Author Topic: Wanted: Flat 1970-74 E-body Barracuda / Challenger Hoods  (Read 6119 times)

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
Re: Wanted: Flat 1970-74 E-body Barracuda / Challenger Hoods
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006 - 11:11:59 PM »
Scott, I sent you the best picture of the bottom of that hood I had.  That picture was from 2000 before I restored the yellow car.  It was a numbers/broadcast sheet, 340 slapstick non R/T car.  I believe 1 of 34 built.  Car was built February 12th if I remember correctly.  And yes, it was a real n96 car.  The few pictures I have it were from a friend as it was a few years before I got a digital camera!!   

These 2 cars are how I came up with my screen name years ago.  How is this for some small Mopar world irony.  The Cuda is a factory shaker/rubber bumper/roadlamp/leather interior car.  All of which was gone when I got the car.  I tracked down the original owner of the car through some crazy luck tied into the fact the car retained its original window sticker showing where it came from.  Gentleman ordered the car with manual steering and brakes, 14" steel wheels with WHITEWALL tires.  Planned on putting headers on it right away etc..  Never did anything to it.  Sold it to the 2nd owner in 1979 who just happend to be Gene Gregory...  Apparently all the original parts from the car ended up on a hemi car 20 some years ago.

The tawny gold cuda belonged to a buddy at the time.
you mean tawny gold Challenger?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006 - 03:23:50 AM »
Behind the Orange Cuda you can see the corner of the tawney gold Cuda.  The Challenger was a FY1 car.

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006 - 08:54:29 AM »
I believe one is for sale on Ebay now about $400 and one just recently sold for about the same price

I would love to add a shaker hood setup for my 70 challenger convertible hemi conversion

Joel
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline xblade

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006 - 09:23:02 AM »
isnt it just a matter of time before goodmark or other company produces a new shaker? I'm not knocking Harms or others making shaker products but goodmark is already making the R/T hood way cheaper than the shaker conversion. I understand they are a large co. with GM parts and all  and can absorb tooling costs to keep overall prices down.They would have sold ten times the shaker hoods compared to the R/T, IMO.

Offline CUDAMAN1970

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006 - 11:19:03 AM »
I talked to the guys at Mega Parts in Coon Valley, WI  a couple of weeks ago.  They said Goodmark has a reproduction steel Challenger shaker hood in the works to compliment R/T hood Goodmark already offers. 

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006 - 11:36:43 AM »
I talked to the guys at Mega Parts in Coon Valley, WI  a couple of weeks ago.  They said Goodmark has a reproduction steel Challenger shaker hood in the works to compliment R/T hood Goodmark already offers. 
   I had heard a rumor like that.  Wonder if they will do Cuda?  Imagine half the work, the underframe was already done with the Challenger hood?  Flat and r/t hoods probably have the same bottom half?

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006 - 03:23:33 PM »
Actually all of the above about Goodmark is a bit off base, keep in mind that Harms will soon be a Goodmark/Shermans dealer so knocking thier products is the furthest thing from my mind. That being said.......

No, they do not have plans to make a Challenger Shaker Hood.

However, they are currently developing a Cuda version, don't look to see one anytime soon, other projects (the long awaited Cuda fenders and quarters having priority).

These hoods will reflect the same quality as many of thier other items, thinner steel, not 100% accurate, but good enough for many. The price for them is gesstimated at $1,200.00 or so, but that's just a ballpark.

Bottom line? if you want an (accurate) Challenger Shaker hood, you will probably find the Harms kit and an original flat hood your best option. If you want a Cuda Shaker hood that is not only more accurate than ANY current (or probable future) Shaker hood kit OR complete hood, you will also likely find the Harms kit and your flat hood the best option.

If you don't mind waiting what could be a significant amount of time for the Goodmark Cuda hood (they've been promising Cuda quarters going on 2 years now), and don't mind giving up some factory correctness in terms of cosmetic features and details and some metal thickness, then that may be your best bet. Either way we will carry both when available so the choice is yours.

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006 - 03:32:12 PM »
Scott, kinda off topic here, but are the nuts that hold the trim ring on painted body color?  You also mentioned you were stocking up on cores, do you have a nice Cuda core now for sale along with one of your kits?

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006 - 03:36:55 PM »
I have two now but both are currently spoken for, If you want one I will add your name to my list and when I find one and it's your turn in the rotation I'll provide you with the details, just let me know. Prices will vary with what the hoods actually cost me.

Thank you,
Scott

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006 - 05:39:22 AM »
Scott, you have a PM.

Thanks,
FY1

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006 - 07:54:54 PM »
I just sold a truck load of nice cuda and challenger flat hoods to Gene two weeks ago. Saved one 70 flat cuda hood for later. I'll keep my eyes open for more here in the south.
a truckload of hoods?,thats kind of disturbing to me that you have the hoard of cars you have and parts like that.You know you cant take'um with ya dont ya?,leave some for the rest of us will ya?lol :bigsmile:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline HemiChallenger

• E-Body Boyz
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006 - 09:41:51 PM »
my 71 had the sloped nose and i am currecntly lookin for the correct hood to build a shaker conversion

WANTED: 1970 Original FJ6 Sassy Grass Road Runner, Original FJ6 Cars Only

Offline rich120

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006 - 03:53:28 PM »
Flat Hood available of my 71 challenger survivor....  anyone in the NYC area looking for one?