Author Topic: SBC brakes?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Ryans71challenger

SBC brakes?
« on: February 14, 2006 - 10:40:01 PM »
The guy I purchased my car from advertised the car as having SBC brakes. What are they?

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: SBC brakes?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006 - 11:00:45 PM »
Im guessing he meant SSBC, which stands for Stainless Steel Brake Corp. Here is the website for more information

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/

Basically they sells kits to convert drum brakes to disc brakes, I just bought a set of Force 10 Elites and love them. Find out if he has the standard kit or the Force 10, either way they are better than the factory.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 - 12:03:28 AM »
Yeah the seller stripped them off the car before I took delivery did not re-install/install the stock brakes properly and tried to strip other suspension components most likely torsion bars, and swaping 318 ones back in?  Well he left a front sway bar link/and bracket totally undone causing a crash on the way home from buying the car. He also tried to hide parts from me after I paid his asking price for the car.  I saved the ebay auction with all of the proported upgrades to the car. See you in court buddy. Thanks for the link, I knew something was amiss.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006 - 02:13:13 PM by Ryans71challenger »

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006 - 07:28:18 AM »
 What was the guys name on E-Bay so the rest of us can avoid him. Did you leave some negative feedback for him on E-Bay?
 Yea I'd take that guy to court ASAP!
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 - 08:01:16 AM »
 :22yikes: :22yikes: Hopefully no one was hurt!  You know, its one thing to be greedy, but when you put someone else's life in danger over something as stupid as extra parts, you deserve everything the courts throw at you!!  :swear:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006 - 09:58:23 PM »
Thats a sad story!  Sorry to hear that! Hope justice prevails!   Did you hurt much in the accident??   :dunno:

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006 - 01:50:31 PM »
I thought this was removed due to my court comment.
This car looked great the first time I saw it but little did I know...

I did an inventory of what was represented in the ebay and the craigslist ad (which I printed) and out conversations (which I took notes on) and out emails (which I kept) and this is what is NOT on the car that was supposed to be: Flaming river close ratio steering box/rack, nope stock manual steering box OLD, sbc brakes (ssbc) with a new master cylynder and booster: Nope and the booster and master were rattle canned to look new and the brakes were tiny stock or b body,  bigger 8.75 pumkin with hd pinion snubber, nope, big rear brakes nope, rebuilt 440 crate motor turned out to be a repainted 67 motor with a maltese cross on it. NOT a 440 HP. I asked him is this a 440/375 motor with the closed chamber 906 heads and he said yes. It is not. Its a 67 motor with a maltese cross? fitted and a new eddy manifold and thermoquad and burnt oil in the pan. Since it looked new I did not question it. Lastly the front swaybar was completely disconnected on the passenger side. It was not disconnected when I inspected the car the first day I saw it and when it made it to the body shop to estimate the repairs the manager, a mopar fanatic showed me how no threads or bolts were sheared from the crash. The hardware had been removed possbly to steal the thicker torsion bars or put the stock front swaybar back on the car. Anyway, the car spun out on the freeway on a damp road going about 50 and hit a truck with 6 passengers. We all sustained soft tissue injuries/whiplash.  I came within 50 feet of death/serios injury by nearly getting t-boned by two lanes of traffic as my car was perpendicular to traffic. Mind you, this all happened within 40 miles of the previous owners house the DAY I bought the car and was drivng it cautiously home. Also the windshield wipers did not work, nor does the gas guage .This "rust free" car, that looked great due to a wash and wax to sell it ended up having a cheap and dead earl sheib respray over two previous crappy paintjobs over a ton of bondo in the quarters, and rear windshiled panel rot and rust under the vinyl top and who knows what else till I have the car blasted. I really should have had a mopar guy out there with me, but I was so jazzed to get my hands on a 71 that i paid his full asking price of $15,500. He let his ebay auction continue till 12 hours before the auction ended and beleiv me I was watching it and craigslist. So, anyone bidding on the car while the auction was live would have to EXPECT and would be legally entitled to a 1971 challenger refit all the parts represented to be on the car car at time of delivery. If I had even  gotten it home and it was still driving I would have just asked him for the parts. Since he maliously attempted to defraud me and other bidders on ebay/craiglist, and property damage and personal injury arose out of his "tort", I plan to press charges/and or sue him.
I really wish I had found this website sooner. He had a spare grille that he wanted to charge me extra for 9the one on the car was cracked and when I picked the car up and after I gave him the money, he  went to his van and got the camshaft and bumper jackthat were in the trunk when I bought it as well as the spare grille. He had put them in his work van out of sight hoping I 'd miss them. I surmise that since he could not ebay the grille, he stole/hid the rest of the parts to make up the differece. I'm sure he ade out fine on my car but it will cost him in the long run. His name is Alex Carmel (goes by Jim) and lives in San Jose hsi ebay id is: jh23fan.  He is probably a member here. It was very interesting that when I called a mopar salvage yard locally and described what happened to me, the owner of the yard IMMEDIATELY mentioned his name.
  I'm going to the DA on next week to request that a criminal case be brought against him. if that does not work we will have it out in limited civil.
   It's sad that my introduction to mopars had to begin this way. Since my insurance company had an appraiser look at the car and saw justhow nutsty the body work on y "rust free" R/T clone was thye are trying to lowball me to the point that the car will be salvaged and I will have to sell my 1970 Z28 clone to fix this car up. total damage arrsing from one man's greed and deceit was two fenders that were FULL of Bondo, a damaged but fixable radator core support, a front valence, a 71 grille including the headlight doors, a front bumper and brackets, a weld draglite rim, hood trim and minor hood damage, and who knows what else since the bodywork is not off yet. the framme rails look fine but I'll do the string measuring from bolt to bolt to see if the front end is still true. Puls my car hit a newer chevy club cab pickup with six passengers which sustained about 7-8K at least in damage to its door and rocker panel. it probably isnt the best idea to tell this to the internet community but he has so much documentation against him pus a police report and validates my speed and lane location. He will have to pay for this one way or another.  I'm not just some punk that could not handle a muscle car doing 50 miles an hour on the freeway. I own a 70 camaro with a 4:10 eaton posi and a mustang cobra with a 4:30 traction lock/posi I have any hours logged in on open road courses in semi wet conditions (seattle international raceway and portland international raceway) I know how to drive. if the front suspension is disconected or the brakes are not properly biased a car is going to be prone to crashing. Am I off-base here? Comments?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006 - 02:23:34 PM by Ryans71challenger »

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006 - 02:00:06 PM »
Am I off-base here? Comments?

Hell no you are not off-base. I would be sueing his ass and trying for get criminal charges on him. I am just surprised to see how much stuff he tried getting away with. Did he really expect you not to discover that all the parts were old and used? Its people like that guy that ruin the hobby......Good luck with your court case.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006 - 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks,  I'm glad I'm not alone in my frustration. If anyone has a line on 70-71 fenders PLEASE let me know. ify car is straight enough I'm going to run the fiberglass street fenders that 8 pack is sending me until I get somekind of settlement from my insurance company to begin the repairs. I saved up a long time to be able to spend thatmuch on a toy/hobby car and now I just get to look at a wrecked car in my garage and sigh in disgust.

Oh and the plot thickens
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006 - 08:02:41 PM »
When my car was in the body shop before he told me that the earl sheib paint job on the car was such a piece of nuts that he could not guarantee ANY work on the car, AFTER I found bondo patches over a quarter inch thick in the fndrs and quarters. After ALL of the other crap the missing parts the unhooked swaybar and finger tight suspension hardware, We found the registration of the owner prior to ALEX(james)(jim). So i called him what he told me made me get an attorney. This "rust free" car was sold to Carmel because in the guys own words it was mutch too ambitious of a rust repair project for him. The rear quarters were rusted out as was the dutchman panel. Alex had just slapped some bondo over rust and a crappy paintjob to sell the car quick. He went on to say that the motor, yes the 375hp 440 crate motor rebuild actual just had a paintjob to make it look new. It had low compression pistons that sat way down in the bores 8:1 compression he beleived and the cylinder walls were badly scored. it also has an undersized crank, the pan is full of burnt oil. The original interior was blakc and complete and in good shapre acording to the previous owner to Carmel. Carmel removed that interior and sold it. He LIED TO MY face infront of a witness that they were original black panels and console and they weren't even chalky. Well of course not because they ended up being spray painted black over olive green. I thaked the guy for the info and got off the phone.
It gets better...since i already knew that the car would have to be stripped to be repainted I decided to peel away the vinyl top. not only can you see the shoddy bondo work perfomed by carmel but BOTH C pillar/roof posts on my RUST FREE car (oh I kept the ebay auction add and craigslist add Mr. constructive fraud) Guess what? They are compltely rotted through on both sides and the top was not original a new one was slapped on over some crappy bondo work over rust. The windshield pillar posts are rusted at the joint between the roof and the posts.
  I think he is a member on this board or read this post but he posted on craigslist asking if anyone knew me trying to get my personal information. Hey if he wants to settle out of court fine I just want my money back. He can have the car and i wont pursue further litigation but the local authorities definately know what he is doing but I have waited to submit any documentation to them or attempt to pursue a criminal charges/trial.  I have enough of a case built that this wont just stop at open civil the chp is pissed off thathe let an unsafe vehivle on the road.
   I am furious that this happend as my first mopar experience and he is still selling cars on ebay and craigslist. He lives in south san jose no where near Los gatos as the add states.
here is his ad:"http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/151353578.html" The seats in that care and the interior match the pattern in my rear seat I bet that where my interior went! This car may also be the car i saw that he listed that was a complete rust bucket with the same rot in the rear pillars that mine ended up having.  He goes by Jim or James (not even one of his middle names). his name is Alex Carmel he does not like to give out his number.  I paid $15,500 for my car his full asking price and he did e like this. I have documented proof of his representations a panel of witnesses, pictures from the bodyshop, notarized memorializations and atorrney on retainer, and I'm ready to go to court. i guess if he was trying to track me down on craigslist he can find me here just as easily.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006 - 08:12:42 PM by Ryans71challenger »

Oldschool

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006 - 08:09:02 PM »
That's a sad testimony to the seller.  I hope he gets what he deserves and then some for your aggravation.  Good luck, and keep us updated......................

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006 - 08:54:51 PM »
Do you happen to have an email address for this guy?  I can check and see if he's a member.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006 - 11:51:29 PM »
  I hope you get some results Ryan, and the seller gets what he deserves.
  I've seen that Challenger on Craigslist a couple of times. I swear it was being sold for around $10,000 before??? :dunno: , but it had a 3 speed in it then, not the factory 4 speed it has now???...I remember telling my son it looks pretty good in the pic but what's up with the 3 speed manual???
 Also thanks for the info on this guy.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006 - 01:16:35 PM »
three speeds came in slant six cars it was probalby one of those.

Offline Ryans71chally

SBC Brakes Revisited
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006 - 05:48:40 PM »
I am back with a slightly changed name. My insurance company wants to FIX my car rather than totall it. I'm still going to sue the seller for what he did but I may as well use the insurance money to fix it. That does not even cover the "rebuilt motor" that was only painted and had DEEPLY scored bores, dished pistons and burnt oil in it. DO NOT BUY A CHALLENGER OR BARRACUDA FROM A GUY THAT GOES BY "Jim" "James" or "Alex" from San Jose Los Altos or anywhere int he south bay on the San Francisco Craigslist. It may cost you your life.