Author Topic: Quarter skin to valance fitment problem  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

Quarter skin to valance fitment problem
« on: February 28, 2006 - 04:48:27 PM »
Hi, For those of you that have heard about the fitment problem
between the repop quarter skins and the rear valance panel but
haven't seen any pics, well here they are. This is the driver side
with the old original skin on top of the repop. This will be a time
consuming fix! Jeff
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007 - 06:44:50 PM by Mt.St.BigBlock »
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline common 27

Re: Quarter skin to valance fitment problem
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 - 05:03:32 PM »
If I'm seeing this right maybe easier to cut and shorten the valance. How much too long is it?
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 - 06:50:01 PM »
At least you have a flange on the quarter skin. My skins don't have any flange. I have to fabricate someting from scratch!

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 - 07:36:35 PM »
At least you have a flange on the quarter skin. My skins don't have any flange. I have to fabricate someting from scratch!

Hi Steve,  Well, it looks better in the pics then what it really is. That flange you
see tapers off to nothing two thirds of the way across. So there is nothing to
drill the second mounting hole into. So a "tab" will have to be fabed and welded
on after I put the flange where it needs to be. I guess I have two choices for
that, either cut a wedge out and reuse whats there for a flange and add to it, or
hammer and dolly the whole flange flat and reform it where it needs to be and add
to it for the second tab. I got time to think about it.  Jeff

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006 - 05:07:09 AM »
Yah, Since you have to essentially move those flanges inboard, you might be best off to cut the flange off completely, cut out part of the skin to put the flange out further, and weld the flange back on. That's about what I plan to do, except I have to make a flange first.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 - 04:21:26 PM »
Hey guys, and gals! Is there any way to re-do the picture attachments to this thread? I bought a re-production rear splash-pan for the cuda ( last spring) And am just now fitting it to the rear quarter that I replaced two years ago ( yeah, I had some other projects come between my love and me ! ) Anyways, I am finding some , , , , fitment problems between the " Year One rear quarter skins " and the replacement rear valance. I will post some pics of my own( as soon as I can get to the store and get batteries for the darned camera! ) But anyone thats run into this problem, and found a fix, if you could share with a old guy how you fixed it, I would really appreciate the poop outta it !
Thankz !
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007 - 06:53:22 PM »
Hi VPointcuda,
  I reposted those pics in the original post. I don't know why, but when they do a server swap/backup
the pics get lost but the text is still with us! I never got that fixed. Tried until the point of frustration
and just moved on to other areas of the car. To properly make a new flange I think I'd need one of those
Shrinker/Streacher machines. Its so darn hard to make because that flange is also on a curved section.
I'm sure a "real" metal person could do it, but its beyond me at this point! Goodluck, I hope the Goodmark
pieces that they're teasing us with will have the flange properly formed!  Jeff

Offline Bueller1

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007 - 10:10:14 PM »
Here are some pics of the patch I put on my Challenger after I reworked the edge where the valance attaches.

Basically I made  3 relief cuts where the mounting area for the valance was but left the upper bumper area and lower valance area alone so I had a reference of where to start & finish.Then I hammered & dollied that whole part flat extending the rear part of the 1/4 straight out the back.Next I made a template from the other side I hadn't touched yet & used it to lay out where i needed to make the bends/curve.A little heat from a propane torch & hammer & dolly it turned out pretty good & it's not looking like it will need a whole lot of filler either.Hope it helps.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007 - 02:01:57 PM »
Well, if I don't run into problems with this darned computer, Heres a couple shots of what I'm running into. Fortunately, Donny, the guy thats going to do the finish work and paint, said that he's dealy with this problem quite a few times and he will take care of it for me !             ( Phewww!)
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007 - 03:56:53 PM »
I had the same problem on my Challenger.  I ended up leaving the valance flange and about 3/8" from the back of the quarter and just replacing what I had to.

1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan