Author Topic: Another quarter skin going on  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Another quarter skin going on
« on: February 19, 2006 - 10:37:47 AM »
OK...
So far, Pipefish has the record for the faster quarter skin install! Awesome job!

I'm finally ready to put my skins on. I'm using the technique described at http://moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0507_panel_replace/.

I began by trimming the lips off of the skins. I used masking tape to create a line to cut along. I wanted the keep as much of the vertical surface of the skins as possible, so my cut line was very close to the lips. The goal is to keep the original front, top, and rear body lines. The original quarters were way too far gone to save the center body line. On the Challengers, you should do whatever you can to save that center ridge since it is so darn big! Of course, you Challenger goofs can buy OEM style full quarters!
Next step was to strip the cheesey primer from the backside of the skins. I used a 3M strip disk for a drill, available at Autozone or Advanced.
Next, I primed the inside of the panels with DP40 epoxy primer. I masked off about 1" from the edges. On that 1", I sprayed on weld-thru zinc primer.
A couple of friends came over to help line up and screw the panel in place. My friend has done several Brand X cars and was amazed at how well these skins fit! Many people complain about the skins, but I don't know why. My only complaint is that my skins have no flange for the rear valance. I have some major fabrication work to do back there to make the valance fit. I need to buy a repop valance first.
We test fit and clamped the skin in place at the wheelhouse. The body line was dead on at the front and rear of the quarter. We then started at the center top of the skin, making sure that the skin fit flushed and didn't bulge at the center. Be careful when setting up the skin...if you pull the skin up too much, you will sink the middle body line. Don't pull the skin up tight enough and you will have a buldge on the center line. You want that skin to hang from the screws with no tension on the vertical surface.
We center punched spots along the top of the skin about 2" apart from each other. One by one, working from the center out, we drilled pilot holes. One at a time, we then screwed in sheetmetal screws, the kind with a nice big head. Then, we moved out one punch mark at a time, from the center out, and repeated. We did this around the entire border of the skin.

OK...This is where I am at as of Sunday morning. I will use a 1/32 cutoff wheel on a right angle die grinder to cut along the tape line between pairs of screws. The cut is done through both the new and old panels. The cut should be done at a 45* angle so that the top panel fits down onto the bottom panel. kind of like a miter cut. Making one cut at a time, I will then make the old and new panels flush and tack weld using 20 Gauge brand welding wire. This is a specialty welding wire made by J Harris. It isn't solid...the center of the wire is designed to keep the heat and splatter low. You use it just as you would a solid core wire but with much lower heat settings. I'll make one spot weld between the two screws, remove one of the screws, and cut in the other direction, repeating the process until the entire edge is tacked into place. Then, going very slowly, I'll work additional spot welds around the perimeter, making sure that I stop welding if the panel gets hot. I suspect this will take me several days to do as going faster might lead to too much heat buildup. Fortunately, it's a cool 65* down here in Orlando, which helps.

Offline highspeeddirt

Re: Another quarter skin going on
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 - 12:53:56 PM »

Thanks Steve!  You a teacher professionally?  Cause I sure learned something there!  It's really gonna help when I get ready to do mine.  You do some fantasic work. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006 - 01:28:54 PM »
Great!  Please take and post MORE pictures!!!!!  PLEASE!!!!!!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006 - 01:33:52 PM »
SWEEEET!!!   :jumping:  :thumbsup:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006 - 03:01:12 PM »
I used to be a professor...my first career. I went over to consulting...more money and less hassle.

OK...here's an update and some more pics.

First, here's a link to the welding wire I'm using:  http://www.jwharris.com/images/twentygauge.pdf

Second, I found that it was best to cut perpendicular to the metal. The 45* bevel cut only made the gap bigger, there was no overlap advantage. remember to take your time and keep that speed in spec (usually 90 psi on an air die grinder works). If you are stalling the disc, you are not keeping it perpendicular to the cut and the disc surface is dragging. I like to score the metal by going back and forth on my cut line; then I keep going back and forth, cutting through the metal slowly. You can warp metal if you cut too fast and build up heat.

So, I had those body panel welding clamps that you see in the Eastwood catalouge (you can get them at harbor freight much cheaper). I figured that would be a great way to make sure that the panels were flush. Check out the first pic. (Sorry the pic is so bad...not sure what happened).

I went in for the first tack welds. Went well. Stay fast on the trigger and hit the gap perpendicular. That is, you don't want to aim the gun more toward one panel or the other or you will get burn through! Nice little spot welds 1 inch apart is what we want to do. Right after the weld, I hit the area with air. I can't believe how cool I was able to keep the metal! Cool to the touch after 10 seconds of air. Those clamps are acting as heat sinks and that wire welds cool but keeps good penetration and lays out fairly flat!

BUT, remember that we are cutting through two sheets of steel: the skin and the original quarter. So, I found out that was leaving the original piece that was cut behind the replacement panel. that's no good. I suppose I could have left it in? Notice that the Mopar Muscle magazine says nothing about this part! Being anal as I am, I crawled into the trunk with the cutoff tool and cut the original quarter piece at the center weld point. Thereafter, that piece is easy to push out as you back out more screws. See the second pic. Yes, I can fit in the trunk.

Keep working your way out from the center. Some of those clamps were tough to get into place. They use a little square metal piece on the backside to hold the clamp in place. I was able to use the clamps for the entire run. The third pic shows the top line all tacked in place. Took me over 3 hours to do just this! I'll never make money at this, but that's why it's a hobby. I can say that there is absolutely no waves or warping. I was able to keep that metal super cool! This went much better than I thought it would!

Offline Pipefish

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 - 09:46:20 PM »
Looking good Steve,keep up the good work.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006 - 07:05:15 PM »
EXCELLANT! :clapping: Rich.

Offline common 27

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006 - 05:49:35 PM »
Steve between you and pipefish ,I'm learning a lot!  I was wondering if you used the hollow core wire for all the welding you did, such as the floors and the frame connectors? I see it's a .030 dia. Have you tried a .025 solid wire or is this the way to go? Do you know if Pipefish used the same stuff? I've never seen it before but it looks like you did an excellant job!!  More PICS.
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 - 07:42:06 PM »
I used .025 solid core standard wire for all my other sheet metal work. I just picked up this new .030 wire. It's kind of hard to work with at first...but you can keep the temps down during welds. I having started grinding yet, but I think that this stuff should grind easier and cooler than standard wire does. For the subframe connectors, I used standard .030 solid core. I don't know what Pipe was using.