:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006 - 12:48:36 PM »
These stories are great. Ever thought about writing a book?   Memoirs of My Mopars.

....chapter one

...Uhhhhhh, I started out as a small child, I walked 18 miles to school one way, snow was always waist deep and the dinasaurs chased me home in the afternoon....

...chapter two

...blah, blah ,blah....

Butthead says....

"uhhhhhh, heh heh, heh heh,    uhhhh, this MOPAR book sucks "

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006 - 07:21:26 AM »
  I don't understand how the car had only a bit over 10K miles, hardly ever saw daylight , and was stored indoors , yet the paint was very tired + shot ????
  Was there a problem with F6 paint from the factory ?
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006 - 09:00:33 AM »
  I don't understand how the car had only a bit over 10K miles, hardly ever saw daylight , and was stored indoors , yet the paint was very tired + shot ????
  Was there a problem with F6 paint from the factory ?

....the F6 Bright Green paint seemed to be a poor quality paint, at least on this particular Daytona....one of my best friends was the mechanic that first drove the car when it was unloaded off the transporter, he did some donuts with the Daytona in the dealerships parking lot....he noticed some paint flakes on the nose when they took it into the garage for new car prep....

...the salesman that sold the car new took the head mechanic for a highspeed ride in the Daytona the first day, before the owner even knew the car had been delivered to the dealership, and the paint continued to flake off the nose and hood....

...Chrysler authorized a repaint on the car when it was only a few weeks old due to flaking paint on the nose, hood, and roof, it was pretty much coming off everywhere...when I bought the car 10 years later, tha paint had all peeled off the hood and top again, and the paint was dead everywhere on the car....you could wipe it with a rag and it would come off on the rag like you were sanding the car body....

the original owner only put 10K miles on the car, mostly in the first 6mos he owned it....after that he parked it in a barn near the edge of town and he only drove it once a month to keep things circulating, and he only drove it in the middle of the night so there was no traffic....there is another Daytona in town to this day, a one owner B5 Blue/blue int that had two noses replaced due to accidents early on, and I think the owner of the green Daytona was just afraid to get it damaged...

the car was repainted in 1981 and again in 1989 I think, the paint has never had any problems since

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006 - 01:42:31 PM »
I think the car was just embarrassed being green, knowing that it would be labeled with green names all it's life. It was trying to shed it's paint in hopes that someone would paint it...uhhh...BLACK! :naughty:

Awesome story & pics! :thumbsup:

'70 Charger 500

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006 - 09:30:36 PM »
Daytona, I read everything, but don't think you mentioned which motor came in the car..... :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006 - 02:47:19 AM »
 Thanks for the info Daytona-
 Just curious as my 73 Charger "Survivior" still wears it's original paint and it's in rather nice shape, still shiny + thick.
 I guess it's the combination of different color and better quality control in 3 or 4 yrs time.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006 - 11:52:56 AM »
Daytona, I read everything, but don't think you mentioned which motor came in the car..... :dunno:

it was the standard 440CI, 375hp engine...