my Hemi engine numbers found?

Author Topic: my Hemi engine numbers found?  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: my Hemi engine numbers found?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006 - 04:01:15 PM »
Just got off the phone with the guy who sold me the Hemi. I asked him..."What the hell were you thinkin to grind off the vin for?" He told me that, as he was gettin it ready a few days prior to putting it in the boat, he thought about what he would do thinking about it in the future. Anotherwards, he felt that he would start wondering where the car was. That all that work to get it in the boat, then changing his mind cuz the car might be out there..so he grinded them off so that way he wouldn't let the possibility of himself renegging on his boat and the engine. So he basically wanted to commit to the project then. Thought by doing that, it wouldn't ever haunt him again. We talked for quite a while. He said that he will try to find the guy who was involved before him with the engine. That is the guy I'm really wanting to talk to. He will remember the color of the car and might even have some left over artifacts of the car from then. I really hope that this doesn't all come to a dead end. But if I never try to get to the end of this, a real Hemi Cuda may never resurrect. The story will continue....
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006 - 04:14:07 PM »
Keep us informed!!   :wave:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006 - 04:22:21 PM »
You're a good man Mike, but don't get screwed over, I don't think you will allow this but: A motor without numbers, a bill of sale or not, somehow if ole George can convince the authorities that this is his "stolen" motor, guess who ends up with it, can you say freebe and you looking at some serious explaining. Just use some caution friend.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006 - 04:37:57 PM »
I have my friend who put it in the boat as a witness. He has a bill of sale from the person who sold it to him. No vin on it though. I have my other friend who is a witness as well as myself who saw this engine in the boat prior. I also have a pic of the engine when it was in the boat.  So I think so far that I'm OK. Thanks for the concern. Good point made and precaution will be taken from here on out. :thumbsup:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006 - 04:07:39 PM »
I just got off the phone with George. We had a really great conversation together.
This is what we have learned so far.
Kenneth Moss raced the car at Fremont Raceway back in the 80's. It had a 440 engine in it then. But, it had the 4 speed items still in it.  He then sold the car to Scott Smith in Santa Rosa. Both Scott Smith and Kenneth Moss lived near the Bay area. George bought the car from Scott Smith on 11/19/87.
When he bought the car, he was given some Hemi parts with the car. One part in particular that really ties this engine to the body is the harmonic balancer. My engine has an aftermarket balancer put on it. He also has the original flywheel from it. George has the Harmonic balancer that was originally with the engine. George has sold some of the 4 speed parts to a guy in Sacramento, CA. This explains my flywheel and harmonic balancer missing on mine. George has had offers on the manifolds as much as 4 grand. Happy to say now that they are not for sale anymore. Scott Smith is believed to be living in either Idaho or Utah now. George had bought a 68 hemi block to put in the car to replace the missing Hemi that I have.  We are both very excited now about what mysteries are about to unfold. One of the carbs I have looked like it had sat out in the rain. Whoever took it apart, will recall leaving it out when they had the Hemi engine. This is one of the pieces of the puzzle yet to be solved. So it appears so far that my engine has exchanged hands 4 or 5 times. this is the people we need to track down next. Late next week, George and I will get together and see the car and my engine, with each other. To be continued....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006 - 04:19:05 PM by topcatcuda »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006 - 04:28:37 PM »
 :popcorn:  This is getting gooooood! This is better than watching 24.  :grinyes:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006 - 04:57:25 PM »
Scott moved to Spokane, WA a while back. You can contact him through his website at http://www.harmsauto.com/

Barry

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006 - 05:36:00 PM »
Thank you Barry. This could be the turning point of what went where, when.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006 - 08:45:25 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006 - 11:44:26 PM »
Wow, this is some awesome news TC!!!! :eek2: Keep us posted!! :cheers:  The way things are going, it looks like you'll be able to still have a Hemi and another Hemi car will be resurrected!!!! :drool: :drool:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006 - 11:57:21 PM »
Wow, this is a great story!! I love the detective work..lol.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006 - 10:18:16 AM »
Hi all,

Well I spoke with the originator of this thread last night at length, that indeed was the Hemi Cuda I once owned and remember well. There are a few inconsistancies with the story but it's basically correct as I recall it. I can't wait to see some photos of the car possibly next weekend.

:thumbsup:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006 - 10:29:39 AM »
Yes, the detective work is a fun part about all this.

I talked to Scott last night. We had a great time talking.  Unfortunatly, this cold case isn't going in the direction I wish it were...

Scott bought the car from Ken on 4/17/87. He sold it to George on 11/19/87.
He told me that he didn't have it very long because there was so much missing on the car.
When he bought it, it had VW Rabbit seats in it and the shaker hood was replaced by a rallye hood.The car was originally a B-3 Ice Blue. But it was painted over with a GM midnight blue over it.The car had Centerline wheels on it. The fender tags were missing and so was the build sheet under the seat. The dash has the R code on it and is original. The steering column was the wrong one. It had an electric fuel pump near the trunk.  He recalls the car vividly.That it was a very rust free car that had never been hit. He said it had a Dana 60 in it and was sure it had 4:10 gears in it.
He went with his Dad one night and drove it home. It was a powerful car that could do 12's in the quarter. As he told me details of the event, I could almost feel like I was there with him the night he brought it home. Later on, he pulled the engine out. He told me that the K member was butchered up from converting it to a 440 set up. He told me there was a rumor that it was a 4 speed car. But that he swears when he had it, that there was a hole for the linkage for an automatic. The door panels on it had the wood grain trim on them. For 70 models, that would indicate that it should of originally had leather seats in it.(correct me if I'm wrong) He also recalls the overhead console on it.
  But this is what doesn't make sense. When he sold it to George, he did not give him Hemi exhaust manifolds during the sale of the car. It was sold without an engine. which was of course the 440 that Ken had. Scott kept the 440 and sold that off separately. And then there's the balancer question. Mine is black. George says he has an orange one that he got with the car.
I believe that there is the possibility that George might have some of the facts mixed up. If it does turn out that this is an automatic car, then all bets are off on us getting my engine and his car back together. George told me yesterday that he had an offer of 4,000 dollars for the manifolds. HA! I'll buy reproduction one's and save 3,200. Before I go to the trouble of recovering my Vin no.s, I have to go see this car...period. Even then, it really will never fetch the high dollar value of the Hemi cars we all watched on Barrett Jackson last month. Because the documentation and so many parts are missing on the car. the main thing that needs to be found out now are: Where is Ken Moss? Who pulled the engine? Why? Is the car really an automatic afterall? Are there any pics of the car from before? Even if it turns out that the engine and car never were a match, I still plan on trying to solve this story of this Hemi Cuda and it's past. Please be patient about me getting pictures of this car. Scott warned me that George can be wary of new people that he first meets. That if I come off acting like someone who wants to see his car then just disapear afterwards that I'll never get to see it. According to Scott, George is a really nice guy once you get to know him. So far, that is the impression I have had talking to him over the phone. So once George trusts me, I should have permission to take pictures of the car.
To be continued....
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006 - 12:42:32 PM »
Just got off the phone with George.
He adamatly swears that Scott sold him the manifolds from the car when he bought the car from him. Scott and George will be talking to each other soon to sort out this small piece of the puzzle.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:33:55 PM »
 :popcorn: