Author Topic: 4 Post Lifts best product  (Read 2245 times)

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
Re: 4 Post Lifts best product
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007 - 11:07:59 PM »
If you're putting safety at the top of the list, I would go with the Backyard Buddy. A little more expensive, but if you look at the design, you'll see what I mean. All lifts, where the bed rides up in channels in the legs are prone to kickout if not stable or level. They are made to be bolted to the floor, even though you can get wheel kits for them. The BB lift overcomes this by having solid sleeves that completely surround the legs, making it virtually impossible for the legs to kick out. I've looked at a lot of 4-post lifts, and when I get one, the Backyard Buddy is the one I'm going to get. Your car, and your life are worth the extra money.
The Backyard buddy is nice, watched their video. Don't think twice the price is a little more expensive though.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007 - 12:01:38 PM »
Other advantages of a 4-post lift:

1. With a wheel-kit, you can move it around your garage, even with a car on it. Move the lift and/or your car out of the way. Even roll your car
        outside while it is on the lift. Gives you the utmost in versatility and flexibility. A 2-post lift never moves once it's installed.
    2. Gives you an extra parking space. When you're not working on your car, just raise it up to get it out of the way, or to pull another car underneath.
        I would never do that with a 2-post lift.
    3. Storage. When not needed for working on your car, you can get inexpensive panels to go between the runways to make it a solid platform. Then you
        can park ATV's and other stuff on it to get them out of the way. Can't do that with a 2-post lift.
    4. Safety. A car can't fall off of a properly designed 4-post lift.
    5. A 2-post lift should be professionally installed. Concrete must have certain specifications, etc. Bolts must be installed in the concrete.
       Just bolt the 4-post lift together and use. It can even be used on a gravel or dirt floor as long as its level.
Wow, never realized all those benefits of 4 post lifts.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007 - 12:12:18 PM »
Got another 4 post lift question;

Can you use a 4 post lift to lower the body over the k-frame & engine as an assembly (like the factory did).  Reason I ask is I am planning on doing this on my latest resto - a #'s matching 383 Challenger R/T.  I've done before with my old 2 post lifts and was wondering how it can be done with a 4 post...

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007 - 04:44:23 PM »
Got another 4 post lift question;

Can you use a 4 post lift to lower the body over the k-frame & engine as an assembly (like the factory did).  Reason I ask is I am planning on doing this on my latest resto - a #'s matching 383 Challenger R/T.  I've done before with my old 2 post lifts and was wondering how it can be done with a 4 post...

I'd have to think about that one for a while. The point would probably go to the 2-post lift on this one. Although I'll bet there is someone out there ingenious enough to do it. Each has its strong points and weak points and I'm not saying either is better, I was just pointing out some of the benefits of the 4-post lift that many people don't consider. For what I'm going to use it for, the 4-post has a lot more advantages.

You could also think of it this way: How many times will you be lowering a body, vs how often would you use extra parking space/ storage space, etc.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007 - 04:47:02 PM »
The Backyard buddy is nice, watched their video. Don't think twice the price is a little more expensive though.

Yes, I considered that, but when I found some of the videos on the internet of things that happened to the cheap 4-post lifts, I decided it was worth it. If you car falls on the ground, or it falls on you, you'll be spending a lot more than the initial difference. Ounce of prevention...

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007 - 08:33:49 PM »
I hear ya.
The best selling one in the country is the proform 7000. After doing some research it's looking pretty good.
All the reviews I've seen are positive.(fishn4cuda is one of dozens I've read)

At 111" a.f.f., my ceiling height concerns me with two 52" cars. Seems they'll just fit.
My concern is how do I keep the top car from hitting the ceiling without riding up with it each time :dunno:
That'd be fun for a while, but it'd get old :grinyes:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:08:16 AM »

At 111" a.f.f., my ceiling height concerns me with two 52" cars. Seems they'll just fit.
My concern is how do I keep the top car from hitting the ceiling without riding up with it each time :dunno:
That'd be fun for a while, but it'd get old :grinyes:

Low tech
   Set your car to the right heigth, and put a piece of tape on the leg of the lift. Next time you can just raise it to the tape.

High tech
   Get one of those cheap infrared door alarms at radio shack. Make sure its the one with the infrared beam and receiver, not one of the ultrasonic or motion detection ones. Also make sure it's one of the ones that just sounds a tone one time, instead of a constant sound. Once you have the car as high as you want it, set up the alarm so that the top of the car just breaks the beam. That way, every time your car gets to the right heigth, the tone will sound.

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:40:07 AM »
I have a two post asymmetric and love it. you can run tranny jacks underneath and it much easier to work under. My old 4 post was not so easy. the 4 post was nice for tightening down suspension because car was sitting at ride height. The two post is better IMO at everything else. I seen someone mentioned exhaust on a 4 post. The problem is the rear end should be jacked up to get over the axle on a two post the axle hanging down. Everything is easily accessible. You can also lift the body off the k-frame with suspension and motor. Asymmetrical is the way to go so you don't have to much weight hanging out front. I installed mine using the manual. All it is drilling holes for concrete anchoring bolts. The concrete should be at least 6" thick of course the thicker the better mine is 12" where the hoist sits. I was told by several manufacturers that if the car is lifted correctly it doesnt have to be even bolted down (I wouldn't though). Just my 2 cents having had both styles. I bought mine off ebay from a local garage going under for about $1000.00 delivered.
Good luck
Todd

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007 - 02:25:33 PM »
Todd, 
Thanks for your input.  Unlike most people looking at these lifts, I have neither a space (2000+ sq ft shop at home) nor ceiling height concerns (15ft ceilings).  I just want a lift because I am spoiled and HATE working under cars flat on my back.  I think after considering all arguments I am going to look for a 2 post lift again.  It's what I am used to  afterall...

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007 - 03:35:59 PM »
The height is the bad part my 2 post is 12' 3" tall. There may be some not quite as tall especially if you have don't have the over head bar. Then you can lift till the car gets close to the ceiling. My buddy bought a house and wanted one in his garage but most residential concrete is about 4" thick around here. so he got 2 steel plate 3/8 thick by 2' by 5' to disperse the weight worked good so far.