Author Topic: Gathering Ideas - Project Cheap Challenger - "Save the Shell"  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: Gathering Ideas - Project Cheap Challenger - "Save the Shell"
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006 - 05:11:03 AM »
Harms,

I'm doing something similar,  rebuild on the cheap.  While not investing a lot of money,  the trade off is investing more time, both in looking for parts and in doing the work myself. That said, Swap Meets,  any and every one you can get to.  Mopar, general, hot rod, whatever.  I've found $40 vinyl tops, $20 & $40 Auto consoles, even found a $100 Manual Console at a Chevy guy's booth.  eBay will sometimes yield bargains, if you're not in a hurry,  I bought a flat hood from eBay and when I picked it up, the guy had a sure-grip pumpkin he sold me for $100 in nice shape.  Just keep turning over rocks.  I'm having as much fun finding the stuff as I am working on the car.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline CUDAMAN1970

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006 - 05:41:49 PM »
Sounds like this is going to be a fun project.  I assume from the discussion that the 73-74 b-body sunroof will work in a 70-74 barracuda - I'm getting some ideas from this thread.

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006 - 06:19:33 PM »
I got the rear half of a Challenger Passenger Fender....Rot free....surface rust with paint and dirt included. If your interested, I'll get some pics....I may have some dash pieces as well....standard dash though
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006 - 07:16:36 PM »
CUDAMAN1970,
I think the Cuda roof may be shorter front to back that the Challenger roof?  :dunno:

If so, the B-body stuff will work. Measure your car, the Challenger top from the front to rear window molding is 56 3/8" inches on mine following the curvature of the roof.

The B- body sunroof pan just barely fits in the Challenger.

Barry

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006 - 07:17:43 PM »
Sure Twist, sounds good, you can e-mail me pics at bugframes@msn.com The car was a standard dash car, and I found out that allot of the dash, wiring, and other missing parts were in the trunk, I''l just be needing to upgrade some of it. BTW, the drivers fender has the same rust issues, and both quarters will at least need patches in the rear below the center body line.
 :thumbsup:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006 - 01:51:10 PM »
You're gonna love this one! Notice how I mentioned leaving it Orange might be problematic concerning many unknowing folks mistaking it for a (Dukes of Hazard Orange) 69 Charger?
:hyper:

So................I get the beast home (FINALLY) and tear it appart. I found out that it's got fewer issues than I thought, pretty solid old car! And while cleaning the interior found this on the floor (see pic of plate frame) The car was last registered back in 1990 so it looks like it's been a point of frustration for at least one of the past owners getting "Nice Charger" comments!

:roflsmiley:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006 - 02:58:10 PM »
wow had that happen twice this weekend and had to laugh,i guess i will have to get one of those made.car looks good did you finally decide on the color?

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006 - 03:23:27 PM »
Dang, that car is very solid for its age!!! :clapping:  Glad you could save it, Harms. :woo:  As for the parts you'd like to track down, you can find good deals at swap meets nationwide.  You'll see guys selling nice items for a fair price, while others will have junk with a higher price tag. :22yikes:  I'd try to help you out more if I had any extra parts that you needed, but I don't.  Be sure to keep us all updated on this project as I'd love to see the final result. :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006 - 03:27:01 PM »
Harms, Where are you located. I may have some goody parts. Fishn
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006 - 05:21:52 PM »
I'm in Spokane Washington, thank God for Fed Ex Ground!    :cooldancing:

daves70

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006 - 05:33:44 PM »
Nice car Scott. It doesn't matter what it used to be, what matters is what you're going to make it. :grinyes: By the way, I still have to take those pic's of the shifter and send to you!!  :ylsuper:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006 - 05:51:24 PM »
Do you know a guy named Rod in Idaho?  He's got lots of ebody parts and will sell them at a fair price.  I can get his number if you need it and I'm sure I'll see you at the show on the 7th.  Nice car!

I'm in Spokane Washington, thank God for Fed Ex Ground!    :cooldancing:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006 - 06:56:31 PM »
are your interior panels & console gone or just in bad shape?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006 - 07:18:43 PM »
CODY, nope, don't know Rod, I'd like to talk with him for sure

Bullit, the console is missing, it has door panels but they are in pretty rough shape (drivers is the worse, missing a big chunk). The car originally had a tan interior. It has seat belts still which is nice, dash is all there and complete but some parts are in rough shape from being exposed to rain and weather for several years.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006 - 07:24:45 PM »
I know a couple guys that should be able to help you out that are close to you.  I will talk to you more at the show in two weeks.  Are you setting up a both?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.