Author Topic: Opinions on Zollner pistons  (Read 3838 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Opinions on Zollner pistons
« on: February 18, 2006 - 11:44:33 AM »
What do you think of them?

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: Opinions on Zollner pistons
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 - 09:00:19 AM »
They are good pistons,I know some will differ with me here but I say you dont need to spend the dough on forged unless you are using NO2 or a blower.Back in the day they used cast pistons on race hemi's and everything else,they more than likely will never fail you.The bonus is that as most people dont know this the cast pistons of today are not the old cast pistons,they are ALL hypers,unless you buy some old stock from yester year,if they look shiney,they are Hypers.So when you buy those Keith Black Hyper pistons,they are no more than todays Cast pistons which are all hypers.My buddy that owns a respectable engine machine shop told me all of this when i had my 383 built for my cuda a couple of years ago.My cast(hyper)pistons cost me 125 bucks on epay for brand new pistons.THey dont make "cast"pistons anymore
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Follicly Challenged

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006 - 09:39:56 AM »
Hypersutectic Pistons are a "cast" Piston that uses a higher silicon content in the poured alloy, to improve the thermal stability, and as Moparnut indicated, most manufacturers have gone to these "improved" alloys over the years, but in varying degrees of silicon addition.

Zollner Pistons are a fine piece.

Same, Same, as Moparnut, No HYPER's for steroids(No2), or blower !  "Forged" Pistons only if you're goin there.

What you may be more concerned with, is the actual "Compression Distance" of any Piston, rather than the particular manufacturer. Make sure the Compression ratio it delivers is adequate for what you're doing, lest you end up with a "Popcorn Fart" in a stiff wind for cylinder pressure !

What engine is this ?

What heads, and Zollner Piston number are you using ?

FC out.

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006 - 10:29:43 AM »
Thanks for all the good info.  Here's what happened:

We all know that restoring an old rusty Cuda can get expensive quickly.  Although I will one day put a 440 in it, I wanted a cheap rebuild ($1500) on my numbers matching 318, which was bone stock, except for the Edelbrock RPM intake (and the previous owner had a Holley 650 double pumper, which was in pretty bad condition, so replaced it with an Edelbrock 600).

I'm new to the local area, but joined a mopar club, and everyone recommended one engine guy, who is reputed to do 70% of all performance engine work in the area, a fairly big area.  I went to meet with him, brought a friend, and both of us got the impression he's pretty cocky, but were sure he knows his business, so I went with it, asking him to build the best he can for $1500, and sorry I'm so limited on funds at the moment.

When it was done, he couldn't really explain anything to me about it.  He said he bored it 30 over, ported the heads, a zillion such machine shop things, put the tallest pistons in there he could get, so he said, and that they were still down in the hole, and he was guessing 8:1 compression, but was really unsure.  He said the lower half of the motor had never been opened before, and original compression was 8.5:1.

So I asked what cam went in it, and he didn't know, but had to go look it up.  I asked about the pistons, and the same thing, it took a while for him to figure it out.  At first he was guessing Silvomatic (I think, which I looked up and thought was the cheapest I found), and he said Zollner Z7035 pistons.  The overall feeling we got both times was that he just didn't care because it wasn't a 440.  My friend was really concerned, thinking he took the money and put the cheapest parts in, and was wondering what kind of bearings, etc. he used.

On the bright side, he is well reputed, and I'm sure it'll run forever, but just the same, that's not how I was expecting to be treated for $1500, guess you just had to be there, but I remained professional and optimistic.  So I'm really curious about these pistons and my compression.

The cam is a Crane Energizer cam with lift kit, part #150052, with 454 lift and 272 duration.

Spark plugs are RN9YC, gapped to .39, headers are flowtech, timing is set to 40.  That's about all I know.

I tried to look up Zollner pistons online, and specifically Z7035, but had no luck finding anything.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006 - 01:39:06 PM »
The cam sounds decent, and at least you can run it on any kind of gas if it's 8:1 compression ratio. I guess this guy wants you to tell him you have unlimited funds before he goes all out???  :dunno: I hope it runs forever for you.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 - 11:40:09 PM »
sounds like a great machinist , I would have been running away !!
 guessing at the compression !! :banghead:
 you cannot get a lot for $1500 though hopefully he took time to machine it correctly
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006 - 01:54:11 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006 - 01:05:22 AM »
Sounds like a good solid build, cams good. I'm assuming he assembled it too ?

Really, you can't expect much for $1500 these days, sorry, but thats just the way it is. If it runs good, thats about all you can expect.

Just my 2 cents

FC out.

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006 - 11:00:19 AM »
Thanks for all the great info.  Chryco Psycho, those were exactly my thoughts! And Follicly Challenged, yep, he assembled it too.

I'd like to know more about the Zollner's I have.  Do you know a website where I can research them?  I came up dry.  Cheers.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006 - 11:49:23 AM »
No flamer intended,

But your builder had to "guess" at the C.R. based on the manufacturers(Zollner's) info.
Otherwise, would mean he had "cc'd" the engine, and "poured it" during assembly.

Not really practical, time, or pricewise, on a $1500 build. Usually a $95/hr.,  minimum 1 hr charge. Time IS MONEY !

He rather concentrated "valuable" time, and $$, towards "correct machining", as opposed to "fluff" that wouldn't make much difference anyway @ the 8.0 ? or 8.5 ? C. R. range.

Really, "anywhere" between there, just don't matter a "hoot" powerwise, It's still a LOW COMPRESSION MOTOR !

It'll "do", what it's gonna "do", It's already done and built. 318's make surprisingly good power @ low compression once they rev up, be happy !

Probably a great little engine !

FC out.

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:06:33 PM »
Never any worries, I wouldn't take anything like that as flammable :)

I think the guy is technically competent.  What I think happened was he simply couldn't remember, building as many engines as he does, and a 318 didn't interest him too much, which finally became crystal clear to my friend and I at the finish line of the little project, though I wish we would have seen that coming and gone elsewhere.  I also think his guys spent more time in the engine than he did.  So it wasn't the best experience, and I'll know better next time.

Just the same, I'm sure if it were you, you'd still want to know what you have, even if you'll only have it for a year or so.