Author Topic: The Crazy Cheesehead's '69 340-S Cuda Pictures  (Read 4420 times)

Offline TheCrazyCheesehead

The Crazy Cheesehead's '69 340-S Cuda Pictures
« on: February 20, 2006 - 02:17:39 PM »
As you all have requested is pictures of my babies. Seen as the only one i have laid my hands on in a while is the '69 here are those pictures. Well i should give a bit of history on this puppy. Everything changed one morning leaving my house and driving up the wrong street for some dumb reason, but as fate would have it there sitting on the corner of the next block was this beautiful blue '68 'Cuda with non original engine and rusted to hell rockers and massive amount of body work, which i did think about for about a week until someone else bought it. Ever sence laying my eyes on that '68 i knew i want a a body barracuda. For the next few months I searched high and low for a suitible barracuda. My pursuits lead me to a great group of guys know as the 67-69 barracuda's owners group. Which i have several great friendships which is how i got my '68. Also out ot Wildcat Autos, which in it self was a endless loop of dead ends. For about three months i watch ebay looking for the car i wanted, which was something with a console, bucket seats, a 340 or bigger. Finally saw the '69 it went up once and i was like nah i can't afford at the time. Then the next week it came up and i was like yea what the hell and started calling my bank and was like can you guys get me a loan for a classic car that needs work and they were like hell yea what is the potiential price on the thing. So about a week later i got the loan and won the auction for the cuda, all original 69 340-S fastback. and of course the pictures on ebay hid **** like always. But i still don't regret it. With the date set to pick it up, i wait patiently by cleaning out my uncles garage as i had no where else to store it and i was like screw waiting to get out of college and find a job, then a house. Me and my uncle Terry took the trip out to Jersey and back to pick her up in two days. Lets just say i was like never again, at least next time i'll take a little more time for travel. But the look on people's faces when we went threw the tolls was great. One guy i sat there for a few minutes chatting to him about and he reconisied it right away and was like sweet a barracuda. Well i got it home rolled into the garage and remove the grills right away knowing how much of a pain it is to replace them. About a week later i decide it was time to dig into the engine and find out if she will turn over by hand, and nope. then proceeded to open the enigne up. the pictures will say more then i can ever say about them. I just remember me sitting in the engine bay unbolting the heads and lifting one up and getting my feet wet as the head came off the tired out 340. After talking to many people i decide to rebuilt the little 340 and make her a bit more robust then she was. And that is where she sits.
Bryan The Crazy Cheesehead
'69 340-S Fastback Barracuda

Re: The Crazy Cheesehead's '69 340-S Cuda Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:23:54 PM »
More pictures.....Oh by the way i am a quality photo freak, sorry about the size...

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:25:32 PM »
More pictures.....Oh by the way i am a quality photo freak, sorry about the size...

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:26:39 PM »
More pictures

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:30:58 PM »
more photos

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:33:55 PM »
More photos

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006 - 02:40:05 PM »
Looks to me like you are making some good progress!  Very cool!   Thanks for all the pics!   :worshippy   :wave:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006 - 03:13:02 PM »
very nice.Love the photos.I have a 69 in my garage just waiting for the weather to warm up so i can drop in the new engine and tranny.I have had mine 13 years this aug.she was my daily driver for the first 6 years then decided to redo her and will be back out pounding the streets this spring.Are you gonna keep the same color?And keep the photos coming that was a bad mistake i made by not taking photos of mine.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006 - 03:13:37 PM »
Wow,
  I don't think I would have touched that engine with a 10 foot pole. Nice job.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006 - 03:49:22 PM »
Ok guys thanks for the complaiments.  :cheers:  But I have to say without the engine builders help that engine would have became a target or a boat anchor. Also the engine is why i sortive got the name as the crazy cheesehead but also because i bought the 69 sight unseen. She will be keeping her original colors they just have grown on me. At first i was like nah i am going to paint her black and change the interior. The more i sat in her and the more i worked on her the color grew and became part of who she is. You know sortive adding on to her soul. Yea the other day i found some unmolested color undersome trim and dam it is a sweet color that i am going to have to have matched. She is going to be a sleeper car by far. I can tell you the engine was a said sight when i saw her. That sortive put me in this what to do kinda state because i knew the engine was going to be costly at that point, and would slow the process of getting her on the road, and you all know how one thing snowballs into another. Well lets just say she went from being a lets get her on the road and drive her and do small things here and there to, I am doing a complete restoration after i get the 68 here now... Oh i found some more pictures of the engine, and one of me pulling the engine/tranny about a year ago in 30 degree temps with out a heater in the garage because my engine builder had acess to some hot tanking machines he wasn't sure he was going to have acess to them soon, but ended up buying the business that had the machines. The work done on the engine was all new bearings, cam, forged light wieght pistons, forged connecting rods, original forged crank which was beautiful, all eight cyclinders have been slieeved, new oil pump, new bolts, pretty much a complete rebuild and beefing up.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006 - 08:25:18 AM »
Great story Cheesehead!! She will be an awesome beast when you're done.  Please keep the update pics coming!  I love watching them come to life.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Swedefish

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006 - 09:55:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing cheesehead. Love to see this A-body come to live  :thumbsup:

Offline mikey1

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006 - 06:18:57 PM »
thank you for sharing that story. Very cool. The A body cudas were so bad, but I don't remember seeing many, even "back in the day " :dunno:
I know what you mean by the looks on people's faces when they seen her!!
I always loved them.
Your car will sure turn some heads when your done !
 :cheers:
Mikey
 :cheers:
Schist happens to Gneiss people

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006 - 02:40:40 AM »
Great job mate, looks like your making great progress.

After seeing how the engine was, it almost looks too nice to put back in the car now.

Id be tempted to clearcoat it, and put it in place of the tv.Then every night I would sit and watch the engine all night long. (lol screw "lost", Im watching "piston"!)

Oldschool

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006 - 08:23:56 PM »
Looks like it's coming right along!    :cheers:    :cooldancing:    ....Oldschool