Author Topic: sound system options?  (Read 15191 times)

Offline dwbiggs

sound system options?
« on: February 15, 2006 - 09:08:44 AM »
Been out of the loop for the last 10 years on auto sound system technology and want to upgrade the system in my Challenger.  Basically I have a 40W head unit with tape deck and remote CD changer controls, a 120W amp mounted in trunk, and Infinty 6X9's in the back.  What are the latest hot setups?  I probably won't be using a tape anymore so a new head unit is in order.  Can you use an Ipod, or other storage device, to interface with head unit?  Are remote CD changers still the way to go?  How about sub woofers? 
Pics of your setups would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: sound system options?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:25:30 AM »

I went with a very mild set up in Lucy. IMHO, I don't believe that sub woofers or big sounds should be in muscle cars (especially MoPars!) I left my "omph omph" to the boy racers.

I did how ever get a 750watt (I think) amp to run my 6x9" 460watt Pioneer speakers.
I still wanted loud and these bad boys are LOUD. Crisp, clear AC/DC greats peoples ears before Lucy.

I mounted my Pioneer 6-CD stacker in a custom bracket that hovers above the amp to let it breath. The CD Stacker bracket is adjustable but takes time as it is solid (no rattles etc). I run a DEHPY1 Pioneer Head unit, it's not very good, it is excellent but not user friendly.....I still don't know how to use it! lol

Cheers,
NZ
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 - 09:16:36 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:41:01 AM »
You can get your i-pod to work thru any car radio. There is something called a transpod that plugs into your cigarette lighter, so the ipod charges as it plays. You just tune the transpod and radio to the same frequency to get it to work.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

kudakidd

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:43:30 AM »
Dan, keep in mind that a sub woofer will take up a lot of space in an already too small e-body trunk. But you will need something of a small sub, cause your exhaust system will cancel out much of the bass frequency. Also put a speaker (or two small ones) in the front dash for a fuller sound. CD changers are still the way to go as far as installation and reliability :thumbsup:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:48:01 AM »
You can get your i-pod to work thru any car radio. There is something called a transpod that plugs into your cigarette lighter, so the ipod charges as it plays. You just tune the transpod and radio to the same frequency to get it to work.

Mike

My mates got that radio frequency gadget. You can change the radios of other drivers stations, no crap!!
You can also plug it into home stereos and play it 2, 3 or 10 times louder than the factory set it too....
does heaps more, it's a dodgy little gadget...... :lol:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006 - 11:37:19 AM »
I went with a "secret audio" tuner/amp that will be mounted under the rear seat, and a 10 CD changer thats mounted under the package shelf in the trunk. Rear speakers are 6 X 9's and for the front, i used a dual voice coil 4 X 10 in the stock center location. Thats basicly 2 seperate speakers that fit into the stock center speaker location. The tuner/Cd changer is controlled by a RF remote, and there is a small display head that will be mounted in the glove box. The factory AM radio resides in the stock location, but it's just a dummy unit. Once i get this all installed, future mods will include a amp for more punch, and a compact sub woofer that will fit under the rear seat.  My goal here is an almost "invisible" audio system, so the car appears completely stock.

kudakidd

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006 - 11:42:54 AM »
i used a dual voice coil 4 X 10 in the stock center location. Thats basicly 2 seperate speakers that fit into the stock center speaker location.

What is the make and model number of this 4x10 speaker?

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 - 12:21:02 PM »
MEK,

Now thats cool...can you download .WMA files into an iPod?  That would seem to be the way to go...Be one less thing you would have to mount in the trunk.

Dan

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006 - 03:52:19 PM »
MEK,

Now thats cool...can you download .WMA files into an iPod?  That would seem to be the way to go...Be one less thing you would have to mount in the trunk.

Dan

Hee-hee-hee,
   I guess I'll confess right here and now. You can take any Mp3, or WMA music file that you have downloaded legally, or otherwise, and "add" them to the I-tunes jukebox that you install on your computer. Then you download them to the ipod.  :bananasmi

A word of warning to those of you thinking about high powered amps in your car. The old Mopar alternator was only good for 60 amps. I had to go up to a 80 amp alternator because my amp would start to fade in and out at an idle. Just something to keep in mind. I needed the big amp so I could hear over the sound of the exhaust. Not that I don't enjoy the roar at 3,000 RPM.  :cooldancing:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 - 04:20:11 PM »
What is the make and model number of this 4x10 speaker?

here is the link to the website, look under speakers:

http://mustangjack.com/secretaudio.htm

:cheers:

Offline lemurfart

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006 - 04:23:19 PM »
NZ,

i heard that the screen on your head unit gets brighter and darker randomly and gets very annoying at night.

does yours do this?
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

kudakidd

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006 - 05:42:35 PM »
here is the link to the website, look under speakers:

http://mustangjack.com/secretaudio.htm

:cheers:

Thanks Hemi! I noticed there's no application for Mopars. Which model DVC speaker did you go with, the DVC-1000 or 2000? And are ya happy with it? Thx, KK

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006 - 05:48:21 PM »
NZ,

i heard that the screen on your head unit gets brighter and darker randomly and gets very annoying at night.

does yours do this?

Not that I've noticed. Doesn't say anything in the manual about it. You sure it's not a wives tale?  :lol2:
Reason I say this is because it has little "movies" or GIF's that would can brighter or darker depending on where the movie stage is at. More lights in a city driving scene than on a dark stormy night etc.....

Offline lemurfart

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006 - 07:04:37 PM »
hmmm i tryed to look for proof that what i said wasent made up but it looks like all the websites i would normally get my info from either dont sell or no one has reveiwed it

weird
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006 - 07:12:17 PM »
Kuda, i believe it was the 1000 series, a 4 X 10 fits in nicely. I would have had to drill one hole to mount it using two screws, so instead i lined up one screw, and siliconed in the other side.

I've only tested it so far, system is not in yet...but it sounded good.