Author Topic: Wanted: Flat 1970-74 E-body Barracuda / Challenger Hoods  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Green Drop Top

Wanted: Flat 1970-74 E-body Barracuda / Challenger Hoods
« on: February 22, 2006 - 03:43:22 PM »
As most of you know our company Harms Automotive sells Shaker Hood conversion kits. We are actively seeking out flat hoods to purchase and stock for our customers who may need a flat core hood.

We will buy a single hood or multiples. If the hood has accident or rust history it will not be usable. Please contact me if you have one to offer.

Thanks!
Scott

cell 801-940-2689 home 509-922-9115

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Wanted: Flat 1970-74 E-body Barracuda / Challenger Hoods
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006 - 04:00:35 PM »
Scott,

I'm guessing it must be hard for you to find good cores. I would think the supply would be dwindling.  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006 - 04:01:53 PM »
How much are good flat hood worth??   :dunno:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006 - 04:08:25 PM »
How much are good flat hood worth??   :dunno:

If you have one, I'll give ya 20 bucks for it, and I'll turn around and sell it to Scott.  :bigsmile:

Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 - 04:14:40 PM by MEKrunner »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006 - 05:25:06 PM »
Actualy it hasn't been a problem finding cores yet, I'm sure the day will come but for now it's not a huge issue. However, I do have customers who either don't know where to look, or don't want to, for them I am trying to stack a few in the corner so that it's a non issue. Trust me, I am not getting rich in this deal, in fact if I break even on a hood I'm happy.

Value is really a matter of what seems resonable considering condition, Cuda or Challenger, and location (shipping costs). Going rate seems to be between $75.00 -$200.00 or so for a Challenger, $100.00 & up for a Barracuda. Anyway, if you have one to sell please send me some (good) pictures and an asking price, I am most concerned with rust, especially around the hinge points, rear cornvers, and outer pinch weld areas. I can not use the flat - slope nosed Challenger hoods, only the style with the tri-star emblem on the nose.

Thank you!
 :cheers:

Offline Ryans71challenger

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006 - 06:15:39 PM »
can you post the difference between the two? I was not awarthat there were different flat hoods. I'm picking one up because I want to do a shaker hood eventually.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006 - 07:21:20 PM »
Simple, the one you want has a three pointed star shape stamped right into the front of the hood, a pot metal chromed Dodge Tri-Star emblem goes there. The other one (that you don't want) has "DODGE" letters accross a flat curved front surface (sort of like a dual scoop Rallye hood looks).

Now, just for the record, Chrysler did make some Shaker hoods based on the flat peak design, but they were sold over the counter and it's never been proven that one was ever installed on a production line car. So, you could build a hood using our kit and it will look and work fine, it just won't be considered 100% "correct"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 - 07:26:44 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006 - 07:27:34 PM »
Emblem

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006 - 05:12:01 AM »
Scott, I have at least 1 really nice 70 Challenger hood, would like to swap it for a Barracuda hood.  Are you guys going to Carlisle or any of the Midwest shows?  I was wanting to try one of your kits out.  If not, how do you recommend shipping?  Can't verify it was the original, but attached picture is of a February 71 built n96 car I had that had the sloped nose.  No evidence of damage.  I personally stripped every inch of paint off the car and the hood had as many coats as the rest!! 

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006 - 06:45:05 AM »
Very nice car! If it is original (which it sounds like it may be) that's the only one I've ever heard of. Please send me detailed pics of the hood top and bottom, and more details about the car like a fender tag pic and engine shots, other Shaker componants as well if you can. Do you recall what color the Shaker bubble was originally? I suspect that it's rare to see these because 71 Shaker Hood Challengers were rare in the first place and so few are around in original condition to document. At any rate, very cool!
:thumbsup:

On the flat core hoods, shipping accross the country is usually around $100.00, I used to ship via Forward Air trucking but the don't have a hub here in Spokane so that's out, we would need to look into that one more, I know Greyhound will ship a hood wrapped in cardboard for around the same $100.00 but damage is more likely with them. I don't exchange Challenger for Cuda hoods simply because I have a larger need for Cuda hoods and they are harder to locate, but I'm sure we could work something out as long as I have one in stock. Currently I don't drive to Carlisle or any other East of the Rockies events, if I attend I fly out with inventory shipped ahead, hood exchanges or sales of any kind would need to be done via regular shipping. Anyway, I'll help all I can.

Thanks,

Scott

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006 - 10:12:38 AM »
I just sold a truck load of nice cuda and challenger flat hoods to Gene two weeks ago. Saved one 70 flat cuda hood for later. I'll keep my eyes open for more here in the south.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006 - 10:19:17 AM »
I just sold a truck load of nice cuda and challenger flat hoods to Gene two weeks ago. Saved one 70 flat cuda hood for later. I'll keep my eyes open for more here in the south.

Yea, Gene gets allot of them, he's always on the hunt, in fact I sold him some myself a couple years ago. One things for sure, he sure didn't want to give me much for mine, and they were NICE!

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006 - 06:09:31 PM »
Scott, I sent you the best picture of the bottom of that hood I had.  That picture was from 2000 before I restored the yellow car.  It was a numbers/broadcast sheet, 340 slapstick non R/T car.  I believe 1 of 34 built.  Car was built February 12th if I remember correctly.  And yes, it was a real n96 car.  The few pictures I have it were from a friend as it was a few years before I got a digital camera!!   

These 2 cars are how I came up with my screen name years ago.  How is this for some small Mopar world irony.  The Cuda is a factory shaker/rubber bumper/roadlamp/leather interior car.  All of which was gone when I got the car.  I tracked down the original owner of the car through some crazy luck tied into the fact the car retained its original window sticker showing where it came from.  Gentleman ordered the car with manual steering and brakes, 14" steel wheels with WHITEWALL tires.  Planned on putting headers on it right away etc..  Never did anything to it.  Sold it to the 2nd owner in 1979 who just happend to be Gene Gregory...  Apparently all the original parts from the car ended up on a hemi car 20 some years ago.

The tawny gold cuda belonged to a buddy at the time.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006 - 07:17:15 PM »
Your 71 Cuda looks SWEET! That is ironic about Gene owning it! Have you seen the 71 Hemi Cuda that's for sale on ebay right now (bid to over 1 million already). It looks just like your car!

Thanks for the pics, it sure does look original to me!  :thumbsup:

*Is that Tawny Gold car a Hemi? I knew someone who had one a few years ago.

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006 - 07:31:44 PM »
Yeah, I did see that car, and yeah, for some reason I liked it!!  The Cuda was coded for 14 steelies and dog dishes, but I had these 15" ones painted orange.  The broadcast sheet called for 450 caps and ev2 wheels.  After I got ahold of the original owner, he sent me pictures from when the car was right off the truck.  Black wheels.  Car was built 12-18.  Never say never with these cars, sometimes they don't even match the buildsheet!!

That tawney gold car was a 340 column auto car.  Original paint CA car.  I just found this CD that a friend had burned for me from his camera in spring of 2000.  Looking at pictures of that tawney gold car again.  Leather interior, rallye dash with cold a/c etc..  amazing what any of these cars were worth just 6 short years ago.