Author Topic: Crappola! What's the best way to fix this?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Crappola! What's the best way to fix this?
« on: February 24, 2006 - 07:10:26 PM »
Well, I got the new rotisserie and was putting the car on it when a nut came un welded in side the frame.

The nut is the one on the front frame rail and is in side the frame.  What is the best way to reweld it on?  Should I just try to weld it through the little hole or should I make a access panel in the frame to get to it?

Please let me know your thoughts!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006 - 07:17:21 PM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Stacked440

Re: Crappola! What's the best way to fix this?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006 - 07:13:05 PM »
hmm, id just mig it back on.  Not sure if theres any negative effects to that..err wait, thats suppose to go inside the hole and stick through?
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 - 07:16:55 PM »
Good idea... the hard part is the access.

Take a look at the 3rd picture.... that little hole on the bottom of the frame is the only access to the back of the nut.  I could barely get the nut out of the hole!  Is it possible to get to the back of the nut from that little hole?

hmm, id just mig it back on.  Not sure if theres any negative effects to that..err wait, thats suppose to go inside the hole and stick through?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006 - 08:39:29 PM »
I guess I can just put it in and hold it in place and weld it from the outside and just retap it when I done.

Both sides of the bolt were welded but only one was making contact and holding on to metal.  A very "standard" weld from what I understand for the factory.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006 - 08:47:14 PM »
I had one of those come off on my dad's challenger. I was in a rush and didnt want to bust out the MIG and start grinding the frame so I decided to hold the nut with my fingers inside the frame....after for what seemed like an eternity I finally got the bolt to thread. If I ever have to repair it I will probably just weld it from the outside and grind it down so it isnt terribly noticable.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006 - 09:36:21 PM »
Thanks!  That is what I'm going to do.

I had one of those come off on my dad's challenger. I was in a rush and didnt want to bust out the MIG and start grinding the frame so I decided to hold the nut with my fingers inside the frame....after for what seemed like an eternity I finally got the bolt to thread. If I ever have to repair it I will probably just weld it from the outside and grind it down so it isnt terribly noticable.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006 - 11:53:39 PM »
I had the same problem on my 70 Cuda and stuck the nut up through the hole and threaded the bolt on and tightened it up and the tacked it in place. It worked but I'm not sure if it would hold if it was taken off and on a bunch of times. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006 - 01:10:11 AM »
I had the same problem on my Cuda. I took a rotary file in the drill and opened up the hole to where I could just fit a hex nut the same size in the hole. I then started a bolt in the nut and used the bolt to hold the nut in place just flush with the surface to tack it. I then welded all around the hole, then dressed the weld down with the grinder. Worked great, and that nut will never come loose!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006 - 01:32:34 AM »
Very nice!  Sounds like that will work well for me too.

I had the same problem on my Cuda. I took a rotary file in the drill and opened up the hole to where I could just fit a hex nut the same size in the hole. I then started a bolt in the nut and used the bolt to hold the nut in place just flush with the surface to tack it. I then welded all around the hole, then dressed the weld down with the grinder. Worked great, and that nut will never come loose!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006 - 09:09:21 AM »

That is a very good idea.  If you don't have the time or pateince to do something like that, I would suggest cutting 2 small ears or triangle nothces on either side of the hole so that you can have some material of the nut expsoed to weld to.  Something like this:

<O> if you understand

Good luck and snap a photo of what you have done.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006 - 08:23:18 PM »
It was fairly easy.  I held it in place with a long metal rod and Tig welded it.  Re-tapped it and grinded it down.  WORKED GREAT!  Better then new!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. :working: