Author Topic: my Hemi engine numbers found?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
my Hemi engine numbers found?
« on: February 16, 2006 - 10:27:58 PM »
As some of the members that have been here over a year recall, I had bought a 426 Hemi last summer. It is a 70 block that was with a manual trans. Today, while doing my usual patrol of car parts through Craigslist.org, low and behold...70 Hemi manifolds for sale.
      Let's back up a little for those that weren't around. 
I bought the engine from a well known friend of a friend who I have encountered many times over the years where I grew up. Our town where I grew up isn't huge so everybody pretty much knows everybody back then. The seller of my engine became paralyzed in a motorcycle accident. A few years later, he bought a 426 Hemi and put it in a jet boat. Before he put it in, he grinded off the Vin # from the side of the block so that no one would ever pressure him that the engine belongs with so and such car. His character is not one of a person who would steal or buy something stolen for those who may ask. I bought the engine for 5 grand. The guy with the manifolds wrote me back today in an E-mail with this letter. The chances of it being my manifolds to my engine are highly likely. He is about 40 miles away from me. Yet neither he or I have enough past information about where the car is. Even if they aren't the ones that came with my engine, it appears that they may date code out correctly to mine. Pics will follow in a few.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: my Hemi engine numbers found?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006 - 10:34:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

Manifolds are factory originals. They were included with the purchase of a 1970 Hemi'Cuda body in 1987. I've never been able to find the corresponding engine. Who knows if maybe you have the engine or have come across it over the years.Vin # is BS23ROB199592
            Do let me know.

Regards,

George

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006 - 10:44:14 PM by topcatcuda »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 - 10:47:05 PM »
2 more
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006 - 10:49:22 PM »
last one
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 - 10:51:43 PM »
So now I need to know, does it appear to be the right manifolds for my engine?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 - 08:31:09 AM by topcatcuda »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006 - 08:25:09 AM »
here's an update from him. It looks like we should meet and talk this week end.
And again, if anybody has some good advice, about this...it's appreciated.

Hi Mike,

I still own the Hemi'Cuda body. Haven't done anything with it yet. It's currently in a body shop and has been for years. Not sure what is going to come of the project.It became mired in nowhere land amongst five other simultaneous projects when I became disabled many years ago.

I've only had two other inquiries on the manifolds today but have not responded.
            Incidentally, the Hemi'Cuda has not been registered for around twenty years. I'm quite interested to know what registry information there may be on the car. It's B-3 in color, black interior and has the Grand Coupe like felt headliner and overhead console which is extremely rare for any Hemi'Cuda.

Regards,

George
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006 - 08:35:41 AM »
TC, that's pretty cool.  It'd be something if it was indeed the factory Hemi for his car, but then the choices for you begin to open up. (whether you'd help him out by selling/trading him the engine for another one, etc.)  I know I've kept the possibilities open for my non-matching 340-4speed engine because I'd love to see it go back into the original car, provided it's still out there and wasn't crushed in the '80s.  Keep us updated with what happens as now you have me curious.  It may be hard to document the engine with the engine's numbers being polished off though. :bricks1:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006 - 08:58:36 AM »
TC, that's pretty cool.  It'd be something if it was indeed the factory Hemi for his car, but then the choices for you begin to open up. (whether you'd help him out by selling/trading him the engine for another one, etc.)   It may be hard to document the engine with the engine's numbers being polished off though. :bricks1:

:iagree: How can you go about verifing your block Mike is from this or any car? Or, did the previous owner just grind off the stamped numbers or did he also grind away even the casting numbers? Strange indeed, numbers we know today are what validate "reality" and also are the base for the $$$$$$$$ spent for cars/parts, espceially when a hemi is involved. I'd say the previous owner of you motor probably sholuld have left the block alone.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006 - 05:47:00 PM »
I understand that there is an acid that will bring out the impression of my vin no.s
what type of acid is that?
I E mailed him again asking what the production date of his car is.
I haven't heard back yet.
I also need to find out if the car was a automatic or a manual.
If it was a automatic, then it isn't a match because my carbs indicate they were for a manual.
Yes, this could open a Pandoras box if this indeed is the right engine for his car.
I recall a story of a member here and they are still feuding to this day over who should get what.
So far, he seems reasonable from the E mails he has sent. He has withdrawn from selling the manifolds on the internet for now until we can confirm more on this possible match.
I'm not a numbers guru. so I ask for anyone's help on what pics I have shown so far. And what about his car? :1zhelp: :1zhelp:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 - 09:26:15 PM by topcatcuda »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 - 10:06:28 PM »
His latest E mail. The hairs on my neck went straight when I read it. Now all we need to know is if the car was an early production Cuda. If it was, then we can use deductive reasoning that my engine and his car were once together.

His E-mail to me.

Hi Mike,

Car is manual. I would need to go to the body shop to check production date. Do not plan to go until next week. Today I found out by running the part numbers that the exhaust manifolds are indeed 1970 version.

Regards,

George

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006 - 11:34:35 PM »
Wow, the story continues to unfold into greater details... :eek2: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  That'd be great if you could put another Hemi 'Cuda back on the streets as a numbers-matching car!!!! :drool:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006 - 07:20:07 AM »
Boy TC, gets more interesting all the time buddy. IF, and that will remain to be verified, your engine came from his car personally I would have to say for the right price or compensation, the engine needs to be back where it started, in that car. Now I suggest all future discussions with ole George, that you not provide too much detail or "answers" before he ask questions. The guy may seem straight up, but he may just be fishing for a "cheap" hemi ? If he is a numbers nut and wants this engine/car reunion badly enough I'd say a crate street hemi ought to seal the deal. You get yours and you'll ship "his" back in the same crate.  :roflsmiley: Veerrry interesting....................
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006 - 09:08:22 AM »
I would really feel good about myself knowing that I was the person that put another Hemi Cuda back into circulation. Of course, the sacrifice of me giving the engine back would not go cheap. Yes WSM, I agree a complete running Hemi would be a requirement. But I would rather be more of a Co- owner with George.
But here, I really ask help from you members out there. :feedback: :1zhelp:
I want opinions,
I want advice about my grinded off numbers and what to do.
Can I interrogate  :swear: the DMV to do a back round on the Vin no.s of George's Hemi Cuda?
If they traced all prior registered owners, George and I could track down when the engine and car became separated.Yes, that's a longshot.  Does the Vin no. appear to be an early 70 production?  The paraplegic guy probably won't help me at all from who or where he bought the engine from. 
By now it's really obvious that his car being a manual and my engine was for a manual, that my exhaust manifolds were missing when I bought it, that the car really couldn't have gone too far away, that this really does seem to be a match.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006 - 04:32:11 PM by topcatcuda »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006 - 12:24:04 PM »
Hey Mike, there are many sites that have the information you may need. You already show your HEMI casting PN, here is the location for model year and the date it was assembled.

Here's a good place to surf for information too.
http://www.carr.org/~gripper/426hemi.html

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006 - 12:44:33 PM »
thanks Glen,  This Monday, I plan to take my Camara with me to where I keep it stored at. I'll take some pics. hopefully he didn't grind those off too.
Mike, Fremont, CA.