Author Topic: Do you think it'll run cool ?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline tancuda

Do you think it'll run cool ?
« on: February 26, 2006 - 09:57:02 AM »
I was wondering if a hemi run cool with a 22" rad (I think it's a 22"). :dunno:

Really nice car by the way  :drool: :drool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-HEMI-CUDA-CLONE_W0QQitemZ4616816583QQcategoryZ6409QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: Do you think it'll run cool ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006 - 10:08:19 AM »
I have a 22 incher and my built 383 has never been remotely close to overheating. The Hemi Cuda on eBay should be fine, if it had an automatic trans and A/C then it would probably overheat.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline tancuda

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006 - 10:10:30 AM »
We learn everyday...thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006 - 10:14:27 AM »
I'd bet it will run hot. I've owned several big block cars with 22 inch radiators, and they've all run hot. You may be Ok most of the time, but get caught in traffic on a hot 90 degree day and that 22 inch radiator will be tested. I had a 70 Challenger R/T 440-auto ragtop with a factory 22 inch radiator, i talked with the original owner and he told me that car ran hot right off the lot in 1970, he swapped in a 26 incher in the first year. That would be an easy swap to a 26 inch radiator, or even an aftermarket aluminum 22 would be better.

Thats a nice car, i love that color combo. Looks like it's nicely done, I'd only change a few things on it (rallye dash, put the coil where it belongs, get rid of the incorrect magnum wheels)  I wonder what the engine looks like under the shaker?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tancuda

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006 - 10:23:20 AM »
Thanks hemi71,
if you put a 26" rad, the rad support still has an opening for a 22" !  :dunno:

Do you think it's worth the change anyway ?

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006 - 11:10:29 AM »
It made the 70 ragtop i had run cool.....but you can change the radiator support if you want to open up the opening....that will lose the numbers stamped in the support though.  If you use a griffin aluminum radiator, you MIGHT be able to get by.  Gotta remember what is OK with a 383 is a whole nother story when a hemi or RB block is in there. The cooling demands of a hemi or RB 440 are greater than a B block. A fan shroud is an absolute must! Another improvement would be running an electric fan. They work great in those situations where the vast majority of overheating occurs (stop and go traffic)  I had a 440-6 superbird that would overheat in those situations, and since i used to drive it in parades, i installed a pusher electric fan. That solved the running hot in parades problem. Just wired it to a switch under the dash....when i saw it getting a little hot, just flipped the switch and she cooled down 20-25 degrees in about a minute or so.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006 - 02:11:12 PM »
Do you think it's worth the change anyway ?

It is quite a hard swap because you have to find a 26" core support and replace the whole old core with it, which means you will have to drill all the spot welds on the front and replace it. There was a member that switched his over and I remember it took him quite a while to do it. I still dont think it will run hot because you dont have any accesories, but for peace of mind you can always go with a 3-row radiator from a Roadrunner or an Aluminum aftermarket radiator from a company like Be-Cool.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006 - 12:49:59 AM »
just curious where is the 26'' measured..
overall?
finned part only?
diagonnaly like a TV? ;D

and if you were stuck with the smaller one, wouldn't more rows do the trick (deeper)?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006 - 08:53:31 PM »
Well to keep my cuda running nice with my 4406pk i used a bee cool rad and used dual electric fans.I also add redline water wetters to help and the car runs 180 degrees all day long in the heat of 95 degrees.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)