sound system options?

Author Topic: sound system options?  (Read 15181 times)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
Re: sound system options?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006 - 07:17:34 PM »
Here's my setup. Sony CDX-F5700 in-dash CD which has 52Wx4 pushing 3-1/2" in dash and 4" seperates in the door (I've had the car 23 years and cut the door panels back-in the day, so no hate mail please).  In the trunk I have an MTX 50Wx2 on 6x9's and 80Wx2 on Punch 10" subs in a small box facing the rear seat.  There is also a 10-disc CD changer that no longer gets used thanks to the I-Pod that I've hooked directly to the aux inputs, which sounds much better than through the radio.

I've always had subs in her and can't imagine playing AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock" without 'em!  Just wouldn't do it justice! All speakers except for the subs are JBL.  You won't hear me from blocks away, but it crank's quite nicely with the relatively small amount of power that I'm using.

I have found that unless I have it cranked the 70 amp alternator handles the load.  If you overdo it, a capacitor can be added to handle the hits that the amp makes on the system with the bass notes. The most critical thing IMO is using good wires for the connections and proper routing to eliminate noise. Get power from the battery to the amps using proper ga wires, never through the fusebox.  Route power wires on one side of the car, inputs on the other.  Oversize speaker wires with the finest /highest count threads and soldered connections.

Hope that helps.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

kudakidd

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006 - 08:23:22 PM »
Kuda, i believe it was the 1000 series, a 4 X 10 fits in nicely. I would have had to drill one hole to mount it using two screws, so instead i lined up one screw, and siliconed in the other side.

I've only tested it so far, system is not in yet...but it sounded good.

Thanks Hemi. I've checked around and mustang jacks have the best prices. I gonna order one. Thanks for the help. KK

Offline 72Chall77Doba

• Bill's Mopars
    • My Car Domain Page
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:32:07 PM »
I too have the two speaker set up installed under the center speaker grill.
I took out the orig 2 small speakers on the left and right side of the dash
but couldn't find replacements due to the small magnets they used back then.
So the installer also took out the center speaker and installed 2 speakers under the center speaker grill.
My question- is it worth it to send the 3 orig speakers to year one to have them refurbished or will they still shound crappy?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006 - 09:55:16 PM »
My Pontiac (don'i hate me) has Apline/Infinity 900 Watts no holes cut or drilled. Even with the top down on the interstate doin' 80 it ROCKS! :ylsuper:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006 - 10:08:17 PM »
I too have the two speaker set up installed under the center speaker grill.
I took out the orig 2 small speakers on the left and right side of the dash
but couldn't find replacements due to the small magnets they used back then.
So the installer also took out the center speaker and installed 2 speakers under the center speaker grill.
My question- is it worth it to send the 3 orig speakers to year one to have them refurbished or will they still shound crappy?

Hey 72chall, I'm about to put a stereo in my car. I have two speakers I was gonna put in the dash, I think they're 3 1/2 round or somethign but they're pretty deep. Is there not much room under there? Will they fit in the center speaker hole?
Thanks

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006 - 10:26:24 PM »
The problem you'll run into is the magnets on modern speakers are too big and wont clear the metal frame in the dash if you try to use the outside holes the 3 speaker dashes have. You can take the pad off, then cut the frame to clear the magnets, but i did not want to hack up the frame, so i used the dual voice coil center speaker.

No prob Kudakidd !!

:thumbsup:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006 - 10:34:42 PM »
The problem you'll run into is the magnets on modern speakers are too big and wont clear the metal frame in the dash if you try to use the outside holes the 3 speaker dashes have. You can take the pad off, then cut the frame to clear the magnets, but i did not want to hack up the frame, so i used the dual voice coil center speaker.

No prob Kudakidd !!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Hemi71, that is kinda dissapointing, I was excited that my car had the 3 speaker dash, and I have a really expensive component set that would have worked perfect. I guess its gonna be a set of 6X9's and a cd player..lol.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline crcarch

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006 - 07:22:57 AM »
You can use component tweeters in the original openings without cutting the metal.  Remove the grill from the dash, cut out a small circle of metal the size of the opening and mount the tweeter on that.  Works great! That will give you the stereo separation you desire. Just don't forget the in-line bass blockers or a crossover to keep them from frying.

You don't need any bass up front if you've got healthy 6x9's in the rear or subs. If so, you can add the dual voice coil speakers others have talked about or fab a plate and mount two 3 1/2" speakers in the 4x10 opening.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006 - 09:39:10 AM »
Thanks crcarh, but the component set I have is a 3-piece component. Meaning the tweeter and mid are one speaker (3 1/2 round with tweeter on top) The set also has 6" round "subs".  This set has a cross-over to distribute the power to each of the 3 speakers. I was just planning on using the mid/tweets in the dash, and have the 6x9's and a small sub in the trunk. But if I can't use them, I may just save my amps and stereo for a different vehicle that will utilize it all.  The speakers are by Canton. They sell a lot of EXPENSIVE home speakers. Approx 5-20K depending on the model.  I've never seen a set like them before, and I think you can only get Canton car audio directly from west Germany from what i'm told.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006 - 10:19:12 PM »
Here is a pic of my setup.  tough to get a good system in a convertible!   :banghead:

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006 - 06:07:45 AM »
Pictures and systems in convertibles (challys) would be appreciated as I ponder my setup.  I am considering a custom console (original-ish) since I am converting auto on column to 4 speed

The "new-old" console will probably house a concealed pop-up dvd monitor unit - no idea about speakers and amps - suggestions?
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline crcarch

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006 - 06:37:45 AM »
You should check out Joe Rogan's Sick Fish for the custom console idea.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006 - 09:04:21 AM »
I'll have to admit this is a very interesting and "educational" thread, but honestly the very ultimate/best sound system for a Mopar is a big block with Flowmaster series 40 duals.....................let em roar baby !  :clapping:  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Oldschool

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006 - 10:10:11 AM »
I'll have to admit this is a very interesting and "educational" thread, but honestly the very ultimate/best sound system for a Mopar is a big block with Flowmaster series 40 duals.....................let em roar baby !  :clapping:  :roflsmiley:

:iagree:   I wouldn't be able to hear music anyway in the Beast, so I just let that big ole Hemi sing to me......    :cooldancing:    ...Oldschool

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006 - 10:12:06 AM »
4cruzin' your setup very close to mine!  :cheers:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl