Author Topic: vinyl seat replacement  (Read 2536 times)

Offline 70 340

vinyl seat replacement
« on: February 26, 2006 - 10:56:31 AM »
Have any of you replaced the vinyl seat covers and pad on 70 chall? Without to much trouble.
A upholsterer buy my house charges $200 per bucket and $100 for the rear seat.Done everything
else on this car myself. Just dont know if its worth trying myself.Got everything at legendary.Any
advice would be appreciated.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: vinyl seat replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006 - 02:01:58 PM »
Rev-it-up, and Redline did their own I know. I know it's a two person job, and from those prices quoted you... you might have a decent deal there. It's a tedious job, that you might need a few special tools for. Hog ring clamps comes to mind.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006 - 02:24:35 PM »
If you live in Ohio, then I know a place that will do both front buckets for under 150 bucks. You can do them yourself and as long as you take your time and have someone helping you probably will be fine. The only tools you should need is a hog ringer, glue, and a hair dryer to warm the skins up so they slip on easier. Like MEK said, Rev and Red can help you out. They have a this how-to on their website...

http://ridesthatrock.com/html/upholstery.html
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 70 340

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006 - 05:41:20 PM »
Killer that sounds better.Where at in Ohio I live in ann arbor Michigan.I like Ohio,Ceadar point and mopar nationals.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006 - 06:14:15 PM »
I live just east of Cleveland, but the upholstery shop is about 45 min south-east of me. Ann arbor isnt that far from the Ohio border so you are probably between 2-2.5 hours away from this place. Anyhow the upholstery shop is run by Menonites, so you cant call them. They take a little bit of time to get the seats done (around 4-6 weeks), but for the price and quality...they cant be beat. The shop does all types of seats, including custom rods and stuff of that nature. I recommended this place to a member from Toledo(Tropicalcats) and he wrote them a letter about his situation, so you might want to do the same. Their address is as follows:

Sullivan Upholstery
97 Twp. Rd. 391
Sullivan, OH 44880

Hours: Mon-Sat, 9:00-5:00

Here are a couple of pics of the seats they did for my dad's Challenger. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 - 04:13:21 PM »
As the folks above have already stated, we did recover our front buckets and the rear seat ourselves with new leather interior from Legendary.  It was really pretty straight forward and with an ounce of common sense, anyone can do it.  It does take some time (it was our first time doing it).  Now that we're working on Pixies car, we will definately be doing the interior of the duster ourselves.  Should be a lot faster this time around. :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006 - 12:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the great pics K-M.  I'm going to try to do it (Rev makes it sound so easy!)!  Quick question  (Rev or Red)...

My seats are 70 cuda buckets.  I have new vinyl and foam from Legendary.  Do you cut the foam grove (the single groove that is pre-formed in the foam) to pull the vinyl seat though to give it the tuck effect?  Are there any other must knows or must do's that the first timer should know?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006 - 01:39:57 PM »
Thanks for the great pics K-M.  I'm going to try to do it (Rev makes it sound so easy!)!  Quick question  (Rev or Red)...

My seats are 70 cuda buckets.  I have new vinyl and foam from Legendary.  Do you cut the foam grove (the single groove that is pre-formed in the foam) to pull the vinyl seat though to give it the tuck effect?  Are there any other must knows or must do's that the first timer should know?

Hey Cody.  We didn't cut the foam groove, we went through the foam.  We haven't finished writing a description of all our pics, but here is the section of our website that covers our re-upholstering.  At least you will see some pictures that might make more sense.
http://www.ridesthatrock.com/html/upholstery.html

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006 - 04:59:55 PM »
GREAT PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!  That is exactly what I needed!  My seats were so bad that when I took them apart there wasn't much of anything left besides a frame.  And that needed to be welded up in 6 spots to make it work!

Did you use a coat hanger?  What was the white tubing that you put over the coat hanger?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

RedLine

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006 - 08:56:09 PM »
Hi CODY....     Regarding the coat hanger wire approach we used ...

You see the original listing wire in my right hand -- it was was pretty stiff-   stiffer and thicker guage than what I could find around here.  I did dig around to find some heavier coat hangers - (not the light guage shirt hangers from the dry cleaners) Then went and got that thick white tubing from Home Depot plumbing dept.  Together they formed a nice stiff listing, that was strong enough to push into the foam grove without bending, so we could connect the other wire from the leather seam with the hog rings.  as in this picture...

It required me and Rev together to do it - one of us to press both sides of the seat together, and one of us to hook the hog ring and clamp the wires.

Good luck to you   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006 - 09:06:31 PM by RedLine »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006 - 10:27:17 PM »
My wife said "I know they do it for fun, but I want them to hurry and put all the words to the pictures up" :roflsmiley:

She is trying to help me understand this.... I don't know why this is so hard for me! :1zhelp:

So you formed the wire with the white tubing on it to fit in the pre-formed seam in the foam... right?  So once you have the right shape, you threaded it into the sewn pocket of the seat bottom (vinyl or leather)?  right? 

This is where I get confused.... I would think that the next step would be to hog tie the peice you threaded in the seat bottom to the seat frame pulling it very tight.... but it looks like you made two pieces of the white wires and hog tied them together just on either side of the foam?

Sorry for not picking this up easier...  :clueless:

Your help is very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

RedLine

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006 - 11:21:55 PM »
Sorry its confusing...   you are soooo close.   

in the leather seam- we just used coat hanger- cuz it gets pulled way down in the foam

under the foam was the tubing.  ( I supposed we could have used tubing on both sides -- but I thought threading the tubing in the seam might have been hard)

this shot shows clamping the two together

here's the missing step that will bring it all together... after clamping the leather to the tubing in the step above -- we clamped the tube listing to the springs as in the picture below.  (pay no attention to my hands- attaching the leather to the frame came later)   We had to make a strong hook with a handle that allowed us to reach down into the foam- grab the listing with the hook - pull it up close to the springs and then clamp it with the hog rings
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006 - 11:23:31 PM by RedLine »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006 - 12:16:54 AM »
PERFECT!  I get it now! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it.  :thumbsup:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006 - 01:05:17 AM »
Cody, put them in the sun before you start, you'll be amazed how soft and stretchable the vinyl becomes when warm.
You'll get sweaty yourself with all the pulling and tugging. It's a real workout putting those on.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006 - 02:13:32 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:27:38 AM »
Great... thanks  :thumbsup:

Cody, put them in the sun before you start, you'll be amazed how soft and stretchable the vinyl becomes when warm.
You'll get sweatty yourself with all the pulling and tugging. It's a real workout putting those on.
Rob